AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acclimating New Discus

Real Name
    Jody M.

Default Acclimating New Discus

I thought I would tap into the experience of the members of the forum on this one:

When acclimating new discus how long does it take them to start eating regularly?

When should I do my first water change with new discus?

When should I up the feeding to 4-5 times per day as they are 3-3.5 inches?

--------------------------

I received the fish yesterday and they are not interested in food quite yet.
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Acclimating New Discus

Quote Originally Posted by Jody View Post
    I thought I would tap into the experience of the members of the forum on this one:

When acclimating new discus how long does it take them to start eating regularly?

When should I do my first water change with new discus?

When should I up the feeding to 4-5 times per day as they are 3-3.5 inches?

--------------------------

I received the fish yesterday and they are not interested in food quite yet.
    1. It's very individual but give them at least one week before they start eating .

2. If your water is aged you can and should start the next day . I woul perform at least 50% WCs daily especially in the starting 3-4 weeks .
    3.You up and dose feedings according to their needs .
    Pour food , give them 30 min to eat and vacum the leftovers(turn off filters during feedings if they are strong and use prefilter to prevent food and poop rotting in your filter ) . Do this 2-3 times a day and they will start eating eventually.
    P.s ask the breeder what did he fed them with and try to start with their favorite food.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Jody, also watch for a mini-cycle the first week as you just added a considerable bioload in the tank. Large daily water changes will help with it.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

I also bump the temp to around 88-89 for a couple of weeks to speed up metabolism. This makes them eat like pigs!!

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I also bump the temp to around 88-89 for a couple of weeks to speed up metabolism. This makes them eat like pigs!!
    I am scared to do that with my cory cats in there! I have the temp set at 84 currently. You think it would harm the corys?

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Jody, also watch for a mini-cycle the first week as you just added a considerable bioload in the tank. Large daily water changes will help with it.
    Pat
    Thank you, Pat! I will monitor the parameters and do my water changes to prevent this.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    1. It's very individual but give them at least one week before they start eating .

2. If your water is aged you can and should start the next day . I woul perform at least 50% WCs daily especially in the starting 3-4 weeks .
    3.You up and dose feedings according to their needs .
    Pour food , give them 30 min to eat and vacum the leftovers(turn off filters during feedings if they are strong and use prefilter to prevent food and poop rotting in your filter ) . Do this 2-3 times a day and they will start eating eventually.
    P.s ask the breeder what did he fed them with and try to start with their favorite food.
    This is very helpful, Filip - I have a weir in my tank as well as a powerhead to keep the water circulating, though it is not very strong.

One concern of mine is that the tetra tropical granules that I am feeding them float on the surface and do not fall down. Will this be an issue long-term, or will they come to the top?

Jody-

Real Name
    Jody M.

Picture of the new fish!

IMG-2732.jpg

Jody-

Real Name
    Brian

I know cory's do well with discus but I'm not sure about going that high with them. Maybe someone else is more experienced with cory's. Their colors look good and the water look clean so I think you will be ok.

May I ask who you got these discus from?

Real Name
    Jody M.

I know cory's do well with discus but I'm not sure about going that high with them. Maybe someone else is more experienced with cory's. Their colors look good and the water look clean so I think you will be ok.

May I ask who you got these discus from?
    I got them from Uncle Sam's Discus out in L.A. and had them shipped to Tennessee. I had a great experience with them!

Jody-

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

You can pre-soak some granules in a small jar of water, when you see them sink in that you then pour it in the tank. Used to have to do that with North Fin krill gold

Real Name
    Filip

You can also tempt them with Beef heart , Brine Shrimp - Artemia or FDBW. I doubt they'll resist it even if they are still stressed out .

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    You can also tempt them with Beef heart , Brine Shrimp - Artemia or FDBW. I doubt they'll resist it even if they are still stressed out .
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    You can pre-soak some granules in a small jar of water, when you see them sink in that you then pour it in the tank. Used to have to do that with North Fin krill gold
    Thank you both for the help!

Tonight they are eating the granules that I am feeding them.

For the record these are TetraColor tropical granules. Has anyone here used them?

I have confirmed that all 5 are eating which I am very happy about.

I plan to use an auto-feeder for 3 feedings during the day while I am at work, and then in the morning and evening, feed them frozen treats.

Where can you obtain beef heart?

Jody-

Real Name
    Brian

For the record these are TetraColor tropical granules. Has anyone here used them?
    Shhhhhh... Don't tell anyone, but I use Tetra Bits as a supplement and always have.

You can buy online or make it yourself. There are many recipes on this forum if you search around, but I have recently cut mine down to the basics. 1 to 1 trimmed Beef Heart to (Pink) Shrimp (shells on is good but can cause issues on rare occasions), add some liquid vitamins, process into a paste and squish into freezer bags about 1/8" thick. Freeze.

Real Name
    Jody M.

Shhhhhh... Don't tell anyone, but I use Tetra Bits as a supplement and always have.

You can buy online or make it yourself. There are many recipes on this forum if you search around, but I have recently cut mine down to the basics. 1 to 1 trimmed Beef Heart to (Pink) Shrimp (shells on is good but can cause issues on rare occasions), add some liquid vitamins, process into a paste and squish into freezer bags about 1/8" thick. Freeze.
    Thank you for the assist on this one - I didn't even know where to start.

Jody-

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Thank you both for the help!

I have confirmed that all 5 are eating which I am very happy about.

I plan to use an auto-feeder for 3 feedings during the day while I am at work, and then in the morning and evening, feed them frozen treats.

I've always fed my juveniles lots of times and in small quantities each day. Get them onto beef heart as soon as you can, though you may want to leave that feed for an hour or so before you do water changes or at least a light vacum ...it can be a little messy especially if you are making your own mix.

Mine also get a 'Tropical Discus Gran' Granule feed in the auto feeder...nothing wrong with that...in fact i like to give them variety
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Jody M.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    I've always fed my juveniles lots of times and in small quantities each day. Get them onto beef heart as soon as you can, though you may want to leave that feed for an hour or so before you do water changes or at least a light vacum ...it can be a little messy especially if you are making your own mix.

Mine also get a 'Tropical Discus Gran' Granule feed in the auto feeder...nothing wrong with that...in fact i like to give them variety
    I have am feeding them 5 times per day now and am anxiously awaiting my shipment from Al of freeze dried black worms! The fish are adjusting well. I have the auto feeder set up and they do fine coming to the top to eat now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast