ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: How would you do this transport?

Real Name
    Steve

Default How would you do this transport?

I'm delivering several adult fish to a customer several hours away. I'm actually leaving one afternoon, spending the night with friends, and then driving another 2-3 hours the next morning to arrive. 20 hours. The customer has asked for the fish to be bagged, for the fishes' protection, and to separate specific strains. I'm an experienced shipper, so that's not a problem for me, although I chuckle at their requirements.

I could bag the fish, with O2, like I was shipping them. They'll go in a styrofoam box with heat packs. They can come indoors for the night, and I could even float them with a heater. If not for the bag requirement, I might have just used buckets.

Should I just bag them and not worry about it?

I'm over-thinking it. It just seems like I ought to be able to deliver without sealing them up in bags.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 09-13-2018 at 04:52 PM.

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: How would you do this transport?

If they are being hand delivered, I also chuckle at the special shipping requirements. If I were the customer, I would rather not see them bagged at all, but rather placed in a cooler with air and heat. This way, water changes can be performed if needed and a close eye can be kept on them. BUT... if you are an experienced shipper, I would prepare them as if you were shipping them. 20 hours is fine, especially since you know what you are doing...

These are Angels, not Discus. Tell me what size bags you have and I'll tell you what to do.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Thanks Liz. You know what's up. I've got 10x24" 4ml bags. Can double bag. I've got 6" 3ml bags too.
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 09-13-2018 at 07:29 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    If they are being hand delivered, I also chuckle at the special shipping requirements. If I were the customer, I would rather not see them bagged at all, but rather placed in a cooler with air and heat. This way, water changes can be performed if needed and a close eye can be kept on them. BUT... if you are an experienced shipper, I would prepare them as if you were shipping them. 20 hours is fine, especially since you know what you are doing...
    Thanks, that's about exactly what was thinking about the situation. 20 hours is not long.

When I sent them to you, I put each pair together tripple bagged in 3 ml bags. Double bagged in 2 mil bags should work fine for you, Be sure to starve them for 2 days before the trip. I like to add a drop of meth blue to each bag as well. Stick the bags in a styor. No need to add heat.
    Mama Bear