ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: What is quarantine process???

Real Name
    Rupak Mitra

Question What is quarantine process???

As per me quarantine process is to treat the new fish before introducing into the main tank, so the harmful bacteria or parasites can be killed and prevent the diseases which can be sprade fron the new fish..🐠🐟

Need help from experts abut the medicine which need to use at quarantine process amd the quantity to use..

If you can suggest any guidance for quarantine process then it will be a great help for me..

Thanks in advance🙏

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: What is quarantine process???

Rupak if you use the search engine on the forum you will find all the information you need. I can't tell you because in don't know but I do know I have read the answer to your question on this forum. All the best!

Real Name
    Patty

I found this in the beginner section. It’s the last sticky by Discus Paul. I copied and pasted this from his very informative article on keeping discus. Many people treat their new fish including the owner of this site, Al. I’ll see what I can find on it while you read this. Also, welcome to Simply Discus. You found the right place to learn the art of keeping healthy happy discus. The people here are amazing and helped me immensely when I started out.
    Patty

Quarantining New Fish

If you bought your fish from a reliable source, your tank is cycled with no other fish in it, and you have acclimatized your fish as above, then you may place your new fish directly into the tank.
    If you already have fish in your tank, you need to quarantine the new ones. Quarantining means completely isolating the new fish from all other fish, in a separate tank specifically set up for this purpose, and preferably located in a separate room. Also, a heater, filter, hoses, bucket, thermometer, etc. should be set aside for use solely in the quarantine tank. Take care that water on the hands from the quarantine tank does not get into the other tank, and vice versa.
    You need to do this as the new fish may be harboring pathogens they are immune to, but the existing fish are not. Also, the stress of the move may cause problems for the new fish, and you don’t want to transfer this to the existing tank. Finally, if the existing discus harbor pathogens they are resistant to, but the new fish are not, then one risks the potential loss of some new fish. Therefore, all new fish, whether purchased from the same source or not, should be quarantined.
    A quarantine should ideally be of four to six weeks duration. Then, take one fish from the main tank and one fish from the quarantine tank, place them into a third tank and quarantine for a further two weeks. If there is only one fish in the quarantine tank, the fish from the main tank can be added to the quarantine tank. This needs to be done in order to minimize the impact to only one fish if a problem develops. If problems do arise, either the new fish or the existing fish need to be treated.
    Alternatively you may opt, as many hobbyists do, to use a single quarantine tank rather than two. Add one fish from your main tank to the new stock of fishes and observe them during the quarantine period. This approach may prove riskier, in that if your original fish have something they are resistant to, but the new fish are not, then you risk infecting all of your new fish, rather than only one. If this were to occur during this method of quarantine you would need to treat all of the fish, new and original. If the previous method had been followed, only the original fish and the one new fish in the third tank would need to be treated.
    A tank in the 10 to 30 gallon range will usually suffice as a suitable quarantine tank, keeping in mind the number and size of the new fish being quarantined. Remember the ‘size of fish per gallon’ rules. Before using it, this tank should of course be cycled, filtered, and of the same temperature and Ph as your main tank. This tank can also later serve as a hospital tank for medicating sick fish.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Theres a long discussion here..

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ine-*questions

Please read it all though as its was started in 2002 and changed over time.I know I have modified alot of what I do in the last 16 years!

HTH,
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

If I'm starting the quarantine tank how do I speed up the cycling process, I'm receiving my new discus in less than a month. The quarantine tank is a 20 gallon. I need sponge filter, heater and thermometer right?

thank you,

Peter

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by petshannon View Post
    If I'm starting the quarantine tank how do I speed up the cycling process, I'm receiving my new discus in less than a month. The quarantine tank is a 20 gallon. I need sponge filter, heater and thermometer right?

thank you,

Peter
    Hi Peter, what size discus and how many? I ask because a 20 could be too small.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Hey Pat,

2 discus each 4-5 inch, don't know anything about qtine tanks and the process to set them up. I already have everything to start .
    thks
    Peter

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by petshannon View Post
    Hey Pat,

2 discus each 4-5 inch, don't know anything about qtine tanks and the process to set them up. I already have everything to start .
    thks
    Peter
    Is this a mated pair? A 20g is too small for 2 discus IMHO. However, as far as cycling is concerned, ask the seller if he can send some filter media along with the discus. That helps speed up the process and daily water changes help as well.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com