AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

Default Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

Everyone probably has one of these but whats a food or meal you love but most everyone you know hates or thinks is gross?

I have a sandwich that I make that my family absolutely thinks is gross. They would not try it if you paid them. I have been making it for years probably back as far as my college days.. I have no idea what made me try this combo.

Its peanut butter , american cheese, sliced tomatoe on a hard roll. Warmed slightly in the microwave to melt the cheese and peanut butter together. .. Its best on homemade italian bread rolls but any hardroll will do. I really don't know what they think is gross about it but man they are missing a culinary treat!

How about you? would you try it?

Do you have something you love to eat that others around you think is just nasty disgusting gross etc?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

Fried chicken gizzards! Love 'em!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    I have a sandwich that I make that my family absolutely thinks is gross.

Its peanut butter , american cheese, sliced tomatoe on a hard roll. Warmed slightly in the microwave to melt the cheese and peanut butter together. .. Its best on homemade italian bread rolls but any hardroll will do. I really don't know what they think is gross about it but man they are missing a culinary treat!
    Sorry, but I can kinda see your family's point on this one, lol...
    Last edited by jeep; 09-14-2018 at 09:09 PM.

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

I don’t eat anything that the family thinks is gross, but did grow up on Vegemite and I suspect most of the rest of the world will think that is gross. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Vegemite is ripper mate, true blue!

Hmmm vegemite cheese tomato on a hardroll? lol
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Right on Al. Also amazing with avocado, tomato and cracked pepper...so many vegemite options!! Aussie aussie aussie, oi oi oi!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Actually got two:
    1) Spaghetti alle vongole, pasta with cockles (garlicky, pinch of chili pepper, white wine, parsley and maybe a few fresh chopped tomatoes. Wife hates the smell!
    2) Crostini con la milza: toasted bread with a pate' made with spleen, anchovies paste and capers. Really old fashioned Roman recepy given to my great grandmother by prince Colonna's cook best part of 150 years ago
    Buon Appetito!

Any of the "weird" seafoods aren't appreciated much by anyone else here. Squid, octopus, small whole fish, shrimp heads, walleye cheeks, crawfish (but lobster is fine ), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    capers
    Those seem to be really hit or miss with a lot of people. My grandmother especially HATES them .

Would you believe my wife absolutely hates GARLIC !

She hates the smell of it- even the look of it - she's the only person I know who hates garlic - says she's allergic to it. I think it's all in her head but I'd never tell her that.

When we go a restaurant she always asks if there's garlic in any appetizer or entrée, and if there is, she asks the waiter to have the cook not use it if she wants to order the dish - I suspect she gets some garlic anyway sometimes, and doesn't know it.
    Linda`s Italian, and her father was a good cook - and he used garlic in a lot of things - so I have trouble with her really being 'allergic'.

I love garlic in just about anything, so you can imagine I cook a lot of stuff for just one - me.
    If I want to cook something that Linda likes too, say a pasta dish or sauce, I have to quickly tell Linda that I'll omit the garlic, and only then will she agree.

The whole world loves garlic, doesn't it ! Except Linda.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-15-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Would you believe my wife absolutely hates GARLIC !

She hates the smell of it- even the look of it - she's the only person I know who hates garlic - says she's allergic to it. I think it's all in her head but I'd never tell her that.

When we go a restaurant she always asks if there's garlic in any appetizer or entrée, and if there is, she asks the waiter to have the cook not use it if she wants to order the dish - I suspect she gets some garlic anyway sometimes, and doesn't know it.
    Linda`s Italian, and her father was a good cook - and he used garlic in a lot of things - so I have trouble with her really being 'allergic'.

I love garlic in just about anything, so you can imagine I cook a lot of stuff for just one - me.
    If I want to cook something that Linda likes too, say a pasta dish or sauce, I have to quickly tell Linda that I'll omit the garlic, and only then will she agree.

The whole world loves garlic, doesn't it ! Except Linda.
    Careful Paul people that have strong aversion to or allergy to Garlic are usually vampires.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Careful Paul people that have strong aversion to or allergy to Garlic are usually vampires.

Good comeback, Al - love it.

And btw, I love toasted sardine sandwiches for breakfast or anytime - everyone in my family and Linda's thinks that's gross.

And it's even healthy for you !

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Actually got two:
    1) Spaghetti alle vongole, pasta with cockles (garlicky, pinch of chili pepper, white wine, parsley and maybe a few fresh chopped tomatoes. Wife hates the smell!
    2) Crostini con la milza: toasted bread with a pate' made with spleen, anchovies paste and capers. Really old fashioned Roman recepy given to my great grandmother by prince Colonna's cook best part of 150 years ago
    Buon Appetito!
    I was all in on the cockles, but spleen? Really? Spleen? What does a spleen taste like? I’m asking because that’s the only way I’ll ever know.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

I've not had spleen either - that sounds gross.

Speaking of foods that seem gross to a lot of people if not most, when I lived in Singapore, I tried all these foods which were commonplace then, over there:

- Insects: I ate coated/breaded deep-fried crickets, and locusts, and a couple of others that I can't remember the names of, but they were all fairly good - lots of protein-

- Several types of indescribable mollusks - different kinds of snails, & other shelled seafood - again, can't recall what - but they were tasty & I did enjoy them;

- Asian Crocodile meat - actually quite nice - a bit chewy, but tastier than chicken if I remember right- at least that's what they say;

- Snake: a couple of different kinds - I didn't ask what type of snake, cause I didn't want to know - OK, but I'll pass if I'm ever offered it again;

- Last but not least - once at a Chinese banquet several people urged me try a 'special' dish which turned out to be monkey brains - I tried it - but never again - now that's gross!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I was all in on the cockles, but spleen? Really? Spleen? What does a spleen taste like? I’m asking because that’s the only way I’ll ever know.
    Patty
    Spleen pate' tastes a bit like liver pate' (if you can use liver why not the organ next to it?) but earthier, also very messy to scrape the pulp as very bloody -probably good for anaemics or the aforementioned vampires, unless you go and spoil it for them by adding garlick. Traditional Roman cousine is a veritable smogarsbord of offal from pagliata (suckling calf's intestines) to trippa (tripe), coratella (lamb's lung, liver and heart, usually served with a sideorder of artichokes), coda alla vaccinara (oxtail), sugo con i regagli (chicken liver, kidneys etc in a tomato sauce), fagioli con le cotiche (beans with pork rinds i.e. skin) and many other dishes that would make those of a more squeamish disposition opt for the vegetarian menu. These were all old fashioned dishes born from the fact that in centuries past working class folk could not afford prime cuts and had to make do with what would have been discarded. Nowadays and probably for the last 50 years it has been nye on impossible to find these foods on the menu of any resturant, so you should be quite safe eating out in Rome

We tend to be a little strange about how we judge our potential foods. Lobster used to be the poor mans food, a food given to slaves and prisoners. Because of what it looked like. Now we consider it a food of the affluent. Go figure.

We probably will eat more insects one day than we do today.. Biologically speaking, a Lobster is nothing more than giant BUG! and Arthropod much like grasshoppers and crickets and spiders and cock roaches. We already eat other arthropods, like crabs, lobster, shrimp and crawfish. And we eat gastropods. like slimy snails part of the mollusk class along the mollusks we know and love as clams.

Bon appetite!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast