AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

Default Re: Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

Kidney stew. They love it and ask for the recipe when they don't know in advance what it is. I say that it's an old English recipe that I learned from my mother, which is true.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Matt

Default Re: Speaking of food, your favorite that turns off your family and friends?

Paul - like your wife, I too am allergic to garlic. If it is very well cooked it can be ok, but otherwise makes me sick. So, it is a real thing.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Spleen pate' tastes a bit like liver pate' (if you can use liver why not the organ next to it?) but earthier, also very messy to scrape the pulp as very bloody -probably good for anaemics or the aforementioned vampires, unless you go and spoil it for them by adding garlick. Traditional Roman cousine is a veritable smogarsbord of offal from pagliata (suckling calf's intestines) to trippa (tripe), coratella (lamb's lung, liver and heart, usually served with a sideorder of artichokes), coda alla vaccinara (oxtail), sugo con i regagli (chicken liver, kidneys etc in a tomato sauce), fagioli con le cotiche (beans with pork rinds i.e. skin) and many other dishes that would make those of a more squeamish disposition opt for the vegetarian menu. These were all old fashioned dishes born from the fact that in centuries past working class folk could not afford prime cuts and had to make do with what would have been discarded. Nowadays and probably for the last 50 years it has been nye on impossible to find these foods on the menu of any resturant, so you should be quite safe eating out in Rome
    I love chicken livers and beef liver so maybe I would try the organ next to it. I壇 probably like it better if I ate it ala Liz style (without knowing) lol.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I知 happy

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    I was all in on the cockles, but spleen? Really? Spleen? What does a spleen taste like? I知 asking because that痴 the only way I値l ever know.
    Patty
    Hahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Fried chicken gizzards! Love 'em!!!
    There is a Jr Food mart gas station about 1/2 hr from here. I'm often the only white person in the place. They sell the best fried chicken anybody had ever eaten, but I'm in love with their gizzards. The ladies who cook there know me and if the gizzards aren't freshly made and tender they cook more for me. I walk in and the cooking lady says, "gizzards?" I smile and nod. I get the craving about every 6 weeks and make the drive. It's a pleasant drive through rolling hills out in the country.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Actually got two:
    1) Spaghetti alle vongole, pasta with cockles (garlicky, pinch of chili pepper, white wine, parsley and maybe a few fresh chopped tomatoes. Wife hates the smell!
    2) Crostini con la milza: toasted bread with a pate' made with spleen, anchovies paste and capers. Really old fashioned Roman recepy given to my great grandmother by prince Colonna's cook best part of 150 years ago
    Buon Appetito!

+1 on the cockles! My son and I love a spaghetti vongole on a Sunday afternoon... My wife often goes outside to get away from it cause she dislikes it so much hahaha

Real Name
    Dave

Braunschweiger and Swiss on black rye with sweet hot mustard, fresh lettuce, and fresh tomato.

I love the combination, but my kids don't like the meat or the Swiss Cheese, and my wife doesn't like the Braunschweiger.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Patty

Spleen pate' tastes a bit like liver pate' (if you can use liver why not the organ next to it?) but earthier, also very messy to scrape the pulp as very bloody -probably good for anaemics or the aforementioned vampires, unless you go and spoil it for them by adding garlick. Traditional Roman cousine is a veritable smogarsbord of offal from pagliata (suckling calf's intestines) to trippa (tripe), coratella (lamb's lung, liver and heart, usually served with a sideorder of artichokes), coda alla vaccinara (oxtail), sugo con i regagli (chicken liver, kidneys etc in a tomato sauce), fagioli con le cotiche (beans with pork rinds i.e. skin) and many other dishes that would make those of a more squeamish disposition opt for the vegetarian menu. These were all old fashioned dishes born from the fact that in centuries past working class folk could not afford prime cuts and had to make do with what would have been discarded. Nowadays and probably for the last 50 years it has been nye on impossible to find these foods on the menu of any resturant, so you should be quite safe eating out in Rome
    Paul, I’m one of those weird people that love liver and pate so who knows? I might like it. I’d try a spleen or tripe or oxtail but you’ll never get me to try a monkey brain. I’d even eat Al’s awful sandwich first. tee hee
    Patty
    Last edited by Pices; 10-28-2018 at 01:16 PM.

I adore the nasty bits. I have to go to the slaughter house to buy beef kidney and tongue, and I have to brine the tongue myself. There is no more tender meat than tongue. Kidney makes an easy, stew which is served over rice. My mother, who came from England and grew up very poor but was ashamed of ever having been poor would make this dish when she would entertain her fancy friends. Every wanted to know how she made it. She would only tell them that it was an old English recipe. They'd have died if they'd known that they had eaten kidney.

Unfortunately, I haven't cared about eating or cooking for about a month now. I don't know why. I'm eating frozen stuff just to keep alive. It's a bummer.

I just stumbled upon a recipe for Thai grilled pork neck that sounds appealing and easy. I think I'll try making that and hope it gets my appetite for cooking and eating going again.
    Mama Bear

When I was a kid, my Nonni (grandma) would get a whole Pig slaughtered fresh., Nothing went to waste, The basement was filled with hanging hams and sausages, but the best part was a chocolate pudding she made from the Blood of the pig. It was thick and rich, sweet but also a bit hot on the throat. I absolutely loved it. There was no better treat for me. I learned latter on that its called, Sanguinaccio dolce. I used to just call it piggy pudding. I think to make it last longer she added Rice as well or tapioca. Its been a good 40 years now since I had it last, and my Nonni passed away along time ago. My mom learned much of her recipes and has passed on that to me, but Nonni's recipe was sadly lost. I probably could not find fresh Pigs blood out here anyhow...but I highly doubt my kids and wife would go near it if I made it but thats fine as it would be more for me!

Heres some info..

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/s...-blood-pudding

http://www.chicagonow.com/cooking-co...eat-2/#image/1

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I think that the key is that if you grew up eating weird stuff before you realized that it was weird all you cared about that it was good. I've never had blood pudding but I bet that I could get my hands on the blood.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    When I was a kid, my Nonni (grandma) would get a whole Pig slaughtered fresh., Nothing went to waste, The basement was filled with hanging hams and sausages, but the best part was a chocolate pudding she made from the Blood of the pig. It was thick and rich, sweet but also a bit hot on the throat. I absolutely loved it. There was no better treat for me. I learned latter on that its called, Sanguinaccio dolce. I used to just call it piggy pudding. I think to make it last longer she added Rice as well or tapioca. Its been a good 40 years now since I had it last, and my Nonni passed away along time ago. My mom learned much of her recipes and has passed on that to me, but Nonni's recipe was sadly lost. I probably could not find fresh Pigs blood out here anyhow...but I highly doubt my kids and wife would go near it if I made it but thats fine as it would be more for me!

Heres some info..

https://www.atlasobscura.com/foods/s...-blood-pudding

http://www.chicagonow.com/cooking-co...eat-2/#image/1

al

You had me at chocolate

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    ...a chocolate pudding she made from the Blood of the pig. It was thick and rich, sweet but also a bit hot on the throat. I absolutely loved it...I probably could not find fresh Pigs blood out here anyhow...
    My hats off to you, Al. I've had blood pudding in Germany, but it wouldn't be the first thing I order.

I was traveling in Singapore in September, had Sunday off, and called up Andrew Soh. He picked me up from the hotel and took me to his favorite hawker stand. His favorite food in all the world is large intestine.

file-19.jpg

and that's all he ordered. I had to admit it wasn't bad, but every dish was large intestine. I kept up with him for awhile, but he order so much of it!

BTW, my favorite dish is sea cucumber. My family does not share my taste for this.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Wilie, I would have to be near starvation before I would eat that. I would eat lots of other unusual foods though. But in the Philippines a long time ago, I would not try a balut. It is a chicken embryo, near hatching size that is pickled or something. Looks just awful but considered a delicacy there.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Mine's not gross, per se, but I grew up in Africa, the Middle East and Far East as a kid and so was exposed to many types of curry. My favorite curries are Indian and Goan curries, a few of which are ungodly spicy; whenever we eat out, I have a favorite Indian restaurant and I have them make me an off the menu curry.... it's the only meal I eat that my wife and kids NEVER ask to share.. It's just too spicy for them to contemplate. Score one for Dad getting to eat all of his own food for a change.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast