ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Carbon filtration of incoming Tap Water for water changes or RO???

Registered Member

Default Carbon filtration of incoming Tap Water for water changes or RO???

Hello all,
    I am in the design stages of plumbing in a Thermostatic valve along with a 10"x 2" micron filter and a 10" or 20" carbon cartridge filter. The question is do I need the 20" or just a pressure regulator to reduce the flow through the carbon with the 10" to actually remove all the chlorine?

Or... should I just go for an RO system??

I plan on using this for water changes since I'll be up to about 220 gallons all together when I get the 75g fully funcional. My 40g aging tanks won't be able to keep up especially since I plan on at least (8) 3"discus in the 75.

I'm kind of mixed about it. Do I want the added expense of RO and the chemicals I'll need to replenish the water?
    Is it worth it for the fish? Will either way make them thrive more?

You guys and gals have been through this before I could really use an educated decision on this.

Thank you in Advance!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Carbon filtration of incoming Tap Water for water changes or RO???

Hi, can you remind us the parameters of your tapwater? Do you want to just keep/grow discus or do you want to breed?

Registered Member

Here is a link to my cities water supply report for 2017. I'm seeing a pH of 7.4 constant and zero nitrates. Once the water is thru aging. I do see chlorine in the cities report and just want to remove it prior to going into any of my tanks. I only have an API master fresh water test kit and all my readings have been solid after the tank cycled and as I stated. I do have an aging process in place. I would like to grow the discus out first since I'm planning on buying them around 3" each. So I may want to breed any pairs that may form.

Registered Member

At this point I think I'll do both since I understand the importance of r.o. in breeding discus for higher hatch rates. I'm still a month away from putting fish in & I want it all up and running smooth.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

RO is useful for adjusting KH and GH. That's the parameters you need to consider when deciding to use RO water. If you are on well water like some parts of the midwest (do you have a water softener in your house?) you might be dealing with liquid rock, RO is useful for both fish wellbeing and aesthetics. If you ARE working with very hard water then just mixing back in some of your tap water (I use 2/3 RO, 1/3 tap) can be effective to reconstitute your water.

Registered Member

https://tallmadge-ohio.org/Archive.aspx?AMID=39 I forgot to post this last time. I have city treated tap water. I definitely want to remove all chlorine and keep a consistent water temperature for all water changes. I'll use the RO just in case any of my discus decide to pair up.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

GH of 6 and KH of ~4 looks like you aren't going to need RO for routine WC in my opinion.

Real Name
    Willie

I would just age and treat for chlorine/chloramine. Your water is perfectly fine. Focus on changing water and avoid tinkering with water chemistry.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Peter

Hello, I'm experienced with African Cichlids and many other fish but not discus. I want to start my discus tank but have my doubts about water changes, I currently use a python and use tap water directly into the tank. If I need to age water first before pumping the new water in the tank it just feels like more work. Could I pump new water in the tank directly using prime and 4get the aging process.??
    Aging means a 55G tub, heater and airstone and extra steps.
    thks

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

I am pretty new to discus but have kept all things fishy since 1983. From what I have read here, it really depends on your source water pH and how that changes after it enters your tank. Stable pH is THE most important thing yo consider when doing water changes. Some water is 8.0 coming out of the tap but after 24 hours of movement and aeration is 7.2. This swing will make your discus stressed and unhappy. Check the pH of your water straight out of the tap, aerate a 5 gal bucket full and check it again in 24 hours. If the pH change is <0.2-0.4 then you should be ok.
    Remember with discus that doing more than enough is always gonna be better than doing just enough.
    I use a 55 gal food grade container, fill it with warm water from the tap aggressively aerating it as it enters the container, I add an air stone and leave it for for 3 hours then I do my water change. Very simple, no stress, no mess, no fuss.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Oh, and discus ARE more work. You cannot get away with no water changes for weeks in end with discus like you can with African cichlids. Especially if you buy fish smaller than 4.5-5". Juvenile fish are dependent on clean water and good nutrition to reach there full potential when growing. 5"+ fish have do e their rapid growing and are generally more tolerant of less frequently water changes, but I still change my water on a 50% & 75% rotation every 3 days...