ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Default Re: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Forgot me! Willie
    Sorry about that Willie... You are on the list now!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

The complete list...
    ok then everyone. This is the list of everyone thats confirmed and ready to go. These members have officially enrolled . If you arent on the list get in touch with me and want to be. Get in touch with me. If I can supply more groups I will.... no guarantees at this point though.

1) modealings aka Eric
    2) Second Hand Pat aka Pat............................send bio-media
    3) Captain Discus aka Tom
    4) Adam S aka Adam
    5) Pool_skylar aka Skylar
    6) Sanjay21 aka Sanjay......................................send bio-media
    7) Tshethar aka Bill...........................................sen d bio-media
    8) Jeep aka Brian............................................. ..send bio-media.
    9) warblad79 aka Bryan
    10) Kwiege aka Karen.......................................send bio-media
    11) Willie aka Willie

If you are on the list .. be sure to let me know if you need bio-media. I have noted by your name here if you need it. I am planning on shipping Mon/Tues.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Please keep me in mind if any slots open up for the contest or future groups.. Thanks

Hi all,
    I would like to thank one of our members for stepping up here and offering to come up with Trophies. Thank you Elliot!!! (aka Pastry), we truly appreciate your help on this one! I am thrilled that we can now offer trophies for the winners.

Thanks again!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Patty

Good luck contestants. I look forward to reading these threads and learning how it’s done.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Man oh Man that was close! I just made the Post office with all the packages... 11 boxes of contest fish.! Note to oneself, 5 hours was not quite enough time to pack 110 Fish! I now remember why I hate shipping.

Okay now contestants, some notes.

Each box contains 10 fry... I initially planned on sending 8 individually bagged fish, but opted to send 10, so what I did was send 6 individually bagged fish and 2 bags with 2 fish. All the fish were bagged first, and then boxed. I made 2 piles ... The first pile of bags was the first 33 fish I bagged. .. The second pile was the balance. When I packed the boxes I drew from the first pile for the first 3 fish I put in the box under the rationale that first 33 fish would be the biggest I had since I was trying to net the biggest one. Then I packed from the second pile. and the doubles. Basically this was best I could do to try and get everyone the same general representation of fish. When I did my tests I had no losses, and I am hopeful the same will be true now but with all the bouncing around who knows? I'm sure there will be issues and problems along the way, but I am looking at this as a learning experience and a pilot contest...so thats to be expected..

I included food in every box, you won't need a lot, so just a small pinch at a time. I crush it with my fingers. Its my Diskus Gold What I sent will last you a while, but you are welcome to feed what ever you want.

If you asked for Bio media theres a piece of black sponge, You should be able to use it with any air driven sponge if you get creative...10 fry this size aren't going to make alot of waste in a 10 gal tank.

Please understand that these fish are not whats normally shipped size wise. Just because I tested it doesn't mean it will work out in practice here. This is not just a grow out contest, but I am trying to see if this works so we can use the model many times in the future. If it works out. It will be great as I can then provide contest fish from my pairs and not break the bank on shipping.

Note there is a 48 hr heatpack, The styrofoam lid isn't sealed, it isn't supposed to be, I wanted excess heat to escape. The heat pack is separated from the fish by a cardboard tube... and the pack itself was left in the plastic wrapper with only the top open. I have found this slows the packs heating a little. I don't want to cook these fry so that was by design. In my tests the 48 hr pack lasted almost 72 hours like this.

When you get your box, please document how it arrives. You can start your thread here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...r-Contest-2018

Please make only one thread and do all your updates in that thread. If you want to start that thread now, please do, you can introduce yourself, post your empty waiting tank shots and describe a little about how you will raise them and your Discus rearing philosophy.

If you lose a few in shipping its not the end of the world... just try and work with what you have, I will not send replacement fish... I can't . I have nothing left but a handful of little ones from this spawn now.. I will of course feel terrible if you have some shipping related losses but that happens with any shipping and these guys are small. Please document everything,

I wish you all luck and hope the fish get to you safely and alive. If this goes well maybe we add a second round.. The pair has a really nice spawn on the back so who knows?

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Thank you Al for doing this and I am sure you had a busy day today. I will start my thread soon. I already have some empty tank shots lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Thank you!!! Exciting!!

Real Name
    Willie

I'm pumped!!! Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Thanks Al! Looking fwd to their arrival and the contest!

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks from me, too, Al! Hope people who find their way to the forum and this thread in the future will see how much work you put into it, and the kind of care you have for your fish. All set up and ready to take the baton!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

AL. that was a lot of work! I also want to say THANK YOU!
    Looking forward to working along side the best in the business when it comes to Discus.
    Tom.

Real Name
    Dale

Damn sorry I missed out on this!!!! Would have loved to take part in this and have a breeding set up all up and running. Summer keeps me very busy with other hobbies but usually fall and through the winter I concentrate on fishies.
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Erik

This seems like a lot of fun, maybe next time i can get in too.

Attention all Contestants,

Please check with your local post office to see if the box is there.. The tracking all on these packages is very odd. Its telling me they are on schedule for their expected date, 9 will be today, 2 will be tomorrow. But by now I should see they have been scanned and show "out for Delivery" and I am not seeing that on any tracking when I checked,.. Ask if they have a medium size flat rate box with an orange tag on that says " LIVE Fish, this side up" . Its like all 11 boxes disappeared once they left my post office. I have my USPS post master checking too.

Hopefully its just a problem with the tracking system. If anyone gets their box please let me know asap. I can't believe that they would loose 11 boxes at the same time.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-26-2018 at 12:08 PM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast