Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Default Re: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Forgot me! Willie
    Sorry about that Willie... You are on the list now!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>We really could use your support. Please DONATE HERE Thanks!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

The complete list...
    ok then everyone. This is the list of everyone thats confirmed and ready to go. These members have officially enrolled . If you arent on the list get in touch with me and want to be. Get in touch with me. If I can supply more groups I will.... no guarantees at this point though.

1) modealings aka Eric
    2) Second Hand Pat aka Pat............................send bio-media
    3) Captain Discus aka Tom
    4) Adam S aka Adam
    5) Pool_skylar aka Skylar
    6) Sanjay21 aka Sanjay......................................send bio-media
    7) Tshethar aka Bill...........................................sen d bio-media
    8) Jeep aka Brian............................................. ..send bio-media.
    9) warblad79 aka Bryan
    10) Kwiege aka Karen.......................................send bio-media
    11) Willie aka Willie

If you are on the list .. be sure to let me know if you need bio-media. I have noted by your name here if you need it. I am planning on shipping Mon/Tues.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Registered Member
    iTrader

Please keep me in mind if any slots open up for the contest or future groups.. Thanks

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Hi all,
    I would like to thank one of our members for stepping up here and offering to come up with Trophies. Thank you Elliot!!! (aka Pastry), we truly appreciate your help on this one! I am thrilled that we can now offer trophies for the winners.

Thanks again!

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    Real Name
    Patty

Good luck contestants. I look forward to reading these threads and learning how it’s done.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, Iím happy

Blog Entries
    iTrader
    218 (100%)

Man oh Man that was close! I just made the Post office with all the packages... 11 boxes of contest fish.! Note to oneself, 5 hours was not quite enough time to pack 110 Fish! I now remember why I hate shipping.

Okay now contestants, some notes.

Each box contains 10 fry... I initially planned on sending 8 individually bagged fish, but opted to send 10, so what I did was send 6 individually bagged fish and 2 bags with 2 fish. All the fish were bagged first, and then boxed. I made 2 piles ... The first pile of bags was the first 33 fish I bagged. .. The second pile was the balance. When I packed the boxes I drew from the first pile for the first 3 fish I put in the box under the rationale that first 33 fish would be the biggest I had since I was trying to net the biggest one. Then I packed from the second pile. and the doubles. Basically this was best I could do to try and get everyone the same general representation of fish. When I did my tests I had no losses, and I am hopeful the same will be true now but with all the bouncing around who knows? I'm sure there will be issues and problems along the way, but I am looking at this as a learning experience and a pilot contest...so thats to be expected..

I included food in every box, you won't need a lot, so just a small pinch at a time. I crush it with my fingers. Its my Diskus Gold What I sent will last you a while, but you are welcome to feed what ever you want.

If you asked for Bio media theres a piece of black sponge, You should be able to use it with any air driven sponge if you get creative...10 fry this size aren't going to make alot of waste in a 10 gal tank.

Please understand that these fish are not whats normally shipped size wise. Just because I tested it doesn't mean it will work out in practice here. This is not just a grow out contest, but I am trying to see if this works so we can use the model many times in the future. If it works out. It will be great as I can then provide contest fish from my pairs and not break the bank on shipping.

Note there is a 48 hr heatpack, The styrofoam lid isn't sealed, it isn't supposed to be, I wanted excess heat to escape. The heat pack is separated from the fish by a cardboard tube... and the pack itself was left in the plastic wrapper with only the top open. I have found this slows the packs heating a little. I don't want to cook these fry so that was by design. In my tests the 48 hr pack lasted almost 72 hours like this.

When you get your box, please document how it arrives. You can start your thread here...
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...r-Contest-2018

Please make only one thread and do all your updates in that thread. If you want to start that thread now, please do, you can introduce yourself, post your empty waiting tank shots and describe a little about how you will raise them and your Discus rearing philosophy.

If you lose a few in shipping its not the end of the world... just try and work with what you have, I will not send replacement fish... I can't . I have nothing left but a handful of little ones from this spawn now.. I will of course feel terrible if you have some shipping related losses but that happens with any shipping and these guys are small. Please document everything,

I wish you all luck and hope the fish get to you safely and alive. If this goes well maybe we add a second round.. The pair has a really nice spawn on the back so who knows?

Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Thank you Al for doing this and I am sure you had a busy day today. I will start my thread soon. I already have some empty tank shots lol.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader
    1 (100%)

Thank you!!! Exciting!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345