ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Default Re: Discus Growout contest Challenger 2018????????????????

I'd be in as well but I'm a bit far to ship such small fish...
    If it gets done, I'll for sure enjoy seeing everyone's progress!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Ok guys, need a couple more interested folks to make this happen
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I have some spare tanks... count me in too.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I'd love to be in but a baby on the way means I will not be able to commit to the level needed. Will be following along eagerly!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    I'd love to be in but a baby on the way means I will not be able to commit to the level needed. Will be following along eagerly!
    Congratulations on the baby James.Yes I think you have more important things coming up!
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

If there is still some left I am in.
    Tom. captain discus.
    The fish are prize enough for me! But a little competition is enriching.

Ok then Everyone... It looks like we have enough members interested in this contest to make it happen. Because I want these fish to be a certain size when they are shipped we need to get this started fast.

I want to ship on the 24th which is this upcoming Monday. You should receive the fish wednesday. . I will provide tracking to you by pm. If you expressed interest now is the time to pm with the following information.

Full name and shipping address
    telephone number
    valid email address.

I will send you a paypal request for funds in the amount of $100. I will use that to cover shipping. I suggested the balence to be used as a deposit that entrants would get back at the end of the contest. Some have suggested this should just be a flat fee thats paid to participate. I will leave that up to you. If you want your $100 to be a donation let me know when you give me your paypal address.... If you do not specifically tell me that I will hold it as a deposit.

Fish will be randomly netted from the same tank of Fry.Same parents same spawn. They may vary in size slightly.Remember the goal is raise them.as best you can and share the growth and development along the way.Updates are critical. Sharing what you are doing specifically with regards to water changes, temperature and food are part of the competition... Im not sure just yet how We will factor the information into the final judging but we will.

The official Rules:

1) The contest is a 8 month commitment at the minimium. We reserve the right to carry to a maximum 1 year .

2) You must start these fish in a 10 gal tank,using sponge filters and covered on 3 sides and bottom. It must be a bare bottom tank.
    You must use Aged water at a Temperature of 82 F to 85 F . For the first 2 weeks I would suggest you maintain them in the 10 gal tank. They must be alone. No other fish present. After that you can do as you want but must document it.

3) You must do an update at least once a week. This is less than what we have used in the past to make it easier. You are allowed 4 missed updates .. more than that and you forfeit the contest and your deposit. NO EXCEPTIONS!!! You may post updates as often as you want. Your update must be in pictures.. You may use videos at any time but not for the mandatory update.

4) Photo updates MUST use the forum software and not be off site links.

5) You must net your largest fish at 3 months, 6 months, and at the contest end and measure it. .Photo document and post the image.

Thats it ... I have made the rules as concise and straightforward as possible. Understand that as unexpected things occur we may have to modify rules or add to them. If you participate you are agreeing to all rules and to our full control over the contest .

Any questions please ask them now.

Thank you,
    Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-19-2018 at 05:55 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

A word on these fish, Normally people ship and receive fish at a larger size than these. I have tested the ability of these fish to handle the shipping we will be using. I carried out that test far longer than they should be in transit. I don't anticipate any problems with this shipment. When you receive them I recommend you float the bags to equalize the temperature. I do not anticipate the water will be very foul. I did not notice it my tests. Some people to cut the bag , poor off the water and get the fish into the new tank. If you prefer to use the drip method, you should add a drop of ammonia neutralizer to the bag first. I will not tell you which method to use. Use what works for you and post the results.

My water... These fish have been raised in my well water. I used straight tap water that has been aged. They have been raised in water that about 7.6 pH and moderately hard..so they should be able to adapt to up or down from that no problem.

I will send along some of the food they are eating.

This is important so please pay close attention. Many people experience losses of fry in the first 1-2 months. Do not over feed them. Feeding them until they bloat up is not necessarily going to give you the best growth but it may cause you to loose fish. You won't have a tank of fry to play with where you can lose a few... I will be sending 8 fry, more if I can number wise. Play it safe. Its a long contest. Feed moderately and often verses stuffing them to the gills. Be careful to soak all dry foods, and if you feed homemade mixes of Beef watch the fat..I highly suggest beefheart over other cuts of beef if you go that route.

You must keep their water clean. Though adult discus can tolerate a little ammonia and Nitrites, Fry do not. It will stress them and it can kill them.

I hope these tips help you get a good start, please understand that fry are fragile...what ever you do, take your time.
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-19-2018 at 07:15 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Al, I am using my well water with the wilds and intent to use it with the fry. It is fairly hard, TDS should be running about 180 this time of year and a ph of 8.2 after aging. Ph out of tap is 7.4 rising to 8.2 after four hours of aging. I am not expecting any water issues unless you see a red herring here?
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, I am using my well water with the wilds and intent to use it with the fry. It is fairly hard, TDS should be running about 180 this time of year and a ph of 8.2 after aging. Ph out of tap is 7.4 rising to 8.2 after four hours of aging. I am not expecting any water issues unless you see a red herring here?
    Pat
    Pat I don't see any issues with it. My TDS of my tap is about 300 ppm (just measured)

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Al, are we required to test water parameters? Need to order new test kits if yes?
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, are we required to test water parameters? Need to order new test kits if yes?
    Pat
    Required no, but the goal of this contest besides growing the biggest and best Discus in the time alloted is to share what you are doing so others can follow along and learn what works well and what doesn't. The more information people can give about how they are caring for their fish the better.

Information that one should share

-water parameters
    -foods fed
    -feeding schedule
    -problems encountered, including mortality
    -observations like bullying, or timidity

etc..

hth,
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Sounds to me like test kits are in order Al
    Pat

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Very excited to be a part of this! And thanks again to Al for all the time and effort to set this up. (Even sending some of the food their eating, that's awesome...)

Biggest decision I have to make is whether to start these with an already cycled sponge or not.

Right now I'm planning on using a cycled sponge from another tank because starting fresh would have to involve tiny ammonia spikes even if i did WC's 3x daily. Of course the other risk is exposing fry this small to different bacteria which may be a shock as well. I think the first 2 weeks will be the most tenuous but I guess that's what makes it exciting - I could be out by October 2018 or in until Oct 2019, we'll see!

Real Name
    Pat

Al, how are you feeding the FDBWs, as fines? In the past I have presoaked the fines in water until they sink then suck it up with a syringe with airline tubing attached to the end. I added some amounts to the water column over the fry. At least this is how I did it with the fry of wild parents in a sectioned off 230. In a 10 gallon this may not be needed?
    Pat

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast