AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Default Re: Discus Growout contest Challenger 2018????????????????

Here is a List of those that have officially enrolled after having pm'd em their contact info . I will update it as others sign up.

1) modealings aka Eric
    2) Second Hand Pat aka Pat............................send bio-media
    3) Captain Discus aka Tom
    4) Adam S aka Adam
    5) Pool_skylar aka Skylar
    6) Sanjay21 aka Sanjay......................................send bio-media
    7) Tshethar aka Bill...........................................sen d bio-media
    8) Jeep aka Brian
    9) warblad79 aka Bryan
    10) Kwiege aka Karen.......................................send bio-media
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-21-2018 at 09:27 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

It was suggested to me by Filip that it would be great it I could provide some Biological media with the fish. I think I can. I have in that tank 2 hydro sponges and a wall of foam that circulation on both sides..I am sure theres a significant biological filtration . I can try and include some if any one wants its .. You may have to cut your new sponge to replace part of it with this material but its better than no biological filter at all. I do this routinely here.

Theres no point in me sending it if you are planning on using seeded filters from your own tanks though.

Drop me a pm if you want some included and let me know what kind of sponge filter you were planning on using in the 10 gal startup.

Thanks,
    al

2018-09-19 10.26.47.jpg

2018-09-19 10.25.54.jpg
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-19-2018 at 10:28 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Al, I would not mind a small block of foam. I will be running the smallest AC and I could use piece in it. Unless you think the smallest AC is too strong for the fry.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, I would not mind a small block of foam. I will be running the smallest AC and I could use piece in it. Unless you think the smallest AC is too strong for the fry.
    Pat
    Pat I would suggest not using a power filter initially, even the smallest ones...sponge filter is better when they are small. Its not a hard fast fact, just something I have noticed. Others may disagree. I think everyone will have better success with these little guys if they use sponges initially.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-19-2018 at 10:42 AM.

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Pat I would suggest not using a power filter initially, even the smallest ones...sponge filter is better when they are small. Its not a hard fast fact, just something I have noticed. Others may disagree. I think everyone will have better success with these little guys if they use sponges initially.

al
    np Al, I can wait until they are larger. I was planning on a sponge filter also.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Al, how are you feeding the FDBWs, as fines? In the past I have presoaked the fines in water until they sink then suck it up with a syringe with airline tubing attached to the end. I added some amounts to the water column over the fry. At least this is how I did it with the fry of wild parents in a sectioned off 230. In a 10 gallon this may not be needed?
    Pat
    Pat I missed this post..

The FDBW are fines.. at this size very fine fines.. I soak them 5-10 mins and use a turkey baster to add the amount I want to the tank. You do need to be careful though as they will glump up as much as they can. The Diskus Gold I just crush as I drop it in the tank. I can't stress enough that its very easy to over feed at this size,IMO. I'm sure you already have a good idea on how much to feed but for the others in the contest ..go easy.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

Pat I missed this post..

The FDBW are fines.. at this size very fine fines.. I soak them 5-10 mins and use a turkey baster to add the amount I want to the tank. You do need to be careful though as they will glump up as much as they can. The Diskus Gold I just crush as I drop it in the tank. I can't stress enough that its very easy to over feed at this size,IMO. I'm sure you already have a good idea on how much to feed but for the others in the contest ..go easy.

al
    Cool, basically same idea Al. I prefer the syringe as it gives me finer control. I seem to have six thumbs with a turkey baster, perhaps my hands are too small.
    Pat

For this number of fry your method may work better Pat.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Pat

For this number of fry your method may work better Pat.

al
    It may Al, You can add minute portions of the fines and gauge how the fry are taking it and go from there.
    Pat

Real Name
    Bill

Al, this is exciting. I'm going to go for it, but had a few uncertainties. Thanks to Filip one of the main ones has just been addressed (the biological media). Yes to that! I'm planning on starting with a small hydro sponge or equivalent and later adding a small Aquaclear. Sponge media I can use to seed these would be huge. As you know, I'm dealing with nitrites in my grow out with large fish right now, and I was thinking I would have to risk cross-contamination to avoid that.

One question for you: how long do you think it's reasonable (or good practice) to keep them in a 10 gallon? I have some options for moving them to a 40 at some point, but may need to rehome some fish and ideally sterilize tanks before doing so.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I put you down for sponge media then.

These are going to be small Discus.. with a group of 8 ish. In a ten gallon, I think they could easily stay there several weeks. The benefit that the sponges have is you can use them in a tank like your 40 and only put 20 gals of water in so a small group of fish does nt get lost until they grow into it. I raised these fry in 55 gal and did that by using the foam partition you see in the photos.. I had them initially in 15 gals worth of space and moved the partition as they grew. Same idea here for your 40... just using water levels instead of foam to keep the fry together more.

al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Good luck to everyone who participates. This should be a neat contest. AL said it's OK for me to blow my own horn a bit. The parents of these fry came from me about 2 years ago. They were fry from a High-Body Blue Snakeskin male and a Blue Snakeskin female pair I had. The HB male was 7+" and the female 61/2", both with great shape. I bred them for their size and shape in particular. I think that paid off, as you can see from the nice round shape of Al's parents, especially in the face. One of the fish from that group that I kept won Best Home-Bred DIscus at the recent NADA show, I'm sure mostly due to it's great shape. These fry should continue that pattern if well taken care of!
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 09-19-2018 at 04:31 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    Good luck to everyone who participates. This should be a neat contest. AL said it's OK for me to blow my own horn a bit. The parents of these fry came from me about 2 years ago. They were fry from a High-Body Blue Snakeskin male and a Blue Snakeskin female pair I had. The HB male was 7+" and the female 61/2", both with great shape. I bred them for their size and shape in particular. I think that paid off, as you can see from the nice round shape of Al's parents, especially in the face. One of the fish from that group that I kept won Best Home-Bred DIscus at the recent NADA show, I'm sure mostly due to it's great shape. These fry should continue that pattern if well taken care of!
    The bar has been set - 7 inches!

Thanks Steve, this makes it all that more interesting. We’re the original fish from Kenny?
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 09-19-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

Oh yes, from Kenny. I meant to say that. Thanks!

I actually bought the HBS male in 2009. Made it 8 years with me.
    I found this link for my original sale.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...ping-available
    Last edited by RogueDiscus; 09-19-2018 at 04:32 PM.

Hi Al
    I will be using the small double sponge filters, can you please include a piece for me as well?

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast