ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

For fry grow outs does anyone use repashy food? Its a gel based food that doesn't break down when it is exposed to water. Does anyone has experience with using it for fry grazing during the day between more concentrated feedings? Would anyone be willing to try it with this group of grow outs?

Edited for grammar
    Last edited by JamesW; 09-27-2018 at 04:57 PM.

Hee haw, fish arrived at 254 CTZone. 9 of 10 made the three day travel. The box was leaking, poor babies had little water. It’s rough here in the Midwest. I unpacked as quickly as i could. Will see how tonight goes. Glad most survived. Fingers still crossed..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Still no word here in Michigan. The local post office doesn’t know and neither does USPS customer service. Unfortunately this is becoming routine for me as 4 out of the 5 times I’ve ordered fish, the packages have been delayed. The USPS customer service did say that only priority express comes w a time guarantee- but it is $11-12 more. Encouraging folks have been getting some boxes though!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiege View Post
    Hee haw, fish arrived at 254 CTZone. 9 of 10 made the three day travel. The box was leaking, poor babies had little water. It’s rough here in the Midwest. I unpacked as quickly as i could. Will see how tonight goes. Glad most survived. Fingers still crossed..
    Great news Karen, there was little water in mine too but I think Al packed them that way on purpose. Is your box wet from the inside or outside?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Still no word here in Michigan. The local post office doesn’t know and neither does USPS customer service. Unfortunately this is becoming routine for me as 4 out of the 5 times I’ve ordered fish, the packages have been delayed. The USPS customer service did say that only priority express comes w a time guarantee- but it is $11-12 more. Encouraging folks have been getting some boxes though!
    Crossing fingers for you Eric and things break loose soon.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    For fry grow outs does anyone use repashy food? Its a gel based food that doesn't break down when it is exposed to water. Does anyone has experience with using it for fry grazing during the day between more concentrated feedings? Would anyone be willing to try it with this group of grow outs?

Edited for grammar
    Hi James, I have some Repashy and have been thinking about trying it. There are a lot of different types, but the two I have are a community one (name escapes me off the top of my head) and "soilent green." I made a batch of both recently and froze it, and will probably offer some to the fry and see if I can get them to accept it, as it has the virtue of being relatively "clean," at least insofar as it doesn't use wheat or similar as a binder, and it doesn't seem to fungus if left in the tank for a while.

Thing is, I don't know how palatable the discus will find the varieties I have. My larger but still young discus didn't do much with it, and they have been happy to eat about 7-8 other things. (I may not have stayed with it long enough with them, though. It's a new texture for them to be sure.) So far my angels have been the same. My bristlenose like both kinds and I am feeding a lot of it to them. My endlers will also pick at them with gusto, and some tetras (like rainbows/emperors) go for the community, while others (black tetras) seem to ignore it. Cherry shrimp like both kinds, and they're getting a lot of it as well.

Since you asked, I'll give it a go on my thread and we'll see what happens.

Real Name
    Bill

Glad we got one more delivery--congrats, Karen--but man, this is not going as well as I was thinking it would. If it's any consolation, the fish I got seemed like they could have lasted a lot longer in their bags. Hope they don't need to!

Yep sure was, but am hoping I see 9 little hungry bodies in the morning. Feed some tonight and letting them adjust. I guess that's what I want to do after 3 days travelling

Quote Originally Posted by Kwiege View Post
    Yep sure was, but am hoping I see 9 little hungry bodies in the morning. Feed some tonight and letting them adjust. I guess that's what I want to do after 3 days travelling
    Karen glad they got there. Pat was right on the shipping.. I know its counter intuitive but fish don't need alot of water in shipping... they do however need air. .. As long as they are covered with water they usually survive . The small frys like these especially.Theres probably more volume water per fish than when you get bigger discus in.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post

Edited for grammar
    I tried it several years ago to make my own food James .It wasnt a big success. I recently also tried the weekend gel foods sold at LFS.Tetra? My discus fry hated that but it worked awesome for the pleco fry.
    al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Karen,
    Did food make it there ok?
    I would feed a small pinch as soon as you can.They will start picking on it.
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Real Name
    Filip

They all starting to show up one by one .
    I hope and pray that all of you will receive them by tommorow . Still keeping my fingers crossed along with you folks on this patience and awaiting game .

Real Name
    Steve

Al's hands must have been getting tired, causing a few leaks. I've been there.

Yes it did and was still dry, thanks for asking. They did show some interest tonight, but am hoping with some quiet time tomorrow they will start to dive into the food

Great! If you havent already you may want to put salt in the tank too Karen. 1-2 tablespoons should help them settle in and ease their gill function as well as help any shipping injury.

hth,
    Al

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast