AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Exclamation Discus Grow Out Challenger Contest 2018

Hi all,
    We have had a few grow out contests here at the forum. The first dates back to 2007 when I donated a bunch of F2 alenquers I had bred to the contest. It was fun contest and some nice fish were grown out. We had other contests since then that were fun also, but more complicated and they ran into various issues along the way. I didn't think I would ever do another one, but thats what I am considering, heaven help me! This time if we do this we will return to more simple times... Going back to the original 2007 format... All the fish from the same spawn, which I will donate to the contest.. The group would be Fineline Blue snakeskins and blue Turqs... all from the same spawn.

Here is a screen shot of that first contest announcement...

challenger v1.jpg
    and the contest itself is here..
    http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...allenge-(2008)

Back in 2007 I had alot more tanks and tank space. I do not have this anymore, and what I have I need for my core breeding project. I won't be able to grow these fish out to as large a size which makes shipping them and growing them a real CHALLENGE.

The fish I send out would be dime to nickel size and I believe I can safely ship them by USPS 2-3 day priority mail at this time of year. I ran an experiment and discussed this with our Moderator team. I can easily fit 8 of the fry in a medium flat rate box ( costs ~ $15 ) to ship. Possibly more if I double up the fish in the bags. I would use 48 hour heat packs which by my test work as I need them to.

2018-09-12 10.51.43.jpg

2018-09-12 10.50.39.jpg

2018-09-12 10.49.40.jpg

2018-09-12 10.49.05.jpg

2018-09-12 10.48.21.jpg

One of the main problems with these grow out contests is participants don't always post their updates and lose interest after a while. When that happens it puts us in an awkward spot. If we remove them from the contest it makes the contest less interesting overall. If we are lenient it irritates the participants ( and it should!) who are following the rules and doing as was agreed. Obviously I can't force members to do as they agreed and post updates, but we have to have a way to encourage it strongly. One way I am considering is to require participants to put a deposit down of $100. If they follow through as they agreed they get the deposit back minus the cost of shipping the fish (at this time thats $15) It would mean that participants now have another reason to keep up with the program requirements. Is this a fair request? Obviously the fish are theirs to keep either way.

I do not know if we will have prizes, maybe. I'm a bit tapped out right now so my contribution this contest will be the fish. We may have trophies... probably. This is all in the planning stages its not definite. I would like feedback and to get a sense of realistic interest. I will require you all to start with a 10 gal tank with no other tank occupants and bare bottom for the first 2 weeks.Tank will need appropriately sized heaters. Covered on the sides and bottom. Air driven sponge filters. At this age the fish are fragile. This is your best chance of a good start. I will also require that you age their water that first 2 weeks for the same reason. I will include the food I am feeding them with the shipment so you can transition to other foods.

I will not kid you here. This isn't a contest for the weak of heart. There is a world of difference between raising a 1/2" discus vs a 2" discus. You will probably experience loss. You may lose them all. My obligation ends with getting them to you alive. Please understand that if you run into issues. Ideally this contest is for more experienced hobbyists. Please consider that if you express interest in competing.

At this size I can only tell you they are healthy. I will cull for obvious things like runts, sliders, and visible defects. DO NOT EXPECT SHOW FISH RESULTS. Its unlikely all your fish will turn out great. You only need one in the group to do as we will judge the single best one you submit.

Ok, so thats where we are. I really do need to hear from you all as these contests are a significant time and resource commitment on our part. I think it would be a fun contest if members keep in mind thats what its supposed to be. I will leave off with a picture of the parents so you can see what is possible as far as quality. These are snakeskins, you will potentially receive snakeskins or blue Turqs..

38.jpg

and here..http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showth...***UPDATED**** you can see a previous batch of fry from the parents.

thanks,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 01-06-2019 at 10:07 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Discus Growout contest Challenger 2018????????????????

This sounds so fun Beautiful fish too.

I'm so down on this competition.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

I would be interested as well. When I first joined the forum I read through these contest threads and wished they were still going on because there is a lot to learn from others documenting their experiences.

I have a group of 2 year old fish I grew out from nickel size and I think the effort involved would make the contest all that more exciting - plus it's a lot of fun to watch the fish grow. I certainly think a $100 deposit is fair to keep us all engaged (in fact I'd be fine with just considering it a donation to the forum given contestants do get fish at the end of the day...).
    Last edited by modealings; 09-15-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I'm game Al
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Certainly sounds like a blast. Nothing like a little 'put up or shut up' to keep us honest!

I’d love to give it a try!!!

Real Name
    Brian

I was involved in the first challenge and it was fun! I would like to try it again! A contest like this can be a great learning experience!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I was involved in the first challenge and it was fun! I would like to try it again! A contest like this can be a great learning experience!

I was also involved with the first challenge, the Australian leg of it, and learnt more about growing out juvenile discus than i could ever imagine. I look back at it from time to time and cringe at some of the things i did, but it was a huge learning curve for me, and helped me alot on my next attempt.

I highly recommend people getting involved with this, especially the new members just getting into the hobby. Don't be afraid of failure, but of all the knowledge you may gain, and it really is alot of fun. Not to mention the discus you will end up with at the end of it.

Good luck with it this time rounds Al. I hope you have lots of interest. Keeping it simple like the first round will sure make it easier to follow.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by two utes; 09-16-2018 at 04:56 PM.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

I would love to see this contest again! Since I don't have enough space to do it justice then I can contribute trophies if need be. Any way to support.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Pat

Hey guys, if you want to do this please speak up. The fish aren't getting any younger
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

Come on guys, need three more to may this happen
    Pat

Registered Member

I would like to participate in this challenge!

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_skylar View Post
    I would like to participate in this challenge!
    Great!! 2 more!

Count me in!!

Real Name
    Bill

I'd long-winded enough, that's for sure... ... and would enjoy learning, too. In for a penny in for a pound, right? For me, no need for prizes beyond the discus themselves; growing them out healthy would be a win at my level of experience. So, if I'm qualified enough, put me down! (If not, that's cool, too. But let's see this happen!)
    --Bill

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast