ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Tank size

Default Tank size

What is better for Discus a long fish tank or a tall tank? I always though they liked the taller the better. But I’ve done some research and some people say they think the longer the better. I was thinking about getting a large hex tank 75 gallon of larger. That’s the reason why I’m asking. Also I’ve heard different on whether you need bubbles in tank too. I have a 90 gallon tank with plenty of surface movement, having 2 AC 110s and a Fluval FX5 filtering tank. Are bubbles still needed?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Tank size

When I was a kid growing up in San Francisco, I kept discus and the shop owner always suggested a tall tank. But, with a 75g or 90g I think they would do great. Because of my limited space now, I mainly use the standard 55g and they seem just fine although a 125 or larger in on my wish list.

Real Name
    Tobi

I would go with a long rather than tall tank, space permitting. Once the discus are settled, they tend to have their own little territories (mine do anyways), and the long would give them more space to claim theirs. Less bickering that way.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Ok thanks. But if I were to put them(Adults)in a Hex tank, do you think they would feel confined? Looking for a tank that has less than a 48 inch footprint for 6 or 7 adult Discus.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Hi, I was limited to the same length as no more than 48" available, so I got one that was 24" wide and 24" tall, the fish so far have grown to 6" and it seems big enough at least for now. The extra width appears to be really beneficial compared to the skinnier 20" or even only 16" wide tanks you more commonly find for 48" long tanks
    Last edited by Paul Sabucchi; 09-15-2018 at 02:05 PM.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    harry g

I've found they like long better. But if you don't have the space you gotta due what you gotta due.

What about bubbles in fish tank? Are they needed?

No, depends on bioload and circulation.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

You have to make sure you get enough oxygen in the water, the higher the water temperature the less oxygen will desolve in it. So you either use airstones or some form of surface agitation to saturate it as much as possible. As Adam said it depends on how heavily stocked the tank is, but also on the surface to volume ratio - a tall tank with a smaller footprint will naturally get less oxygen in the water than a same volume one but shallower with a larger footprint.

Real Name
    Frank

I would think that they like long better. If they get spooked they have distance to travel.

Real Name
    Mark

Judging from what i have seen in my tank i agree that longer is better, the chase never makes it more than a third of the 72" tank. Also my tank is 30" front to back which makes u turns easier for escapes.

Real Name
    Willie

My experience has been that bigger fish, regardless of type, appreciate "bubbles". I used to run powerheads in tanks 75 gal and larger. Now I run sponge filters with air stones running hard. Either way, fish seem more lively, have more color and eat better with aeration.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.