AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: anybody have a discus that just won't grow

Registered Member

Default anybody have a discus that just won't grow

i bought a group of 7 discus about a year ago all where about 4.5 inches when i bought them all the other fish have grown there all in the 6 inch + range but the one blue sapphire doesn't seem to be getting any bigger i bought two sapphires one of them is huge biggest fish in the tank but the runt is only 5 inches max the thing is the little guy is the bully of the tank he eats like crazy just don't really get it hes completely healthy to just no growth spurt from him

Default Re: anybody have a discus that just won't grow

Matt,
    Its natural. Theres potentially always some whose genetics won't let them get bigger. Same way it is some people are 5'6" and others are 6' +" .As long as they are healthy its not unusual for some discus in a group to of same age to be smaller than others.

Usually the smaller ones get picked on but your little one sounds like he could careless if he is smaller.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Matt,
    Its natural. Theres potentially always some whose genetics won't let them get bigger. Same way it is some people are 5'6" and others are 6' +" .As long as they are healthy its not unusual for some discus in a group to of same age to be smaller than others.

Usually the smaller ones get picked on but your little one sounds like he could careless if he is smaller.

al
    Thanks for the response Al ya kinda what i was figuring just isn't going to be big fish but ya nobody messes with him he bullies everyone around. pretty funny to watch sometimes because he's probally half the size of the biggest fish i have in there and he won't back down from him either. anyway hope all is well Al

i grew out a bunch of 13, some were siblings...all grew to different sizes...all in the same water...all had same options of food. couple stayed small, couple seems small but then get big.
    what i know is that if its hard to guess based on what they looked like little how they would do