ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water conditioner necessary?

Registered Member

Default Water conditioner necessary?

So I’ve been using prime and was going to switch to safe. From what I’ve read it seemed like I should do some research on my local water chlorine levels. I spoke with someone who told me that our city does not add chloramines and that our level of chlorine is under 1ppm. He said that since we don’t add chloramines I could safely age the water and I didn’t need to add any conditioners. Is this true?

Registered Member

Default Re: Water conditioner necessary?

I've found it's often hard to get reliable information on disinfection techniques. The best thing to do is to run a low range total chlorine test on each batch of water before refilling the tank. Then you'll know whether your dechlorination methods, whatever they may be, have been effective. Also, that the treatment plant hasn't changed levels.

In your case, I would let some water sit for a few days and test chlorine levels.

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Triciagl View Post
    So I’ve been using prime and was going to switch to safe. From what I’ve read it seemed like I should do some research on my local water chlorine levels. I spoke with someone who told me that our city does not add chloramines and that our level of chlorine is under 1ppm. He said that since we don’t add chloramines I could safely age the water and I didn’t need to add any conditioners. Is this true?
    Prime does more than just the chlor* levels. Stick with what's worked. City levels would fluctuate from what is specified at a certain location.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

In my area, there is (surprisingly) real-time website to check water quality,
    and (unsurprisingly) the Chlorine level can be varied from 0.5ppm - 3ppm during one day.

So, firstly, you might better check if you have access to such info,
    and secondly, better safe (pun intended) than sorry, I would never stop using Safe myself.
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Quote Originally Posted by snxtif View Post
    In my area, there is (surprisingly) real-time website to check water quality,
    and (unsurprisingly) the Chlorine level can be varied from 0.5ppm - 3ppm during one day.

So, firstly, you might better check if you have access to such info,
    and secondly, better safe (pun intended) than sorry, I would never stop using Safe myself.
    That is fantastically efficient! What is your water like for pH and hardness?

Real Name
    Matt

Use Prime. My understanding is that chlorine can bond with Ammonia to create chloramine, so doesn’t need to be chloramine in the water supply. Also, if something goes wrong (e.g. dead dog in water catchment pipe), the water company may need to treat with chloramine.
    If you age the water as you suggest, you could be safe, but why risk it.

Real Name
    Mervin

Yes,it is true.My city only uses chlorine.I age my water for at least a full day.I don't use conditioners when I age my water,it is not really necessary.Also,when I do use something it's the cheapest one you can use,sodium thiosulfate.Our city would not be allowed to put chloramine in the water ways without our public awareness.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mattgoanna View Post
    Use Prime. My understanding is that chlorine can bond with Ammonia to create chloramine, so doesn’t need to be chloramine in the water supply. Also, if something goes wrong (e.g. dead dog in water catchment pipe), the water company may need to treat with chloramine.
    If you age the water as you suggest, you could be safe, but why risk it.
    Usually, "flushes" are with chlorine as it's a stronger disinfectant. Many systems that use chloramine have to use chlorine periodically to control the growth of nitrifying bacteria.

There usually isn't ammonia in the drinking water distribution unless it's put there deliberately.

One concern is that organic chloramines can form from the reaction of chlorine and amino acids. This may be an argument against dechlorinating in the tank. Organic chloramines are just as toxic but resistant to dechlorination chemicals. They also won't be detected by typical chlorine tests.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

I haven't ever used dechlorinator, for a WC it gets aerated and aged before going in and I only do 30% WC at any one time due to the size limit of my aging barrel. Additionally, 2/3 of this is RO so guaranteed chlorine free.

Stendker recommends using a shower head to aerate the water before addition to the tank to purge chlorine.

Registered Member

Plenty of chlorine got through my first RO filter.

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Even through two carbon block filters? Did it kill your RO membrane?

Registered Member

I think I only had one carbon block at the time. Many fish were killed but the RO membrane continued to perform quite well for years. I ended up installing 5 carbon blocks in a row.

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by Triciagl View Post
    If you're absolutely sure about chlorine versus chlorine, then sodium triplicate can be substituted. It's certainly far less expensive. But do not skip water treatment altogether, unless you feel getting gassed regularly is okay.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Mervin

Hi Willie,I can't seem to find sodium triplicate when I google it.I have never heard of it.

Registered Member

Probably sodium thiosulfate auto-corrected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast