ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: A Little Out of Order

Real Name
    Mark

Default A Little Out of Order

Hello my name is Mark, i skipped over this part figuring i'd have more to tell once my tank had water in it instead of dust. My wife and I are from Ohio on the edge of Lake Erie about 20 miles west of Cleveland. All the kids are grown and on their own except for our 4 legged child Maggie who is a Great Dane. I work in Aerospace and my wife is a retired hairdresser. We enjoy boating on Lake Erie and traveling when time permits. My hobbies are quite varied. They include woodworking, metal working,restoring cars,building race cars, aviation,hunting , fishing, and last but not least aquariums. My parents started me out with a 30 gallon slate bottomed chrome steel framed tank that my dad and i set up as an in-wall under the steps to the basement. It was a community tank with only a hang on filter with plastic plants and some big chunks of slate. In my teens i started adding tanks till the basement looked like a LFS. Sold it all and went to college. Did the life and kids thing for a long while, till one Christmas when my wife gave me the green light for a 75 gal saltwater tank. it slowly became a very full reef setup. So of course i moved up, to a 220 gal setup. That tank was a full blown reef with SPS, LPS and several clams, multiple surgeon fish and a trigger for good measure. That tank ran for 15 years in the basement. We decided to move the reef to the living room and upsize the tank a little to 245gal. The tank was ordered but in the change over period there was a near crash of the system and i found new homes for the remaining animals. So the new tank sat for several years empty... One day i was told to either finish it or sell it. I decided to return to my first love. A freshwater in-wall tank. I chose Discus, for their beauty and that i never do anything easy. I registered on Simply a while back and spent a lot of time doing my research, so far things are doing well, but i enjoy learning from all the experience that is given so graciously here and hope to add what i can.

Registered Member

Default Re: A Little Out of Order

O man love the story and cant wait to see pictures of your set-up 😉😉

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Welcome back, kind of! So how far along are you with setting up the tank, give us more details!

Hey Mark, Glad you introduced yourself! Welcome officially to SimplyDiscus!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Welcome, Mark. I'm looking forward to following your journey. Hope you post some pics as you move along.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Patty

Hi Mark,
    Nice introduction. Welome (belatedly) to Simply Discus and the king of The freshwater fish. Good choice! So, when do we get to see your tank and fish?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Filip

Hi and welcome Mark . I'm sure that discus will bring back that passion of fish keeping in you again .
    In looking forward following your tank and discus journal here .

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

And more to the point, can we see photos of the Dane?
    These are my current two
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Mark

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! As far as the tank set up and progress i started a thread in My Tank Journals. I do have fish in the tank, all from Kenny. Out of ten fish i have two matching breeding pairs and one mismatched. So lots of posturing going on. I will shrink down a couple pics of our Dane as soon as i can. She was a rescue that we got after are big boy passed (188lbs). When we got her she was a 106lbs bag of bones. She had a bad case of worms, which we treated her for only to have her come down with aspiration pneumonia which nearly killed her. We nursed her day and night for 2 weeks, it cost her sight in the process. But now we have a very sassy blind Dane of 140lbs! That is the same couch!!http://forum.simplydiscus.com/attach...1&d=1537388093
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Good gawd em are huge lol
    I've never kept something bigger than a Terrier
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...