AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Homemade Salad dressing and Marinade

Default Homemade Salad dressing and Marinade

Hello all,
    If you use salad dressing and marinades and are a label reader its pretty discouraging the junk they throw in. Artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, soy oil (I really don't like it), high fructose corn syrup( I really really don't like it) etc. I grill alot and use italian dressings as part of my marinade. I don't care for the junk in most store brands and the ones that are more natural are expensive! So a little research and I came up with my own marinade. Thought I would share it. The spices are ones I like, you can substitute or remove, You can also add more of one or another depending on your tastes.

First I make a dry mix that I can use when I want to make the dressing.
    4 tablespoons Mrs.Dash Italian Blend
    4 tablespoons Mrs. Dash original
    3 tablespoons Salt
    1 tablespoons Fine black pepper(coarse works too)
    1 tablespoon Minced dry garlic
    13 tablespoons Italian Seasoning ( you can use oregano, majorum, and thyme instead.)
    3 tablespoons ground garlic powder
    2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning ( basically salt, paprika, black pepper and cayenne pepper)
    2 tablespoons crushed red pepper

Mix well and keep in an airtight container.

To make the marinade, shake up and remix the dry mix above. add 2 tablespoons in a jar with a lid

1/2 cup virgin olive oil or avocado oil.. or whatever oil you prefer.
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar

Seal the jar tightly Shake well and store in the refrigerator. Allow it to sit overnight before using. Best to use within 2 weeks.

Its real easy and can be modified to have anything in it you want.

You will notice I have not added added sugar and the salt I am conservative on.. You can modify that to your own tastes.

This can be used on salads as a dressing but it shines on meats as a marinade. It will make a killer steak marinade , we also use it on lamb one the grill. Also if you make pot roasts, add some to a pan, and sear your roasts all sides in it, and add a little to the pot..Its awesome !

hth,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-19-2018 at 09:12 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: Homemade Salad dressing and Marinade

Sounds good Al - I'll get the ingredients I'm missing & give it a try !

I'd never used Mrs. Dash so I read the ingredients. Like Paul said, it sounds good. I'm a label reader, too. My big problem with almost anything store bought is the added sugar type products. I dislike sweetness in most of my savory dishes. The exceptions are Asian dishes that require sweetness, hotness, and savoriness and BBQ sauce which need the sweet. Even most BBQ sauces are too sweet for my taste. I found that Bulls Eye is just right. I often use it instead of ketchup when I make meatloaf.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

This looks good Al, I will be making some up. I like the low salt in it!

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!