ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Snails

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Snails

Simple question; do snails carry parasitic or bacterial disease that can be passed to discus? Thanks!

Registered Member

Default Re: Snails

yes, yes, snail is live organism

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Simple question; do snails carry parasitic or bacterial disease that can be passed to discus? Thanks!
    absolutely yes
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    absolutely yes
    Thanks Al. So gonna clean my sump and tank out before getting my discus. Getting rid of the visible ones is easy when going bare bottom, but will hydrogen peroxide kill any snail eggs present?

Real Name
    Daniel

Can snail eggs be host or just once hatched?

Registered Member

Thanks Al. So gonna clean my sump and tank out before getting my discus. Getting rid of the visible ones is easy when going bare bottom, but will hydrogen peroxide kill any snail eggs present?
    yes he kill all, then clean, must be dry and leave for few hours

Can snail eggs be host or just once hatched?
    Very few parasites can get into the egg stage... generally they are ok. if you can safely hatch them... is there a certain snail you are interested in? I'd feel safer if its one that lays its eggs above the water line

Ive bred the Gold Incas before...
    https://www.aquariumcarebasics.com/f...ld-inca-snail/

They just tolerate the low 80s.

Becareful though some similar snails like Chinese mystery snail are live bearers.... and very invasive. We have a problem with them in some CT bodies of water now ..Same for other states.

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Daniel

I'm not interested in keeping snails, but I recently discovered some unwanted ones in my sump. When I sterilize my tank after I sell my frontosa group next week I want to make sure they're all gone. Easy enough to remove visible ones, but it is often difficult to eliminate all the eggs. If the eggs are safe from being host to disease I will try to eliminate them all, but then I am not too worried if some rehatch after I clean my system with hydrogen peroxide. Thanks everyone!

Real Name
    Bill

Hi Daniel, I've never tried sterilizing with peroxide... any reason you're not using a bleach solution?

Also, I once got nuisance snails out of a sump while there were fish in my system by dosing with copper (Seachem Cupramine) at half strength. Worked great.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks mate. Hydrogen peroxide doesn't bond to the glass or silicone like bleach does. It is a great sterilizer, especially if you use the ag grade 30%. For me it gives greater peace of mind concerning residuals that may negatively affect my fish. I also happen to have a gallon of 30% from a mold remittance job I did in the basement of the last house I lived in👍

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

30% peroxide is also a great explosive. How has it been stored and how long since you did the mold job? Be careful.

Real Name
    Daniel

I wasn't aware of that James. I did the mold job 2 yrs ago. It has been in my basement at old house, and garage in the new house. Never in direct sunlight, always cool temps.
    Are you talking spontaneous explosions? Am I safe? What are safe storage conditions?

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

With 30% H2O2 in lab we store it in the freezer and dispose of after ~1 year.

It likely isn't 30% any more and age will make it less potent rather than more. Spontaneous explosions don't typically happen but can if the bottle is contaminated with something (used syringe) then closed.

Wear gloves, pour out of the bottle and whatever is taken out of the bottle doesn't go back in so you don't contaminate the bulk of the material. Add to water rather than adding water to the concentrated solution, don't use vinegar, ammonia or bleach before or after using peroxide without a thorough water rinse in between.

Personally, after using this I would dispose of it. If you want to clean things with peroxide I would use Sodium Percarbonate (OxiClean) it is much more stable and safe to handle than concentrated peroxide solutions.

Real Name
    Daniel

Sounds good James. Thanks for the heads up, I sure appreciate the safety tips!

Real Name
    Daniel

For my tank and sump I was going to use it at full strength, it's actually 29%, in a clean spray bottle and apply directly to all surfaces, leave for 10 or 15 minutes and then rinse thoroughly with the garden hose. For sterilizing my plumbing hoses and hard media I was going to dilute by 50% in a bucket and soak for 10 to 15 also before rinsing thoroughly. Any objections to this method please just comment here again. Thanks mate. Danny