AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: Wild Blue/Brown/Red Discus Biotope

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Default Re: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

A very spectacular build, and an amazing project. Many of us would love to own a tank of that calibur. I for one would have to reinforce my floors for starters since my house is built on stumps. That tank would have to weigh in at over 3 tonnes? I see your floor is tiled and i presume you're on a solid concrete slab. Nice work documenting it all...Something i need to come back too and read thoroughly.
    I'm sure you enjoy sitting in front of it with your favorite beverage....and so you should.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Tobi’s contest thread -> 650 gallon build

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Like I said, I don't mind throwing money at my fish. It's just that paying an outrageous amount for shipping was an affront.

I just bought a lb from the place you linked. Thanks.
    Cool. I’m interested to see what you think of it. I’d probably go easy on the first dosages, otherwise the water might end up darker than you like.

And I suggest you mix this outside, the powder and concentrate stain wood and clothes like hell. I did first attempt to make a 10% solution, but I added too much powder at once and it clumped so I had to dilute down to 5%. In the end I think the 5% is easier to dose, especially in smaller breeder tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by two utes View Post
    A very spectacular build, and an amazing project. Many of us would love to own a tank of that calibur. I for one would have to reinforce my floors for starters since my house is built on stumps. That tank would have to weigh in at over 3 tonnes? I see your floor is tiled and i presume you're on a solid concrete slab. Nice work documenting it all...Something i need to come back too and read thoroughly.
    I'm sure you enjoy sitting in front of it with your favorite beverage....and so you should.
    Thanks Joe, I enjoyed your thread as well.

The tank is on the second floor of an 1800’s Victorian era house. Few creaks every now and then, but so far it holds*. I’d estimate the total weght around 3.5-3.7 tonnes, the glas tank alone is north of 500 kg.

Yes indeed, I spend a lot of time in front of it. It’s especially satisfying to see that all 26 fish are doing well. I had a few that refused to eat for a while (you can see a few in the video that are not in the condition I’d like them to be, but they are very peculiar with which food they accept), but upping the temperature for a few days and feeding live food brought them around. Now they are foraging all day and it’s an indescribable joy to watch them show some natural behavior, pecking at stuff, sifting the sand and chasing each other.

*weak attempt at humor, the whole house is on concrete, only one floor, no basement
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Default Re: Wild Blue/Brown/Red Discus Biotope

Water sprite is getting on well

62508EA2-409F-4C52-AA1C-03FEB6C05678.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Right,

a little update on this is in order after the long radio silence.

Everything is going well, one of the discus died while I was traveling, the rest are fine. They’ve lost s bit of condition over the last 2 months, as I was out of the country for most of the time and I had the house sitters feed a lot less than usual to maintain water quality. So now we’re back to 3-4 feeds a day to get everyone back into shape.

The only thing that has changed a bit is the plants, the water sprite is basically out of control, the pothos is growing some bada$$ roots, and the water hyacinths haven’t survived. Not sure why, but I’ll try again eventually if I find any.

As always, some bright spots in the picture, the iPhone camera doesn’t seem to be able to cope with it. In reality the tank is not as brightly lit, but has a pleasant brown tan and a dark shadowy place under the sprite.

BB49EFF2-C69D-4A60-87B8-5D6AC3600200.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Ralph

Looks great Tobi considering your travel away for 2 months. I too had water sprite that would smother the rest of the plants and eventually sold them off. It's unfortunate you lost one Discus but if sitters only did the minor feeding and no w/c if that the case then thank goodness that's the only one. Now that your back on track I'm sure you will see some rewarding results.
    I never grew any pothos but might have to give it a go...I like the hanging roots.

...Ralph
    "Success comes from knowing that you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."
    -John Wooden

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

As you said, all things considered you got off lightly. Keep us up to speed your tank is always a sight for sore eyes
    My discus are not fat...just big fish-boned

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Altum Nut View Post
    Looks great Tobi considering your travel away for 2 months. I too had water sprite that would smother the rest of the plants and eventually sold them off. It's unfortunate you lost one Discus but if sitters only did the minor feeding and no w/c if that the case then thank goodness that's the only one. Now that your back on track I'm sure you will see some rewarding results.
    I never grew any pothos but might have to give it a go...I like the hanging roots.

...Ralph
    Yes absolutely. I’ll definitely put some elbow grease in all of the tanks in the coming weeks, but I’m enjoying it and looking forward to it. Right now they are all swimming in a lot of humin and they seem to like it as usual.

I think the sprite and pothos help a lot with water quality. As did the hyacinths. I’ve browsed some studies on these, and while they are a pest in most locations, they have a tremendous ability to filter toxins and heavy metals out of the water. And I miss the purple roots ��

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    As you said, all things considered you got off lightly. Keep us up to speed your tank is always a sight for sore eyes
    Yes I did get off lightly. So many things can go wrong that didn’t, so I’m grateful for that.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Also, there is a new shipment in the works, but this time I’ll (try to) restrain myself and not go mental with the ordering again.

Since the exporter does not have any full spotted greens I’ll probably stick to blue royals this time. There’s still a bit of room in the tank. I guess the maximum I would order is 6 fish.

He just got the new shipment in from Santarem Discus, which has Cuipeua, Batata and Jacacappa as this year’s collection locations. Never heard of the latter 2 to be honest. From what I’ve seen so far they don’t look that different from the Iripixi from last year.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Here’s a video of the fish before they were sent to Germany. The big Batatas are going to be out of the question due to cost, but my friend here has ordered 4 of them for himself. So I can see them in his tank if I want to. I’ll try to snatch some nice 13-15 cm ones.

Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Silver Member
    Real Name
    Armando

Those are beautiful! I wonder if I’ll ever be ready for wilds! You definitely motivate me to get better.

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mando View Post
    Those are beautiful! I wonder if I’ll ever be ready for wilds! You definitely motivate me to get better.
    I don’t see why not. Contrary to popular belief, they are not that difficult, in fact in my opinion and experience easier than domestics. They’re tough as nails as far as discus go, as long as you stay on top of their needs. If you can handle domestics, I’m sure you will do well with wilds.

Pat has some incredibly valuable threads in her homestead and in the wilds section, definitely worth having a look. Water chemistry, behavior , breeding...
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

I’ve started selecting some fish for the next shipment from Germany to Dubai. These are the first 4 that are reserved. All Jacarecappa royal.

AB9E0D0A-75F8-4E11-B56A-3D4AD4231837.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Real Name
    Tobi

Just finished selecting the fish for the new shipment, few changes, but extremely happy and excited about these. Absolute stunners. 10 fish total, 9 in the vid, one more pictured separately below. ETA end of January.

59A84306-99B5-4DBC-A17C-10912C094593.jpg
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Alright Tobi, officially jealous It's is very hard to find good quality wilds in the US ATM.
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 01-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Tobi

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Alright Tobi, officially jealous It's is very hard to find good quality wilds in the US ATM.
    Pat
    These are from Santarem. I believe Wattley will get them in this year. Shame though, the Cuipeua weren’t on point this year. But these Batata are crazy, have never seen such round fish with that much consistency, almost too round.

Last one chosen this morning:

C100D261-5144-4280-B3AF-97B530467E07.jpg

Now I need to find a way to tell my wife
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 01-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    Regards,
    Tobi

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Wild Blues/Browns/Reds
    Wild Heckels
    Wild Greens

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast