AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How did you hear about SimplyDiscus!!

Real Name
    Rick May

Default Re: How did you hear about SimplyDiscus!!

It's been a very long time but I remember DAAH and a forum that preceded that. The one before DAAH kinda melted down as forums sometimes do into a bunch of flaming posts, some dude called Kees with a bunch of pent-up rage. Gota forgive me, its been like 20 years. For a while both DAAH and Simply were going then DAAH kinda faded away (or I just stoped going there).

Quote Originally Posted by pastry View Post
    I can't exactly remember but I do remember another old Forum that I originally read but never participated in. I think it was DAAH ( discus as a hobby) or something like that. That was right after getting out of the Marine Corps and being able to keep discus again. Once my wife and I got our first house to make that feasible then I could not find the old Forum but simplydiscus was the first thing that popped up and I have been a fan ever since. To keep in good spirits with my normal posts, I was probably drinking on a Friday night and stumbled upon it

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Jason

On my daily discus YouTube adventure seen a 1hr vid recorded from DIY king and it landed me here unreal speech btw

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Edy Kho

well back many years ago, i think i searched for "Potassium Permanganate for fish" from Google and it took me to this forum.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Nick

I found this place from "The king of DIY". From the presentation Al gave and that was posted online.

Real Name
    Carmelita

I hear about simply discus from Joey King DIY I bought my first discus in group order with Joey and some others from our aquarium form back then .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Alan

I found it Via Youtube where Al Sabetta was giving a talk on Discus, a week later myself and my other half went and bought our very first Discus after months of research.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Philip

Heard about it after watching Al's talk from one of Joey's YouTube videos. I thought SimplyDiscus sounded familiar and sure enough it was already in my browser history as many of the forum threads had invaluable information when I first started researching discus fish-keeping so I had to join and now that I have my own couple of discus tanks, I want to continue to learn more and connect with those that are like me with this uber fish-keeping obsession.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Well i'm in need of help at the end of this about a week ago i walked in to lfs seen some fish with pretty colors and bought 2 so after getting home getting them in tank i grab the laptop started looking up how to keep my new discus seen a videos with joey head line how to keep discus it had al
    talking on it sd was mentioned several times so i had to look it up, after looking at the site for couple hours i joined!!! So i have now learned that one should not buy discus from lfs it's been 8 days sence buying them and i've did a water change everyday and i did one around 1pm today and just maybe about an hour ago i thought wait those fish have been in that same corner every time i walked by the tank so i got as close as i could put my hand in up to glass they stayed right there didn't swim away i thought thats odd so i watched them and i think they arebreathing very rapdly someone help me please

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Combo Nations

Well i'm in need of help at the end of this about a week ago i walked in to lfs seen some fish with pretty colors and bought 2 so after getting home getting them in tank i grab the laptop started looking up how to keep my new discus seen a videos with joey head line how to keep discus it had al
    talking on it sd was mentioned several times so i had to look it up, after looking at the site for couple hours i joined!!! So i have now learned that one should not buy discus from lfs it's been 8 days sence buying them and i've did a water change everyday and i did one around 1pm today and just maybe about an hour ago i thought wait those fish have been in that same corner every time i walked by the tank so i got as close as i could put my hand in up to glass they stayed right there didn't swim away i thought thats odd so i watched them and i think they arebreathing very rapdly someone help me please

Real Name
    Frank

Ok, you have learned a hard lesson. No consolation but better on 2 discus versus 10!

I am taking a guess but I don't think anyone on this forum has not learned something about keeping discus "the hard way." I know I have not. What I would suggest is what Liz suggested - fill out a sickness questionnaire and get some feedback. It may come with some more hard lessons or it could save your fish. Continue to read the beginners forum (especially the stickies). You will find some differing opinions but you will also find a lot of consensus.

Welcome to keeping discus! Don't give up. Lessons learned early will save a lot of heartache later.

[Edited] Sorry, I just saw that you did post a sickness questionnaire.
    Last edited by fljones3; 01-05-2019 at 11:30 PM.

Registered Member samurai.cichlid's Avatar

the first time i heard about this forum was a few years back when joey mullens posted al sabetta's talk to his youtube channel.

i've lurked here for a long time, came here to get good advice on fishkeeping but never really felt compelled to join and engage in the discussion because i don't keep nor have i ever kept discus (i know...). but hear me out, i feel as though discus keepers are among the best people to learn from when it comes to keeping any fish, not just discus.

i had to scale back my hobby following hurricane florence (i live on the nc coast) but i'm looking to ramp it back up in the spring and what better way than to consider getting some discus. so i'm just getting my account here setup in case i need it lol.

hi all!

Gold Member FischAutoTechGarten's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter

I was performing a search on the internet for the now defunct Discus Study Group around 2003..... came upon DAAH.com first (Discus as a hobby, the old Jim Quarles site)… and quickly saw a reference to SimplyDiscus.com . I really liked the BrewMaster's style and the participants on Simply were much kinder than those on the other site, so I frequented here.
    Peter
    Cuerpo en Green Valley, Arizona, USA y Corazón en Alamos, Sonora, Mexico

learning never stops

Registered Member

Simply, Kenny was the culprit.

Real Name
    Patty

Quote Originally Posted by samurai.cichlid View Post
    the first time i heard about this forum was a few years back when joey mullens posted al sabetta's talk to his youtube channel.

i've lurked here for a long time, came here to get good advice on fishkeeping but never really felt compelled to join and engage in the discussion because i don't keep nor have i ever kept discus (i know...). but hear me out, i feel as though discus keepers are among the best people to learn from when it comes to keeping any fish, not just discus.

i had to scale back my hobby following hurricane florence (i live on the nc coast) but i'm looking to ramp it back up in the spring and what better way than to consider getting some discus. so i'm just getting my account here setup in case i need it lol.

hi all!
    So true what you say regarding discus keeping helping us keep other fish. I’ve applied things I’ve learned here to my other fish with great results. Welcome and I’m glad you are okay after Florence. I live in in Florida and know all about being in the cone!
    Nice that you found this site before getting started with discus. I started in the ER here, but I probably wouldn’t have attempted it otherwise so it worked out for the best. Glad I didn’t end up missing out on this rewarding fish.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123