ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: A tip for checking fry quality.

Default A tip for checking fry quality.

As I get ready to ship out the 2018 challenger grow out fry to our daring contestants I have been trying to weed out any fry with defects
    It can be challenging doing that in a tank of 30 active 2 "fish... try a 100s .at much smaller size moving around like spazzes thinking the feeding guy is there.

I tried using a regular flash light but its not strong enough. My tip is if you have a smart phone with a flash download a flashlight app..try that. It works awesome making it possible to clearly see things like gill plates. It also slowes them down a bit.lol.

I think it would help even with larger fry Juvies etc..

hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Default Re: A tip for checking fry quality.

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    As I get ready to ship out the 2018 challenger grow out fry to our daring contestants I have been trying to weed out any fry with defects
    It can be challenging doing that in a tank of 30 active 2 "fish... try a 100s .at much smaller size moving around like spazzes thinking the feeding guy is there.

I tried using a regular flash light but its not strong enough. My tip is if you have a smart phone with a flash download a flashlight app..try that. It works awesome making it possible to clearly see things like gill plates. It also slowes them down a bit.lol.

I think it would help even with larger fry Juvies etc..

hth,
    Al
    That's a good tip Al

When you say take a look at gill plates, what all symptoms can I check for ?

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: A tip for checking fry quality.

FYI, I read that 99% of all flashlight apps contain malware or spyware.