ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: Could use some advice

Default Could use some advice

I have a female Blue Scorpion who is married to a domestic RSG show quality fish. Both of them are huge. I have fry from that pair growing out but I want to breed that female to a Classic Blue Leopard male. I moved the female and the Lepoard male to a 40 cube last week. She has him pinned in a corner. He has a couple of bite marks on his side, but nothing serious. I just worry about him being too afraid of her to eat.

I figured that over time she would take a liking to him and forget about her true love. So far it has not happened. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

Default Re: Could use some advice

I've only had a situation like that once, so I don't know if this would work for any other pair. I just removed the male and left the female alone in the tank for a week or so. When I added my chosen male back in, she was much less aggressive towards him. I think she just had to be lonely for a little while to accept someone new. It may be that going immediately from her mate to a new male, she sees him as an interloper to be chased away.

Thanks a lot, Lindad. That sounds like a good idea. I'll wait a day before I move him just in case somebody else has another idea.
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I would try it the opposite way Liz. Add him to the tank first and let him own the tank. After a bit add her to the tank. I would also suggest lowing the temp to 82 or so. I have some super aggressive wilds and my temp was 86. I dropped the temp to 84 and it did make a difference in the aggressive levels.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I will put her in a 29 and leave him in the 40 so he can get comortable there. After a week or two I'll put him in with her and we'll see. The temp is already between 82 and 83. It doesn't help. She is a hell*****. The reason I removed her from my contest tank is because she was terrorizing all the other fish.
    Mama Bear

Liz I use a wire divider so they can see each other and get used to each other then I remove the divider after a week or two. It usually works fine. I'm always swapping fish from pair to pair here.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

I did not have a divider so I removed her for a week and put her in a tank alone. I wanted her to get lonely and the male to own his tank because she is such a bully. I had to remove her from the contest tank along with her chosen male because she was terrorizing all the other fish in the tank. She is hell on wheels.

I reintroduced her to her to the Chicago Discus male's tank this morning. At first I thought that everything was OK. This afternoon she has the poor male pinned into the same corner. I have no choice but to put her back with her chosen man. I'll just have to wait until their current kids grow up and chose a spotted SS female from them to breed my Chicago Discus male to.
    Mama Bear