AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Pat's Challenger Growout Thread

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Pat's Challenger Growout Thread

These are cell phone pictures. At some point in the future after all the water changes and feeding we will be asked to present our best fish for judging...with pictures.

So when you are around your fish, get them use to you putting your fingers up to the glass. Teach them to follow your fingers and to flare at you when you touch the glass. Let them see that big black object in your hand. If you are going to use flash get them use to that. For yourself take lots of pictures. Learn how to pose your fish or wait for the moment when it gives you just the right pose. Taking good pictures of fish is not easy. I really learned this when helping to take pictures with Ricardo of the show fish at NADA this past July. So practice, practice.
    Pat

0E92AB39-2FA4-4EBB-B791-D7A5EFE1F48F.jpg

0E264DE6-25E1-4E23-A42F-3B1BED4B5C2A.jpg

This is my little football runt.

10ADADE7-13AC-4692-818E-2CF7E24FA138.jpg

DB17FBC4-0B53-499D-BB4A-616E92171827.jpg

43312C8E-6426-4777-ABE9-3CC8E2FEE20E.jpg

CD4D2619-5548-49DF-8DAC-1F2C6B71A333.jpg

14C9FE7B-DBB5-425D-9FD1-FED718C00A6E.jpg

BBE33604-52F7-4ED7-BFE0-9505FBC1689C.jpg
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-02-2018 at 04:21 PM.
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Great advice Pat, definitely something I need to work on.

Another point that I'm not 100% clear on, are we being judged solely by the size of our largest fish or are we submitting photos for judging based on certain criteria like at NADA? I guess I just assumed we were going for the largest fish only.

Since the contest only lasts 8 months - 1 year, if we are just going for size then it seems like maximizing power feedings and WC's is the way to go. (Cant discus continue to grow until 2 years old?).

On the other hand, if it's roundness, size, symmetry, and overall appearance of the fish, then maybe taking it more slowly is the best way as Rick suggested above.

Real Name
    Pat

Eric, I honestly do not know the specific judging requirements which will be used for the contest. I do know that in the NADA standards size only accounts for 10 points out of a score of 100 points. I personally doubt that size would be the only criteria but honestly I do not really know.
    Pat

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Beautiful cell phone snaps Pat. Your grow out discus are stunning. Great tips on training your fish to pose for the camera as well. You're a wealth of great knowledge. Thanks for sharing do freely

Real Name
    Pat

Thank you Danny appreciate the kind thoughts!!
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by modealings View Post
    Great advice Pat, definitely something I need to work on.

Another point that I'm not 100% clear on, are we being judged solely by the size of our largest fish or are we submitting photos for judging based on certain criteria like at NADA? I guess I just assumed we were going for the largest fish only.

Since the contest only lasts 8 months - 1 year, if we are just going for size then it seems like maximizing power feedings and WC's is the way to go. (Cant discus continue to grow until 2 years old?).

On the other hand, if it's roundness, size, symmetry, and overall appearance of the fish, then maybe taking it more slowly is the best way as Rick suggested above.
    Guys I have intentionally avoided talking about the judging. I want you all to enjoy the journey not the end point. Just raise the fish as best you can for now. I will say this, the contest is not about who can raise the biggest fish. Its about who can raise the best fish. We have a hang up about size of discus in the hobby. A huge giant Discus is nothing more than that. I have seen some god awful shaped big discus. We will be using a score card system similar to NADAs to judge your fish. Things like size matter, but so do shape and color,pattern etc. Size is a factor. its not more important than anything else and should not be the sole focus.

From back in September when the contest started, I posted this.,,,
    Fish will be randomly netted from the same tank of Fry.Same parents same spawn. They may vary in size slightly.Remember the goal is raise them as best you can and share the growth and development along the way.Updates are critical. Sharing what you are doing specifically with regards to water changes, temperature and food are part of the competition... Im not sure just yet how We will factor the information into the final judging but we will.

Enjoy the Journey everyone..

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 12-03-2018 at 10:05 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.comFoods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Pat, me being new-ish to Discus after nearly 45 years of not much exposure, (as a child I helped care for several tanks of Discus) I want to thank you for not only writing the most informative post but for keeping the spirit of this "Challenge", not contest, in it's true intent--to educate and inform; to compare. Yes, I realize we are comparing the results and that stems competition. But I sense you struggle with being competitive and yet rise above it and teach us, the newbies, by disclosing exactly what you are doing both visually and with the written word. Please accept my most sincere thanks for all your efforts in every way, both internal and external processes. I would also like to say that most the people in this 'experiment', if you will, are also trying to keep with the spirit of the contest. I can see where Al and the other judges are going to have a difficult time evaluating growth, shape etc but you, my namesake, walk away with documentation skills.
    Patti

BTW great photography.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainChina59 View Post
    Pat, me being new-ish to Discus after nearly 45 years of not much exposure, (as a child I helped care for several tanks of Discus) I want to thank you for not only writing the most informative post but for keeping the spirit of this "Challenge", not contest, in it's true intent--to educate and inform; to compare. Yes, I realize we are comparing the results and that stems competition. But I sense you struggle with being competitive and yet rise above it and teach us, the newbies, by disclosing exactly what you are doing both visually and with the written word. Please accept my most sincere thanks for all your efforts in every way, both internal and external processes. I would also like to say that most the people in this 'experiment', if you will, are also trying to keep with the spirit of the contest. I can see where Al and the other judges are going to have a difficult time evaluating growth, shape etc but you, my namesake, walk away with documentation skills.
    Patti

BTW great photography.
    Why thank you Patricia, what a kind post . In my working life I was a software engineer and got to write lots of documents include Software User Manuals. Software User Manual require careful wording to convey to the most novice user the intent and use of the software they are trying to learn/use.

Let me welcome to you the forum also Patricia. It would be cool if you could introduce yourself and tell a little about yourself. BTW, my full name is Patricia also. Pat as a nickname is just easy to deal with.

Regarding the contest or challenge; my intention for becoming part of it was to have another go at raising fry and learning from the process. I was part of the 2012 grow out challenge which ended in utter failure (http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumd...al-Florida-USA). I have learned a lot from my fellow challengers. If any one is learning from me that is definitely a win-win for everyone. The most important take aways is the knowledge and experience as part of this Challenge...and lets not forget the fish
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

So tomorrow I leave for five days on a trip to North Florida and leaving Tom in charge of the tank. He will be feeding twice a day using FDBWs and doing small water changes to remove poop etc. I filled the tank up to the top and the fish are not too sure about that. Nor are they sure about feeding that high in the water column. Big chickens.

WC this morning

IMG_0407.jpg

Daring each other to see who will eat first lol

IMG_0409.jpg

IMG_0412.jpg

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 12-04-2018 at 07:35 PM.

Real Name
    Pat

I returned yesterday from my trip and Tom did a wonderful job with the fish. They actually looked a bit larger. The smaller turk did grow some. It has almost caught up with the larger turk. Noticing a small forehead notch at eye level on some of the fish Hope they outgrow that.
    Pat

IMG_1395.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1384.jpg

Registered Member PorcelainChina59's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patricia A Ireland-Martin

Great pics as always...is the notch undesirable? I can barely see it and probably wouldn't have if you didn't say something.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by PorcelainChina59 View Post
    Great pics as always...is the notch undesirable? I can barely see it and probably wouldn't have if you didn't say something.
    Thanks Patty Perhaps not so much in domestics. It is barely noticeable in the parents. Wild discus seem to have a pretty smooth forehead.
    Pat

Real Name
    Pat

A little mild aggression while resting between meals.

Real Name
    Pat

Looking at your fish with a critical eye can be very useful at times. One of my larger SS, same fish in the two pictures below. See any imperfections? I know at least one.

IMG_1420.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Disclaimer; This is a guess Pat, and a guess is all it is as I have no experience judging discus features.
    The last spiny dorsal ray is a little blunted/rounded leaving a dip in the transition to the soft dorsal rays??

Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast