AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Willie's Grow Out Challenge

Default Re: Willie's Grow Out Challenge

Alright, this post might be deleted but I could not help myself at the title of this thread. Due to this, I am rooting for Willie! Please name one "chubbie" just for me

Alright, I'll go ahead and get into my doghouse.
    -Elliot

Real Name
    Bill

Well, as a fellow William I've got no comment on the previous post...

But I did want to say that a) it's awesome your fish made it safely; and b) you signature line has me cracking up for reasons this photo will clarify...

2018-09-28 22.57.22.jpg

Seriously, I have an 8-year-old... I swear! Resistance is futile! I'm a smart guy, really... at least some of the time! (And c'mon, can you believe this one showed up? We've been hunting them for 2-3 weeks... what are the chances?)

Real Name
    Filip

Great news Willie .We are eagerly awaiting photos now

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Glad they made it safe and sound, the Agent must belong to one of those three letter Agencies! Wishing you and your little ones all the best for the contest and the future in general.

Real Name
    Willie

Thanks to everyone for your best wishes. This was a heck of a good idea from Brew.

The fry went into a 10-gal tank as I indicated previously. My usual treatment is to float the bags to acclimate the temperature and then in they go. My rule is no lights, no food for the first 24 hours. I also dropped the water level to help fish acclimate, so the 10-gal tank had ~6 gal of water.

This morning, I counted 10 fry. Of course, everyone scurries behind the sponge when I tried to take a picture.

DC1.jpg

I tried the Discus Gold, but they didn't seem enthused. In anticipation, I started a baby brine shrimp culture yesterday so they'll get that this afternoon. I'm also planning timed feeding during working hours.

dc3.jpg

So they look okay after the first water change. I dropped the water level to ~2 gal and then filled the tank. The chubby one on the left is named Elliott.

Willie

dc2.jpg
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Looking good Willie. Discus can be good shippers if packed properly just like any other fish. Glad they made it ok. Good luck with the contest!

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

Looking good Willie . I guess they will take your BBS with gusto on the next feed .

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Lookin good Willie, glad it all worked out for you & your fishies...looking forward to tracking your progress. I am new to discus (done the correct way LOL) so when you have a chance would you please explain how your BBS factory works, how long do they take to hatch, and how you get the BBS out? If growing them to adulthood do they need to be fed themselves? cheers mate. Danny

Real Name
    Willie

This BBS setup came from angelsplus.com and I've used it for more than a decade. Like everyone else, I use to have a DIY set up. This was just much easier to use to harvest baby brine shrimp. Much less messier than all those cut up gallon jugs.

The solution is just salt water. I use pickling salt (available at all supermarkets) at 5 - 6 tablespoons per gallon. Any salt would work. Pickling salt is cheap and dissolves fast. A flat teaspoon of brine shrimp eggs go in and I harvest the batch about 24 hours later. Harvesting early is important. Essentially, you want the shrimp to be mostly just yolk sac. As you wait, they absorb the yolk sac and develop an exoskeleton. The mixture looks much thicker, but it's actually far less nutritious.

I harvest everything and stick the bbs in the frig. Usually it takes me 48 hours to feed, so I start a batch every 48 hours. BBS is a great food for young fry, but I want to wean them onto beefheart by the end of the week to get them growing.

Hope that helps, Willie

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Willie, I have a similar looking BBS hatchery. I learned early the DIY method got the job done but time intensive and messy. I was working at the time so time was important. I bought one similar to yours. Way easier to harvest the BBS and like you, the harvested BBS went into the frig. Helps to preserve that precious egg yolk.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Willie. A very informative and helpful answer. Thanks for taking the time to respond mate. I appreciate it!

Real Name
    Patty

Glad your fish made it safe and sound. It’ll be exciting watching these guys plump up.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Daniel

1 last qn Willie; how do you "harvest" the BBS? Thanks mate!

Real Name
    Willie

There are netting which are fine enough to filter out the baby brine shrimp. During the hatch out process, unhatched eggs will sink to the bottom while empty shells float to the top. So it's a simple matter of running the middle fraction through the netting. Again, I would recommend getting this from www.angelsplus.com. They have a hard netting that works better than most bbs nets.

Willie

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you for taking the time to answer again Willie!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast