AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Skylar's Grow Out Challenge Thread

Registered Member

Default Skylar's Grow Out Challenge Thread

Again, Thanks Al! As said by many of the other challengers for this contest! This is a really awesome opportunity to be apart of and i cannot express how grateful i am to be apart of it!

To start off ill provide some back ground information about myself. My name is Skylar Pool, I joined the Simply Discus community last year around august in attempt to expand my knowledge on the Beautiful fish the discus! I had gotten really involved with the you-tuber King of DIY, Joey. This is where i discovered Simply discus through a convention that Al spoke at and Joey recorded the session. I believe i watched that Video 4 or 5 times just to make sure i didn't miss anything to important. A few months later I received my first batch of juvies. In attempt to put to use all of the knowledge i had learned from the forum and session posted by joey! I still have the batch today, they should have just turned a year old. Its been a great time learning the hobby and still working on improving to become a better owner of the infamous discus!

But, thats enough about me! I have the 10 gallon tank set up and ready for the discus! currently don't have pictures uploaded to computer to post but most definitely post them when i do! I plan on doing 1 large water change a day close to 90% and if i get a chance and have time i will most likely do another one. As of right now i have no set regimen just gonna start will Al has supplied and go from there. And of course i will update that as we progress in the challenge.

Along with the weekly updates to this thread I am going to try and do monthly videos on youtube of the growth of the discus and then try to incorporate a time lapse of the growth of the discus from start to finish of daily pictures of them!

Registered Member

Default Re: Skylar`s Grow Out Challenge Thread

So USPS has sent me an update but all the update said was it was still in transit. It says the arrival date is today but when I try to track the package it is not at my local post office or anything like that so hopefully I will get lucky and they will just arrive randomly or early tomorrow morning! still being hopeful! I was able to upload some picture of my tank and my water ageing bin. so here is what we are working with!

3679A6FD-3F57-436E-9604-3361245E373B.jpg

This is the 10 gallon I have set up I used a cheap foam board from Walmart and surrounded the tank and all the essentials for the fish when they arrive.

1F5B7036-0216-4152-A500-285EF3C801EA.jpg

Here is my ageing bin. Got some make shift support on there just to ease the mind a little. I first set this up a year ago when I got my first juvies so I would say its holding up good even if its not needed!

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_skylar View Post
    So USPS has sent me an update but all the update said was it was still in transit. It says the arrival date is today but when I try to track the package it is not at my local post office or anything like that so hopefully I will get lucky and they will just arrive randomly or early tomorrow morning! still being hopeful! I was able to upload some picture of my tank and my water ageing bin. so here is what we are working with!

3679A6FD-3F57-436E-9604-3361245E373B.jpg

This is the 10 gallon I have set up I used a cheap foam board from Walmart and surrounded the tank and all the essentials for the fish when they arrive.

1F5B7036-0216-4152-A500-285EF3C801EA.jpg

Here is my ageing bin. Got some make shift support on there just to ease the mind a little. I first set this up a year ago when I got my first juvies so I would say its holding up good even if its not needed!
    Got to love rachett straps amd scrap lumber. ! Nice DIY! I have used similar LOL

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Filip

Welcome to the forum annd to this contest Skylar .
    I wish you the best on your upcoming journey .
    I would like to see your current discus tank and discus . If there is a thread on that tank somewhere on the forum , please link it here . IF you haven't presented your tank yet here on simply , please do so in our discus journal section.
    We enjoy sharing photos and knowledge about our hobby and I would love to see some of your discus photos .

Registered Member

Got the update that the fish had arrived at the local post office so I got ready and met them there as soon as they opened and picked them up!

491563C0-D687-44DD-95EE-30CE85AD60F0.jpg

They were my shotgun riders

The box was in fairly good condition a little damp from one bag that had been leaking in the box. unfortunately when I opened the box up that bag was almost completely drained. the little guy was still alive which is good but right now he is just kinda floating at the top of the tank. hopefully he will get some life back into him. Other than him I got 9 good looking fry!

22CD12B6-F639-45FC-B760-8D11AE61C4EA.jpg

I just acclimated them to the water for about 15 minutes or so and then drained the water into a bucket and netted them into the tank they all seem to be doing well they are currently swimming around pecking at some pellets I dropped in that al shipped with the fish.

83C813F0-9D15-4967-9984-85B24A10DA02.jpg

This is from when they first was put into the tank they huddled up in the back corner but were looking good!

I had written this up a couple minutes ago and i thought I posted the reply but not entirely sure so if this is posted 2 times I apologize LOL

Real Name
    Bill

Awesome! Great news. Have fun with them!

Registered Member

With the little guy that was kinda hanging out around the top and his bag was dry on arrival. I noticed it was hard for him to gather his self with the bubbles causing a disturbance to the surface of the water and he was struggling even more so I grabbed a small piece of Tupperware and took some tank water and placed him in it to allow him to gather himself he seems to be getting a little bit more lively! so hopefully he will make it.

F91E0735-E626-45E4-86BC-71938B8FF0C9.jpg

C9EC1158-32EE-453B-AD4F-02A342627E1C.jpg

not positive this will help but we can always hope for the best!

Awesome news Skylar!Glad they got there finally. Hopefully the little guy makes it.

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Jody M.

Did he make it?
    No you don't throw them...

Jody-

If he does live it will be because Slylar had done everything possible to give it the best chance to live.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member

When I left for work about 2 hours ago he was looking prettty lively and I put him in the tank with the others and he swam down and grouped up with them so hopefully he is doing okay! I’ll give another update once I get home!

Real Name
    Bill

Sweet! Honestly I'm feeling better about keeping the ones I've gotten after reading everyone else's thread, especially with people successfully acclimating their fish tonight. They're tough! Sounds like you nursed him along great--congrats! Hope and trust it keeps trending that way.

Real Name
    Filip

Great job Skylar . Honestly I didn't expect that the floating discus would make it through .

Registered Member

Good news. Little guy is doing great! Performed a 75 percent water change last night before bed and just fed them about 10 minutes ago! Will post some picture later!

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Excellent work so far, wishing you all the best for the contest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast