AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Skylar's Grow Out Challenge Thread

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Skylar`s Grow Out Challenge Thread

Great work Skylar!! Nice comeback from a challenging start...you're in the running girl!!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Glad the little one made it! Call him scrappy or something similar

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Glad the little one made it! Call him scrappy or something similar
    Haven't really thought about naming any of them! but yeah scrappy would be a good name for the little guy!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_skylar View Post
    Haven't really thought about naming any of them! but yeah scrappy would be a good name for the little guy!
    Lol. I've actually never named any of my fish but my kids sure did. Spotty (for one of my 14bar SS) was amongst my favorite

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Patty

Wow Skylar, I’m really impressed that you were able to save that fish. You gave it just what it needed. I’m learning so much here. Good thread.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

So happy you were able to save the little guy, great thinking on your part Skylar! Well done
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

So officially a week into the contest and everything is going well so far! I don't want to jinx my self so I will knock on some wood! lol!

I have been performing about 70% water changes 2 times a day. no set schedule on that just maybe sometime mid morning and then late in the evening. As of the moment I am feeding the food Al supplied for us along with some freeze dried brine shrimp. ill crumble up the dried brine shrimp the best I can and let it soak in a container for about 10 minutes or until it looks pretty well saturated. then I am using Pats method with the syringe for inserting the food into the tank. I plan on adding to the variety soon. Going to get some freeze dried black worms most likely and maybe something else just to add some variety within the diet!

Definitely not great quality pictures but still kinda cool. these are just taking with my iPhone 6 so the quality isn't to awful but could always be better!
    tried to do some up close shots haha. here's just a photo of the fellas hanging out together

E203CF2F-A3D0-4C8A-B6A6-A5EBDE379B16.jpg

Update: uploaded the up close pics but quality was very poor and distorted maybe next time ill try a different method of uploading or taking the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Pool_skylar View Post
    So officially a week into the contest and everything is going well so far! I don't want to jinx my self so I will knock on some wood! lol!

I have been performing about 70% water changes 2 times a day. no set schedule on that just maybe sometime mid morning and then late in the evening. As of the moment I am feeding the food Al supplied for us along with some freeze dried brine shrimp. ill crumble up the dried brine shrimp the best I can and let it soak in a container for about 10 minutes or until it looks pretty well saturated. then I am using Pats method with the syringe for inserting the food into the tank. I plan on adding to the variety soon. Going to get some freeze dried black worms most likely and maybe something else just to add some variety within the diet!

Definitely not great quality pictures but still kinda cool. these are just taking with my iPhone 6 so the quality isn't to awful but could always be better!
    tried to do some up close shots haha. here's just a photo of the fellas hanging out together

E203CF2F-A3D0-4C8A-B6A6-A5EBDE379B16.jpg

Update: uploaded the up close pics but quality was very poor and distorted maybe next time ill try a different method of uploading or taking the pictures
    They have nice clear eyes skylar and don't looked stressed at all. They should start coming out to greet you soon. Nice start to the contest for you.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    They have nice clear eyes skylar and don't looked stressed at all. They should start coming out to greet you soon. Nice start to the contest for you.

al
    oh yeah they have no problem at all letting me know they are ready to eat haha this was a couple minutes after a water change I think they were still hiding from the syphon at this point haha

Registered Member

snapped a few photos of them before this water change im about to do. its really hard to get a picture when they wont stay still haha

7558FEF8-AAF4-4AFC-85CF-7A080C1BDC5F.jpg

110D0721-B088-4BE3-B1D0-060ACEF29594.jpg

60FDB42C-0762-4590-BB53-C32F5F28ECE9.jpg

Real Name
    Filip

Nice close-ups Skylar . Your babies look happy and healthy .

Registered Member

Sorry for the delay on updates! It’s been a busy week for me!

So unfortunately I hate to say that I lost two fish on Monday or Tuesday. I was rushing a water change because I was short on time which I should have never rushed well the water change went smooth. Except I forgot one thing to plug the heater back in and by the time I realized that the water had cooled off to about 72. Most of the fish were acting fine but it stressed some of them really bad. And I didn’t wanna just go ahead and do a water change and make the water jump up 10 degrees because I didn’t wanna stress then more. But I would say I got lucky only 2 died. But I plugged the heater in to let the water climb in temp back to normal and once It did I changed the water and added some salt hoping it would ease the stress. This was a big mistake on my part and I hate that it happened but diffinately learned from it.

But with that being said the 8 I have are doing great, they have great appetites and love some new water and gretting me at the front of the tank.

I’ll post some more info in the future along with pictures!

Sorry to hear about that, Skylar. If it has enough cord length, you might consider placing the heater on the bottom of the aquarium so you can keep it plugged in.

Real Name
    Bill

Sorry to hear about the losses. Don't know what I would have done if I realized they were at 72; maybe someone else with more experience will say something. Glad you caught it quickly and didn't lose any more.

As I've learned, losing them is no fun, and especially when we make mistakes, but thanks for sharing and maybe someone can learn from it. Seems like the heater issue has happened to a lot of people.

Hope you have smooth sailing from here!

Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the loss.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast