ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    They look great Bill. Glad the small number of fry does not seem to have any issues. I have noticed with wilds that if you have a large group and remove some of the fish the smaller sized group still seems stable.
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. Yours, too. Good to know that you've had that experience with your wilds in the past. I'm hoping it may remain like this; if I'm lucky I don't have a psycho "boss" like you and Adam may (or at least a fish in need of therapy .) So far there isn't much pecking order stuff going on, yet they still can rely on each other when they get nervous about whatever I'm up to.

Hard to say if the low numbers will have any effect on food consumption... maybe that will be something I can watch (and document) over time. They at least encourage each other, and nobody is getting shut out. So far it seems pretty good. Looking forward to seeing continued growth, along with some color and shape!

Real Name
    Bill

One interesting thing to emerge so far for me Willie just mentioned in his thread: Bryan has managed to get uniform growth from his, something that seems ideal but does not seem to have been realized elsewhere. I'm really curious about that. There definitely was a difference in sizes among the fish we all got, yet he was able to close that gap. If I remember he may have attributed that to heavy BBS feeding early, combined with water changes, and continuous lighting. Anyway, some more conversation about that may ensue in their threads, but there may be something to learn here.

In my case I'll note that my BBS hatchery doesn't produce really large quantities, and unless I added a second one it's hard to have a consistent supply all the time, so that has always been one food source among several for me. Of the things I'm offering them now I'd say the FDBW are #1 on their list. Would love to see if the smaller fish can do some catching up as the growth continues, but not sure how to make that happen, if it is still possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    One interesting thing to emerge so far for me Willie just mentioned in his thread: Bryan has managed to get uniform growth from his, something that seems ideal but does not seem to have been realized elsewhere. I'm really curious about that. There definitely was a difference in sizes among the fish we all got, yet he was able to close that gap. If I remember he may have attributed that to heavy BBS feeding early, combined with water changes, and continuous lighting. Anyway, some more conversation about that may ensue in their threads, but there may be something to learn here.

In my case I'll note that my BBS hatchery doesn't produce really large quantities, and unless I added a second one it's hard to have a consistent supply all the time, so that has always been one food source among several for me. Of the things I'm offering them now I'd say the FDBW are #1 on their list. Would love to see if the smaller fish can do some catching up as the growth continues, but not sure how to make that happen, if it is still possible.
    Your group seems to be doing just fine

Real Name
    Willie

I recommend you wean them from BBS. It's an okay food, particularly to get stressed fish (from shipping) eating again. But in my experience, BBS do not put on size like more solid foods. Of course, I'm partial to beef heart.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by warblad79 View Post
    Your group seems to be doing just fine
    Thanks, Bryan! Appreciate it coming from you; when I have time to think about doing anything differently I'm paying attention to what you have going on! (Was looking at those Tropical baby granules this morning, and love the Altum Floras you're working on.)

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    I recommend you wean them from BBS. It's an okay food, particularly to get stressed fish (from shipping) eating again. But in my experience, BBS do not put on size like more solid foods. Of course, I'm partial to beef heart.
    Willie
    Thanks, Willie. Learning a lot from your thread, too. I've noticed the largest fish isn't as into hunting the BBS down anymore, so recently I've just kind of hoped that if I got them early (with newish yolk sacs) then maybe they would help the smaller ones bulk up a bit in comparison. I think it might have helped, but now that they've grown I'm inclined to take your advice. (I also made a mental note to check out Dan's site for frozen beefheart to see what that option looks like. I have a seafood mix in the freezer but it was my first effort and while my larger discus like it, it's both messy and too chunky, and I've yet to ask my local meat dept. about special order beefheart... All seems a bit much with what I have going on right now.) I tried Ken's beefheart flakes once a couple years ago but my fish didn't go for them, despite the fact that his other flakes are good and my discus eat them. I never searched around for another supplier after that. For now thinking that they'll get their vitamins and such from Al's pellets plus the Brine Shrimp Direct flakes (admittedly lower in protein) and, unless I order something to add to the mix, it looks like they're going to chow on some FDBW. Just started experimenting to see what they could really do with them today, and they're tearing it up. We'll see if I can afford to keep them on those!

This is the second half of a cube, only about 4-5 hours after I put the first one in...

You try should Dan's premium beefheart mixed flakes combine with Tropical baby discus granules and Al's Discus chow 0.8mm. I'm sure you will get better results in no time. Just feed them 4x a day and twice WC.

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks for the suggestion. I did check those out online and thought about making a purchase... ended up noticing he had a couple of different beefheart products, with different protein amounts, plus one with pro-growth added... In the end I decided not to order more food, as I have some good quality flake with 50% protein that the discus readily accept. (I bought it in part because Eric at Carolina Discus once recommended it on a flake thread, after they had tested lots of other options. I've made the mistake plenty of times of buying too much food and letting it get stale, so I'm going to stick with what I've got for now.

I did discontinue the BBS with no problems and they are now getting flake a couple of times a day, Al's pellets for breakfast, and FDBW at least once, usually at night.

Their water change came late tonight, and they were excited about seeing the worms again... couldn't resist a quick video, exactly 4 weeks since I received the fish!

It doesn't take them long to make short work of them...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

That's cool Bill and no one hogs the cube.

I placed a 1/4 cube on the glass and the larger fry pushed the smaller ones away. Tried it with three 1/4 cubes stuck to the glass with same result. So I am still grinding the cubes into smaller pieces, soak it in warm water and use a syringe to place it in different parts of the tank and everyone eats.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill

Well, the process continues and seems like (touch wood) we're in a good stretch right now. To be honest the most daunting issue may be trying to prep the move of my other discus from the 40 breeder they're in to my living room tank so that I can free that tank up for these guys. (Or else my living room tank becomes from L144 BN pleco tank until I can get everything in place, and their 40 gallon tank opens up...) First need to re-home a group of Africans (redfin borleyi)... Anyway, having the smaller group is buying me more time, which is welcome.

Meanwhile, my group of four are coming along, and they're good company, too, both for me and for each other. Did a thorough cleaning today and decided it was time to try to gauge their size a little, so here is a water change pic, followed by some before and after they stuff themselves with blackworms.

1-2018-10-27 20.53.50 HDR.jpg
    2-2018-10-27 20.53.57 HDR.jpg
    3-2018-10-27 21.00.38.jpg

That feels better... let's eat!
    4-2018-10-27 21.05.33.jpg
    5-2018-10-27 21.05.00.jpg
    6-2018-10-27 21.04.45.jpg

We're stuffed...
    7-2018-10-27 21.32.20.jpg
    ...for the next couple of hours...

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

fat happy lil bellies!! lookin great mate!

Real Name
    Bill

Thanks! I'm more than happy to see them coming along.

Registered Member

Lookin' good!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

They look great Bill and so happy the smaller group is not an issue
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BigBlock View Post
    Lookin' good!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    They look great Bill and so happy the smaller group is not an issue
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. Me, too! I feared the worst when I dropped below 5-6, and given I'm a novice at this and couldn't really explain with confidence what happened a couple of weeks ago when I lost most of them, I wasn't too optimistic about staying in the game. At this point I'm thrilled.

Of course it's fun to see what is happening as far as size, shape, and color is concerned with these guys, but I'm not going to worry too much if my fish are a bit behind folks like Bryan, you, or anyone else, so long as the growth rate ensures they're progressing pretty well and not getting stunted. Hopefully the genetics will ensure good results so long as I stay consistent, and like you, I'll be paying attention to what others are up to. (Still thinking about the beefheart myself, but would also like to imagine it isn't absolutely necessary.)

Looks like they're growing very evenly despite the losses. Great job.

If you'd like, you can remove the extra media on top of your sponge. It should be seeded enough and ready to go.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast