AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Real Name
    Bill

Default Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Hey everyone and welcome. My name is Bill. Disclaimer: I like to write. Language is fun for me. You've been warned! I promise to use plenty of photos and to do my best to break things down into digestible parts. Wouldn't want any of my readers to get bloat!

Taking my cue from Al, you're going to get something philosophical (to cover up for my utter lack of a credible "discus-raising philosophy"), a little intro about me, and a plea for help that will basically represent my most promising plan for success. Hope you like. (Or, feel free to move on to pics below! Fish are en route at this very moment!)
    Last edited by Tshethar; 09-26-2018 at 01:52 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Tshethar (pron. "tsay tar") means freeing or releasing life in Tibetan, and refers to a cultural practice of saving the life of animals that were destined to be killed by others.
    I thought of this when I needed a screen name because fish caught in lakes and rivers and brought to the market were one of the animals traditionally released in this way. (People would buy them and give them their lives back where they had come from, at least ideally.) For my purposes, it captured something of an ethos I was exposed to as a college student in India and Nepal, which has to do with ahimsa (non-harming/non-injury/non-violence) and the notion that like us, other living, sentient beings want happiness and don't want suffering, and on that basis deserve our care and compassion.

So, there's some philosophy for you...

Real Name
    Bill

I became a hobbyist right after that time for two reasons: 1) I went out one day with my big sister to get some fish after her husband bought and set up a yard sale aquarium, was alarmed when I found them struggling and dying the next day, and felt compelled to figure out why and to do something about it; and 2) I really needed something to throw myself into as I went through the cultural re-assimilation process! By the end of the summer I had a job at the aquarium store, and by the end of my senior year I had three tanks in my dorm room (55/40L/20H).

Fast forward almost 30 years and I'm still keeping fish, and have done so mostly for its therapeutic value and because I like having aquatic "friends" around. I try hard to do right by them but admit that it can be hard to do so consistently, or sometimes to figure out what that would mean. (BTW, I’m pleased to say I have never tried any direct discus rescues from the LFS!) I do currently have a bad case of MTS, and with no fishroom, either. (It’s up to 8 now…)

Real Name
    Bill

I started with discus 2 years ago, but had a bad experience despite my best efforts, and lost the whole batch one-by-one. Now I’m back and working with a group of seven F1 Alenquer (between 4-5”), and hoping for better results. Learning as I go there, about a month and a half in.

All this is to say that I’ve got some philosophy, and I’ve got some life experience, but when it comes to discus-raising philosophy or experience, I’m pretty thin. So I’m going to have to compensate…

Real Name
    Bill

I think my plan for now is to steal good ideas and practices from my fellow competitors, while trying to fill the role of the likable underdog you want to route for and help out along the way. (Well, that and 2 x 75% water changes if I can pull it off!) Anyway, stay tuned for some crowdsourcing opportunities as we go, all of you who wish you were here, or those who just want to lend a hand and/or stave off disaster.

So, welcome, thanks for reading and on with the photos!!!

Real Name
    Bill

So, here's the tank ready to go... painted back and bottom, insulated on three sides with Reflectix, 75watt Eheim heater on an Inkbird controller, got a Poret small cubefilter in the mail today...

2018-09-25 16.43.17.jpg

You'll notice the aging barrel to the right, along with the drain... (you know, that thing the sunlight is coming in through). (Remember, no fishroom!)
    Last edited by Tshethar; 09-26-2018 at 01:56 AM.

Real Name
    Bill

And here is something I'm using between my bathroom faucet and the barrel...

2018-09-25 16.42.11.jpg

My tap water would seem to have very good parameters in general. I checked in the last couple of weeks and found my pH was at 6.4-6.6 with no swing after 24 hours, KH at 3 degrees, and TDS was around 50ish if I remember correctly.

Still, discus have not always seemed happy with big water changes in the past, even with temp matched and aged water, so I added what you see above. (5 micron sediment filter and carbon block.)

I can't say for sure what effect this is having, but if nothing else gives me some peace of mind, and the fish I have are reacting well to large changes now. And with the amount of water I hope to move through this barrel (which serves my 40 breeder with other discus), I'll be using this to "speed age" as we go.

Alright--let the countdown to splashdown begin!
    Last edited by Tshethar; 09-26-2018 at 01:57 AM.

Registered Member

Good luck!

Real Name
    Patty

Good luck Bill!
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by 2ljd View Post
    Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Good luck Bill!
    Thank you both!

As people reading along from the main thread right now already know, the challengers are already facing their first potential hurdle, which hopefully turns out to be a minor one and not a disaster: the discus are two days into the USPS mail system, but no one knows exactly where. If we're lucky most or all of us will receive them tomorrow morning (day 3 of shipping), which should be fine. Worst case scenario is they're still on a pallet somewhere in Springfield, MA, and Al will have to figure out if there's anything he can do. As of now the "tracking" information basically doesn't exist, so we don't know what to expect. Not a lot of fun right now for anyone but we're all hoping for the best.

In general, I've typically been a float, net and dump person when receiving fish, but if these guys arrive in an especially fragile state I may detox with Safe and drip them. Sure hoping I'll see them tomorrow, and we'll try to get a sense for how best to relieve whatever stress they may be showing when they make it in. Fingers crossed for everybody.

Real Name
    Bill

Fish are here!!!!

2018-09-27 11.33.44.jpg

Thanks for everything, Al. I can only imagine what the last day has been like after all the work you've put into these guys, with the packing job one small slice.

Floating them, temp at 83-84.

2018-09-27 11.41.48.jpg

Looking good in the bags...

2018-09-27 11.50.36.jpg

Decided to go with net and dump... only so much time at home today, and they look ready to go.

2018-09-27 12.00.19.jpg

One fish headed to the top corner, but everybody else is out and about from the get-go...

2018-09-27 12.07.58.jpg

And thanks for the sponge. Stacked it and will hope for the best there.

Leaving them for the rest of the day and will see what they look like in a few hours.

Bill glad as all heck they got there. I see the fins on one looks a tad clapped.. I would suggest salt at 1-2 tablespoons here as I did with Pats.

al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Woot Bill, good to hear they arrived ok
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by brewmaster15 View Post
    Bill glad as all heck they got there. I see the fins on one looks a tad clapped.. I would suggest salt at 1-2 tablespoons here as I did with Pats.
    al
    Thanks, Al. Keep the suggestions coming. I actually saw that piece of advice to Pat on her thread before I had to run out and come back over to my office, so I literally ran back to the tank and dropped in a tablespoon before I had to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Woot Bill, good to hear they arrived ok
    Pat
    Thanks, Pat. I'm hoping we're not the outliers and that we'll hear some more good news from others soon.

Look forward to checking them out shortly and seeing if and when they're interested in food. Best of luck to you and everyone else!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Me too Bill, I want everyone to receive their fish in good condition so the fun can begin. Mine are showing an interest in food I believe.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast