AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Bill's Grow Out Challenge Thread 2018

Bill, do you have a filter sock or large piece of foam? I would suggest a regular sock but could have soap residue.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Bill, do you have a filter sock or large piece of foam? I would suggest a regular sock but could have soap residue.
    Pat
    Yeah, come to think of it I actually have three filter socks I bought two years ago from a bio-diesel place, I think it was, and they're sitting in a box of fish supplies. I was on top of some old threads on eliminating microbubbles at the time--thinking that and/or some critters from the tap was what was bothering my fish--and I used these hanging from a shower head above my aging barrel in my last "fish room" that was really a bathroom. They were set up to get progressively smaller, maybe even down to 1 micron or something. I could use those inside the colender... For now, though, it's not like it's a terrible thing to try waiting on the tiny pump. (Obviously it's a terrible burden to me to have to spend extra time on these fish! ) So I think I'll try that tonight and see what happens. (And my pump is similar in size to yours--might as well be a fire hose.)

Real Name
    Pat

You might just try placing the end of the hose right in the filter sock.
    Pat

Real Name
    Bill

Yeah, you're right that may be enough. I'm sure to continue experimenting and tweaking the systems.

Right now the novelty factor is off the charts with these setups, but I'm sure as we go we'll appreciate whatever little things we can come up with to make the maintenance easier.

Obviously these little guys are super resilient given their experiences with the USPS, so I'm not too worried about them, but for this first week I'm hoping to err on the side of caution with my WCs. Hope yours do well tonight in your absence! (I'm sure they will.)

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Glad they got there, wishing you all the best for the contest, I always root for the underdog! Bet breeders are green with envy at your tapwater.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sabucchi View Post
    Glad they got there, wishing you all the best for the contest, I always root for the underdog! Bet breeders are green with envy at your tapwater.
    Thanks, Paul! And you're right about my tap water, at least by the measures we usually use. Checked it today with the TDS meter:

2018-09-29 18.24.08.jpg

If anything, I could imagine having to worry that there were enough minerals in the water for fry development; here's hoping the food will address that for these guys! Hard to imagine taking on breeding given how much work I am already doing with my fish hobby right now, but never say never, right? This is good practice at least for one piece of it.

Real Name
    Bill

Well, today has been quite the day for the contest tank. I think I'm going to take things out of order to save the serious drama for the end... let's just say for now that I'm glad I still have all my fish....

Real Name
    Bill

Here's the pedestrian part... This question came up on the main contest thread:

Quote Originally Posted by JamesW View Post
    For fry grow outs does anyone use repashy food? Its a gel based food that doesn't break down when it is exposed to water. Does anyone has experience with using it for fry grazing during the day between more concentrated feedings? Would anyone be willing to try it with this group of grow outs?
    As I mentioned, I have some of this, so thought I'd break it out. I got some after seeing Rachel O'Leary recommend it on Youtube and also noticed Stephan Tanner (Swiss Tropicals) selling it as well... Here are the two I got, for people who haven't seen this product.

2018-09-29 18.07.15.jpg

I got the silicone mini-ice trays to make cubes, and so I'd have something besides plastic bags for the stuff to cool in... (you mix the powder with hot water and let it set up). I then freeze it and take out what I need. Here's the ingredients for the "Community Plus," which I decided to try out on the discus.

2018-09-29 18.07.38.jpg

I wasn't sure what to expect as my larger discus haven't seemed to like the texture much. Happily, the little guys liked it pretty well.

Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-30-2018 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Recovered pictures

Real Name
    Bill

What I thought was going to be an ordinary part of the day was my first water change.... Had some discussion above about how to refill without bothering the fish too much, so thought I'd show people how I'm refilling. (I tried the tiny pump I had in my barrel, but it didn't have the power to lift the water high enough... so... back to the colander!)

Real Name
    Bill

Alright, so now for the real news: Just before I refilled that tank, I had a frantic search. 1...2...3...4...5...6...7... wait... how many fish are there? Count again.... *&^%, I'm only seeing 9.

Did I really see something in the siphon tube for that split second? *&^% it wasn't an air bubble was it?

Okay, there really are only 9 fish. Do people remember what I use for my drain?!?

Okay, look out the window? See anything? No.

Run outside.

2018-09-29 13.03.56-1.jpg

I can't find anything!

Where's the water going? Should be away from the house...

...unless the hose was curled toward the brick... quick, check under the weed barrier in a low spot near the window...

2018-09-29 13.04.13.jpg

THERE HE IS!!!

Got 'em! Run!

Back in the tank, get the dirt off 'em, siphon it out, finish water change. He lives!!!

2018-09-29 13.34.35.jpg
    2018-09-29 13.34.44.jpg

I think he deserves a name after this (Houdini?) but I'm already not sure I can tell him apart from the others. (He was back to eating the Rapashy later in the day above...)

Whew! A close shave!

Won't be taking my eyes off my 1/2" hose I guess...
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-30-2018 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Recovered pictures

Real Name
    Filip

Thanks God you've taken that last count Bill .

Real Name
    Pat

So glad you found him Bill and he is ok,.quite scary. You can drain your 1/2 hose into an outside bucket in case this happens again. I also like the colander idea. Might need to try that for myself
    Pat
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 09-30-2018 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling

Seems to be working really well. Certainly saves on time when you can use a big pump.

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    So glad you found him Bill and he is ok,.quite scary. You can drain your 1/2 hose into an outside bucket in case this happens again. I also like the colander idea. Might need to try that for myself
    Pat
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam S View Post
    Seems to be working really well. Certainly saves on time when you can use a big pump.
    Yes on the colander... Seems like they can easily get out of the "rain" to the other side of the tank if it's too much for them.

That's a good idea, Pat, on the bucket outside, though I tried to keep the hose length short enough to easily maneuver, which might make it hard to "aim"... Either way I may need to be a little more careful about my discharge as it's not moving away from the house as nicely as I thought it would--fortunately in this case! (I'll definitely be more careful about what I'm draining!)

(By the way, for some reason my photos aren't showing today after doing so last night... not sure if an Admin can fix that or not. Thx!)

Real Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    Thanks God you've taken that last count Bill .
    Amen Filip... It was frantic counting to be sure, as I didn't want to believe it. Had the water down to about an inch and was looking from all directions; must have done it 5-6 times at least before I realized I just was not going to get to 10!

I don't like carrying buckets if I can help it, but I sure almost paid for it!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast