ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian's 2018 grow out challenge...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Brian's 2018 grow out challenge...

Brian, Al will laugh at this suggestion but add a wee bit of rooibos (or black) tea to the water. My guys were like that at first and the tea seemed to help with the transition to having the light on.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Brian, Al will laugh at this suggestion but add a wee bit of rooibos (or black) tea to the water. My guys were like that at first and the tea seemed to help with the transition to having the light on.
    Pat
    Well, I may laugh a little as well, but if it works it works! Where do you find this? It is just tea you find in the grocery store?

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Well, I may laugh a little as well, but if it works it works! Where do you find this? It is just tea you find in the grocery store?
    I would think so Brian, I order mine from Amazon.
    Pat

Real Name
    Frank

Don't know about the brightness of the light but I put a dimmer on mine. I run it about 70-80% brightness. The fish do better at that lumen.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Did I read it right that you are doing 2-3 WCs daily? If so, are you feeding bh? This may be some of the cause of stress for them. I would do a larger daily wc instead add the tea, it won't hurt.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    Don't know about the brightness of the light but I put a dimmer on mine. I run it about 70-80% brightness. The fish do better at that lumen.
    Another way to help dim the light is to put a folded window screen under the light. The number of folds allow you to increase or decrease the light.
    Pat

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Did I read it right that you are doing 2-3 WCs daily? If so, are you feeding bh? This may be some of the cause of stress for them. I would do a larger daily wc instead add the tea, it won't hurt.
    Actually, I was at 1 x 50% then bumped to 2 x 50% with no change. I was considering going to 3 if needed. I am feeding the food Al sent with them, Colorbits and just a tiny amount of BH from time to time while I'm feeding my other fish. The BH maybe once per day but the amount is insignificant at best.

So you are thinking 1 large WC instead of 2 smaller? Seems like a good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by fljones3 View Post
    I wasn't clear earlier about the light. I've been leaving a 60w bedroom light on and turning the tank light off. It seems the indirect light is not as intimidating for them.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Actually, I was at 1 x 50% then bumped to 2 x 50% with no change. I was considering going to 3 if needed. I am feeding the food Al sent with them, Colorbits and just a tiny amount of BH from time to time while I'm feeding my other fish. The BH maybe once per day but the amount is insignificant at best.

So you are thinking 1 large WC instead of 2 smaller? Seems like a good idea!

I wasn't clear earlier about the light. I've been leaving a 60w bedroom light on and turning the tank light off. It seems the indirect light is not as intimidating for them.
    1 big wc should be fine I think. That's how I do it but I do take in to consideration that you have them in a relatively small tank. As Pat says, your discus are talking to you, are you listening? Lol. Adjust the wc's and possibly the light and play it by ear and observe

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Patty

Brian
    I’m learning so much from you. I know you’ll get through these hurdles and just want to thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations for us wannabe baby raisers. The parents of these fry are so perfect. I like your wc pictures and am excited to see what you do with these babies.
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Brian

Yes, I used to speak discus years ago but I need to polish up on the language

Through all this, they do still seem to be eating. Right now they are pecking at the sponge filter.. The back side of the sponge filter, lol...

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Brian
    I’m learning so much from you. I know you’ll get through these hurdles and just want to thank you for sharing your trials and tribulations for us wannabe baby raisers. The parents of these fry are so perfect. I like your wc pictures and am excited to see what you do with these babies.
    Thanks Patty. I have said many times that I used to be into this hobby to the extreme. But, I am almost embarrassed to say that I have forgotten many of the smaller details, but this challenge is about educating others and learning from our mistakes and successes. Anyone can raise medium to large discus, but fry are different. I feel like I am learning from the beginning all over again...

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Pat
    Al smirks.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Brian,
    You can also get a piece of foam and use as a divider... Place the fish on one side.. filter on the other.. force the fish to be out and about. When you water change drain from the filter side... fill on the fish side. In a 10 gal tank you could probably find something easily to divide the tank like poly matting.

That black foam I sent you as filter material comes in various sizes on ebay for only a few bucks also.

al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 10-03-2018 at 04:53 PM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

I may have turned the corner. I've been busy so haven't really had time to pay close attention to these discus. I moved the filter to the front of the tank and they followed, staying under it. Then I noticed they were pecking at everything, including the filter base and even the heater cord. I found some of Al's discus chow from a few months ago and ground it up and dropped it straight down on it and they attacked it! Then I noticed they stop eating about 5 minutes after the food was in the water. I think they have been eating all along
    challenge 7.jpg

Real Name
    Pat

Oh man, what a great feeling that is Brian
    Pat

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast