ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Brian's 2018 grow out challenge...

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: Brian's 2018 grow out challenge...

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    They look nice and round Brian .
    Isn't this magnum filter too much of a flow for that tank ?
    On the video it looks like it's pushing some serious water volume .
    You would think it is too much because discus keepers always talk about calm water, but it doesn't bother them at all. They actually seem to enjoy it. It's not on 24/7, just periodically throughout the day.

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    You would think it is too much because discus keepers always talk about calm water, but it doesn't bother them at all. They actually seem to enjoy it. It's not on 24/7, just periodically throughout the day.
    That kind of makes me question Brian . Letting dirty filter , without any flow leads to anaerobic bacteria buildup which later you release it back in to the tank .
    It kind of makes me question about the safety of using filters sparsely.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Filip View Post
    That kind of makes me question Brian . Letting dirty filter , without any flow leads to anaerobic bacteria buildup which later you release it back in to the tank .
    It kind of makes me question about the safety of using filters sparsely.
    I rotate the filter between another tank so it really doesn't sit long enough for the collected matter to deteriorate and become toxic. And, i know the other tank I use it on has no chance of harming these little ones because because I took a chance early on and used one of their sponge filters a the main sponge for these. I've used the HOT for years when I used to breed discus in the past and I think it does a better job at removing debris between water changes than water changes alone, but I also don't have room to store large amounts of water for aging.

As an example, a couple of weeks ago I was cleaning the outside glass with some toilet paper. I got distracted and dropped the toilet paper into the tank. Paper fibers filled the tank immediately so I did a 90% water change (smaller tank at the time) and the tank was still filled with fibers. 2 more 90% changes and the fibers were still visible. I hooked up the HOT and the fibers were gone in less than 3 minutes.

Real Name
    Filip

That makes sense now Brian. Thanks for clarifying that .
    I'm sure it works like charm as a mechanical filter with that flow and fine mesh Chambers .

Real Name
    Brian

It's been a rough week for me. Many of the fish in several tanks have been turning dark and a few stopped eating. I figured the change in seasons has affected my water, but even reduced (but more frequent) water changes didn't help. On Sunday, I lost an Eruption, another is sick and I also lost one of the challenge discus. Same symptoms and same outcome, and absolutely zero chance of cross contamination...

I rearranged some of my remodeling space and cleaned up my storage barrels that have been sitting in my back yard for 10 years and set them up for more volume of aging water.

I've been tracing back to try to figure what was in common, and looking back it may have come to one change I made. I ran out of Prime! I had recently purchased a new heater, and it included a coupon for Top Fin water conditioner, so I decided to give it a try. I don't know if this was the issue, but the timing was close. I had noticed that the Top Fin brand was is bit slimy and the eye dropper I use to measure it was sticking to the paper it was sitting on while not in use. Tonight, while I was cleaning the tank,I saw large amounts of slime that had built up on all the tank walls and bottom. It was coming off in large chunks. I'm wondering if this is the residue from the Top Fin conditioner???

Anyway, I've only refilled the tank 1/2 way to make sure the new storage system is safe, and so far they seem just fine. I hope this is the answer to my problems of the last week or so...

The other 8 never seemed to be affected and are doing great!!

challenge 30.jpg
    Last edited by jeep; 11-26-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Sorry for the losses Brian but hope you are on top of this now. The fish look great and are getting big.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Brian

I hope so too. It's hard to believe that a chloramines remover could actually do harm. But then again, I'm not sure if it was the issue. It's just a big coincidence in timing...

Real Name
    Brian

Well, first two water changes in using Prime, and everything seems back to normal.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Eric

Glad theyre back - looking to be really good size!

Real Name
    Pat

They look great Brian , sure are getting big
    Pat

Real Name
    Patty

Sorry you lost your eruption and challenge discus. Did the other one bounce back?
    Glad you were able to change things up before you suffered more losses. Your challenge fish are bigger every week!
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the Top Fin. I don’t know anything about the company, but it seems unlikely that a recall would be issued for any fish product. At least I’ve never heard of any and changes in the city water doesn’t normally produce slime that I’m aware of.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Sorry you lost your eruption and challenge discus. Did the other one bounce back?
    Glad you were able to change things up before you suffered more losses. Your challenge fish are bigger every week!
    I wouldn’t be surprised if it was the Top Fin. I don’t know anything about the company, but it seems unlikely that a recall would be issued for any fish product. At least I’ve never heard of any and changes in the city water doesn’t normally produce slime that I’m aware of.
    Patty
    The Eruption is still sick but actually looking a little better, but I think it had issues in the first place that were brought out by whatever problem I was having. I have some meds arriving today and hopefully they will help. All the other discus are doing great!

I'm not sure if it was the Top Fin, but the timing sure was curious...

Real Name
    Dave

I am not a fan of Top Fin anything. Their filters and powerheads are cheaply made. The HOB filters and power heads make a whole bunch of impeller noise due to poor fitment unlike my AquaClear filters and powerheads that are very quiet.

I use power heads to power a reverse flow under-gravel filtration in a 20 gallon tank. The power head pulls water through sponge filters like you all use here and takes it through a 90 degree elbow into the stand pipe. as the water passes the venturi air is pulled into the system and the air and water are released under the filter plates, and then finally the water and small debris that made it through the foam filters returns to the main tank through the gravel.

My 75 gallon tank is filtered with a Fluval 406 Canister and an AC 110 HOB filter.

Your fish are looking great, and hope you get your problem/s sorted out.

Dave
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Brian

Well, everything seems back to normal now. It's hard to think that the Top Fin dechlor was the culprit, but I'm at a loss as to what else it could have been... All tanks are doing great, no more slime on the tank walls and all are eating good!

Since the issue, I still don't quite trust my tap water supply, so I've also increased the water change volumes by adding my old 55g storage barrels. There's a submersible pump in one of the barrels that circulates the water constantly until ready for use, and an air stone in the other. I can now change 110g of water at a time. The utility room has suffered serious water damage in the past, and I am getting ready to pull the floors and knock out a wall so I can expand the kitchen/utility room into one large kitchen/dining room/fishroom, so I'll have to move the barrels around as needed.
    water storage.jpg

Here's an example of my limited photography skills from this morning. Also, I've finally convinced them to eat foods other than beef heart mix, so when I leave on vacation in a few weeks I can use an auto feeder while I'm away...

challenge 31.jpg

challenge 32.jpg

Real Name
    Pat

Hope everything stays normal Brian. My guys will eat dry foods but reluctantly, they go nuts for Al FDBWs. What else are you feeding beside BH flake?
    Pat

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast