ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tom's (Captain Discus) Discus Grow Out entry 2018

Real Name
    Ricardo

Default Re: Tom's (Captain Discus) Discus Grow Out entry 2018

Let me know if you need help posting pics. I can guide you. Good luck with the contest

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Filip

Good luck with them Tom. Im happy and amazed they all arived alive and well . I wonder why did they have so little water in the bags , you said only 2-3 TBS of water ?
    Did the bags leak or Al put that tinny amount purposely?

We are eagerly awaiting for more photos and update about their progress .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Hello All.
    Sorry I have been awal. Been super busy this week. My fish are doing great. parameters are all still at zero, Lots of water changes eating like crazy both Al's food and brine shrimp.
    I am still trying to get my pictures to post. Ricardo or Pat I will need your help! I will reach out hopefully tonight at the plant till late but since Ricardo is on the west coast maybe check with him as there is some time difference. Most of my stuff gets done at midnight or later. Does not seem to bother the fish as lights are on timers. temperature is still at 84 dergrres f.
    Filip I think the bags leaked a little as the inside of the box was wet. Although it could have been perspiration as I know Al worked very hard to get that all done.
    What a great thing!
    My son the software designer is supposed to stop over and help with pics if I don't let him sleep. Who needs that anyway.
    Thanks for reading.
    Tom.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Tom, great to hear the fish are doing well. Be sure the pictures are 2MBs to less. If you are unable to touch base with Ricardo sent the pics to webmaster@simplydiscus.com and I will post them for you for the first time.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Good evening to any who listen.
    Still working on the picture thing. It is a shame work gets in the way of what I love. where have I heard that before!
    Pat, I think your idea of the nickel in the foreground is a great way for all of us to size without the stress of lifting these guys until nearer the end of the contest. I have pictures with the nickel but not tonight. I think that since this contest was Al's idea he should fly around to all of us to be the official tape measure guy! Thank goodness for frequent flyer miles .
    my guru is going to meet with me tonight and get my pictures posted then everyone will just give up as I received the best fry on earth.
    thank you Breweister!. parameters are all looking except for ammonia, second water change today is in order.
    Thanks for all you patience as I can be a pest.
    Tom.

Real Name
    Filip

Looking forward to see your Pics of "Al's top 10 alpha dogs" tonight Tom .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

There are pictures on the last entry. I had this great article written and wrong button pushed######.
    I will try this again. the nickel was Pat's idea love it as it sets a standard. The pecking order has begun but even the smallest guy stands his ground.
    Parameters are good except for ammonia (as expected) water changes every other day is keeping that in check.
    They eat every thing I give them, fdbw, brine shrimp, the food they came with. this weekend the beef heart mix i will make should be the test to their appetite.
    A lot to learn with taking pictures and sending them a very high bar to reach for, given what I have seen here.
    Still humbled to get a chance to show what I am capable of. will work to be more active here.
    Thank for listening.
    Tom.

Real Name
    Filip

Nice photos Tom .There is a good reason now for the guru to come visiting home more often . Tell him that visiting at least once a week to take and upload photos its a mandatory requirement
    I wonder how do you keep them well and eating at this age with ammonia presence In 0.5 -1 range ?

P.s . If you ever loose your writing screen for whatever reason (empty battery or something )there is a auto text restore feature at the bottom of the post bar. Your whole texting to the moment of shutting it down will be restored again .

Keep up the good work with your discus Tom .

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Good morning. all 10 are doing well and growing. still doing daily water changes plus a second every third day.
    My ammonia seems to creep up more frequently, going to change the foam filters one at a time to keep the beneficial bacteria alive until the new foam gets growing.
    PH at 7.6 to 7.8 aging water 24 hours with added dechlorinating solution. They are very active and still working on that pecking order even the little guy is in on the act.
    fairly small but I live in a no cull region, He deserves a chance to.
    You can see by the nickel they are getting bigger keeping my fingers crossed i don't make any drastic mistakes.
    still working on that picture thing some other things getting in the way there. will post again today.
    Tom.

Registered Member

Keep up the good work!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

As you can see they are growing since the last post.

a.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

Hello All.
    Every one is doing incredible, growing very well. The ammonia problem experiment went well back to zero.
    These guys are like my sons when you give them a bath or change the water the hide in the corners.
    Camera shy but you can see they are all still alive and healthy. I am still very humbled to be in such great company in this contest.
    Tom.10-30 a.jpg10-30.jpg

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Tom

every one is awake this morning. now eating beef heart and black worms, done with the brine shrimp. You can't see but all 10 are still doing great. all parameters are back in line.
    11-1.jpg

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast