AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In search of a soul mate frying pan...

Default In search of a soul mate frying pan...

I am desperately in need of a good non stick frying Pan to start a long term relationship with. I have tried starting relationships with many kinds of frying Pans but they always leave me feeling unfulfilled and dis-satisfied. Maybe its just me... Maybe I am unrealistic in my search for that one special frying pan that doesnt cling to my food and ruin my over easy eggs? There must be one out there for me!

I have well seasoned cast iron ones but cant use them easily on my glass top stove (a stove I royally hate btw) . Its not that I am not attached to my cast iron fry pan, its old and reliable and I hate the thought of cheating on it but my life requires something thats more accepting of my glass top stove. I realize I should just leave the stove and replace it with gas but we are stuck together for financial reasons for a while.

I have tried all kinds of frying pan dating services.. ones that specialize on non stick coating , teflon , non teflon, ceramic etc. green technologies. They work a short while or not at all. Alot of times after trying one i swear off the frying pan scene entirely !Im not sure theres any good ones out there any more.

I know this is terribly shallow of me but Few things are more frustrating than craving some nice fried eggs with unbroken yolk than winding up with scrambled eggs!

So tell me oh chefs of this awesome discus forum...Have you found the Frying Pan Love of your Life and if so does it have a sister you can introduce me to?!

I thank you and my Eggs thank you in advance,
    al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 09-28-2018 at 09:52 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Default Re: In search of a soul mate frying pan...

Tramontina 10-Inch Professional Restaurant Fry Pan

This is great, not too expensive and seems to last a long time. My wife who likes to cook eggs with the gas turned to 10 (opposed to the 2.5 that I use) manages not to have our eggs stick using this pan.
    Unfortunately, non-stick pans (except for seasoned cast iron or tinned copper) aren't a buy it for life option, especially if you use it for pan searing things at high heat.

Any non stick pan will loose it's non stickiness after a year or so even if treated gently. Never sear in it. Save it for your eggs, use the correct spatula for non stick, and wash it by hand as soon as it cools down. Sorry for the bad news.

I heard this on the Splendid Table just last Sunday.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Steve

Are the ceramic options any better than others?

I long ago fell in love with cast iron pans which one can do so many marvelous things in & with - but I have the same problem as Al with having a glass top stove - which I too hate with a passion & wish I'd gotten a gas stove as well.
    I will, one of these days & will never ever consider a glass top one again - I swear it adds more scratches to it's burners even when you just look at it.

Real Name
    Frank

I have had this for years and still works great. I think they have updated it though.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Al, I use a Green Life non stick pan, it is 4 yrs. old, used daily, and is as stick free as the day I got it. From WalMart, about $20. It is from safe products too.
    Last edited by Disgirl; 09-29-2018 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling name

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Steve

When you say glass-top, are you referring to the electric ones with the built in burners? We have a sealed gas burner glass top that we really like.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    When you say glass-top, are you referring to the electric ones with the built in burners? We have a sealed gas burner glass top that we really like.
    I believe that's what is meant by 'glass-top'.

How long have you had your sealed gas burner, Steve ?
    Is it showing any signs at all of scratching by pots & pans continually being placed on & off the burners or moved around ?

Our electric one is now 8 years old - it was fine for the first few years, but a couple of the most often used burners have been badly scratched up with use in recent years & worsening as time goes on - and there seems to be no way to clean up/remove the scratch marks.

The range overall is still in pristine 'as new' condition, save for the round 'glass' material directly above the most used burners. A real eyesore.
    And we have always been quite careful & attentive with our cleaning/maintenance, etc. of the stovetop.

Seems the only remedy is to spend a lot of unnecessary big $ buying a new stove - I guess that's manufacturers' planned obsolescence , right ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 09-29-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Real Name
    Steve

We purchased it about 5 years ago when we remodelled our kitchen. Actually, it motivated the entire remodel. We had a previous one we liked and had for many years that stopped working for some reason, can't remember exactly why. I ordered one online,maybe from Sears that was the right length for our old counter, but turned out to be too wide(front to back). We decided it was time to replace the counters anyway, and the whole project snow-balled into the complete replacement of cabinets, too. We really like our new kitchen. Very modest, but nicely updated. The stove has metal grates, so no scratches. My wife did all the back-splash tile work herself. I rented a tile saw for her and she did it all.

IMG_5823.jpg

IMG_5824.jpg

Real Name
    Ricardo

Very nice looking kitchen. My mother did a full kitchen remodel a few years back and it made the whole house feel like a new house even though only the kitchen got the upgrade lol.

Al, I can't help you in your quest but am definitely looking at suggestions. My mother in law gave us some "Royal Prestige" pans that eventually were really bad. I have my cast-irons for my steaks and care of them like extra children. Always hand dry and coat them with oil for storage. One of my friends is a professional chef and if you go in to his work kitchen, you see some of the oldest pots and pans ever. He hardly ever replaces them and it is cast-iron galore in there. Good luck in your search.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Real Name
    Matt

Go with granite frypans, they seem to last much longer and are truly non stick.

Al,

I don’t know how your soul mate search is going, but I purschased this set a couple of years ago and found it the best for my needs. I’ve had multiple brands that haven’t worked nearly as well; Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard-Anodized Nonstick Twin Pack 8-Inch and 10-Inch French Skillet. The two piece set cost less than individually priced pans.

Oh, and I also gave up on my glass cook top and am using a “portable” induction cooktop and love it.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by CraigJ View Post
    Al,

I don’t know how your soul mate search is going, but I purschased this set a couple of years ago and found it the best for my needs. I’ve had multiple brands that haven’t worked nearly as well; Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard-Anodized Nonstick Twin Pack 8-Inch and 10-Inch French Skillet. The two piece set cost less than individually priced pans.

Oh, and I also gave up on my glass cook top and am using a “portable” induction cooktop and love it.
    "Anolon Nouvelle Copper Hard-Anodized Nonstick Twin Pack 8-Inch and 10-Inch French Skillet"

Say that 3 times fast lol

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Well you know they do say you have a better chance of finding a soul mate through your circle of friends...so I will take your suggestions to heart here and maybe go on a few dates. But since you never know how dating turns out its probably best I keep my options open.So if anyone else knows of a good Frying Pan for me, please let me know.

Thanks!
    al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast