ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Finally!!

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Finally!!

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    So the weird love triangle spawned the other day and for the 1st time produced wigglers...the question is, which male, or did both males, fertilze the eggs...
    Attachment 120209
    I missed this Danny, congrats. Since you have not updated since guess the wigglers were eaten?
    Pay
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    I missed this Danny, congrats. Since you have not updated since guess the wigglers were eaten?
    Pay
    NP Pat, thank you! And yep, they were lunch, lol. The royal yellow x red melon pair have wigglers today...again...we'll see, lol

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Actually Sanjay I rarely have the lights on. The tank is in our dining room and get great ambient light from the room and window. With the vibrant discus colors and the black back ground the fish really pop. I made the mistake of turning the light on the look at the wigglers 3 spawns ago, but now I just leave it off. I guess they're just not mature enough yet.
    Do you ever have probs with mixed variant crosses not being committed to each other or their spawn/fry?
    Sorry Daniel ! I missed this.
    For mixed variant I haven't had any issues, but being pigeon based I initially had problems with the fry attaching to the parents as they can't get dark. Trick I learnt is having a blue only light making the parents look very dark and rest of the tank being blue.

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Sorry Daniel ! I missed this.
    For mixed variant I haven't had any issues, but being pigeon based I initially had problems with the fry attaching to the parents as they can't get dark. Trick I learnt is having a blue only light making the parents look very dark and rest of the tank being blue.
    NP Sanjay. Thanks for responding. They have wigglers now so I will turn on the blue lights and leave them on overnight. We'll see what happens

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by swright135 View Post
    Daniel any updates with spawning? Has any made it to free swimmers yet?
    Sorry mate, I missed this post. I had free swimmers the last spawn but they didn't attach. Have wigglers again today. Trying Sanjays suggestion with only the blue LEDs on...we'll see tomorrow I guess lol

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Shawn

No problem. Got my fingers crossed for you.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks mate but they ate the wigglers again this morning...I turned the blue light on after they hatched though...next time I will turn it on once they spawn. Should I leave it on 24/7 Sanjay?

Daniel, yes! I usually screen my eggs so they don’t freak out on the blue lights unless they get used to it. Leave it on 24/7 from the time they lay eggs. For atleast 14-20days. If you consider Day 1 as the day they laid eggs, then Day 6 or Day 7 is when they will start attaching.

There were 2 occasions I had wrigglers free swimming but not attaching to the parents. I turned the lights to blue and I can say they attached to the parents within an hour ! Both the occasions(different pairs same male).

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Sanjay. I really don't mind that much, but since this pair killed 1 of my red pandas I cannot risk removing the divider. I looks ugly. I may just sell the pair so I can improve the aesthetics of my display. The trinity breeders don't really bother the other 2, even when they had wigglers.
    Cheers mate!!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456