AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally!!

Real Name
    Filip

Default Re: Finally!!

Congratulations on your group Daniel . They look absolutely amazing even at this age and the colours you've chosen are so bright and compatible to each other , they really look nice as a group.
    Where did you get them from and how old are they right now ?

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Filip. I love the color mix as well. I bought them from an importer in Bowling Green Ohio, Dennis's Discus Fish. I was able to go to his fish room and select them right as they were done with QT after coming in from Vietnam. He buys all his fish from the 1 exclusively discus farm. Originally I planned to buy from Kenny but as my wait to sell the African cichlids drew out longer than planned I discovered Dennis only 2.5hrs drive from my house. I msg'd Kenny to let him know my change of direction, and in true Kenny form he was incredibly gracious and wished me well in my pursuit of discus.
    I am very happy with my fish and have a couple of pairs formed and spawned already, LOL. I hadn't planned on that so soon.
    All the best to you mate 🇦🇺

Real Name
    Daniel

So strangely, 2 pairs that had previously formed and spawned have switched partners. The royal yellow is now paired with the other red melon female, and the other red melon female has now spawned with 1 of the red albino's. Is that normal behavior? I don't really expect either spawn to be successful bevause there is lots of hussle and bussle still with the pecking order, so both pairs are consistently involved in that establishment. They're are however consistently fanning the eggs so we'll see what happens.
    I will try to get some update pics up sometime over the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Thank you Filip. I love the color mix as well. I bought them from an importer in Bowling Green Ohio, Dennis's Discus Fish. I was able to go to his fish room and select them right as they were done with QT after coming in from Vietnam. He buys all his fish from the 1 exclusively discus farm. Originally I planned to buy from Kenny but as my wait to sell the African cichlids drew out longer than planned I discovered Dennis only 2.5hrs drive from my house. I msg'd Kenny to let him know my change of direction, and in true Kenny form he was incredibly gracious and wished me well in my pursuit of discus.
    I am very happy with my fish and have a couple of pairs formed and spawned already, LOL. I hadn't planned on that so soon.
    All the best to you mate ����

As I mentioned previously Daniel, your discus are beautiful healthy specimens, and if I read things right, I noted from Dennis's website that his supplier is a long-time experienced Malaysian breeder/exporter who seems to also have a breeding outlet exporting out of Vietnam.

In any event, Dennis' business in Bowling Green, Ohio (pop. only 30,000 +) appears to be a fairly recent start-up ( I for one had not heard of it before now), but he certainly seems to have secured an excellent supplier - as it's fairly well-known that Malaysian discus breeders are considered, generally-speaking, to be among the upper echelon of breeders world-wide.

I feel that Dennis could benefit greatly (given his small town location) from being an SD sponsor if Al were to consider him worthy, and perhaps I'll email Dennis and suggest he consider contacting Al in this regard. If you're speaking to Dennis again soon, perhaps you might feel it appropriate to do the same.

Just a thought.

Real Name
    Daniel

G'day Paul,

I had been purposely aloof regarding where my fish came from when I started this thread, knowing that Dennis is not a SD Sponsor...as a moderator on another site, I understand the need to promote sponsors and not non-sponsor vendors, hence my aloofness...I only mentioned him when Filip specifically asked where I got my discus from.

With that being said, I do believe Dennis is aware of the existence of SD but not sure of his business plan as far as advertising/sponsorship's go. I do believe SD would be a good outlet opportunity for his stock, and the community could also benefit from his years of experience. As you mentioned, he started his business earlier in 2018 and has been a discus enthusiast and hobbyist breeder for over 16 years. I do believe his supply now is solely from a Vietnamese farm which exclusively breeds and supplies discus.

I think receiving an email from you would be great, and I will reach out to him also. Cheers mate,.

Danny

Good to hear that Danny - I did contact Dennis - so we'll see what might develop.

Real Name
    Daniel

I spoke with him today also Paul. In time we will see how it all pans out. All the best to you mate!

Real Name
    Daniel

They're looking quite spectacular, Daniel !

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Paul! Even with the lights out they are so bright and beautiful!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Sayid

congratulation Daniel on your beautiful fish ,they are spectacular ,i love their shape and colour combination, especially the yellow one , i had one which gradually changed from yellow to orange because i fed him tetra colour bits ,unfortunately we have not got discus as beautiful as yours in Melbourne so enjoy your fish ,please send us a photo of your tank.

Awesome ! Daniel. You are clearly doing great job in growing these beautiful stock.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

You must have the touch Daniel with all the activity in the tank. You going to try your hand at raising discus should you get a proven pair?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Sayid & Sanjay!
    Sayid I am exclusively feeding a home made beef heart, shrimp & fish. (Cod) mix that I bought from my discus supplier, Dennis. The hope is to keep the yellows yellow. The marlboro yellow has some red in his fins and back half of his flanks that he already had so were good so far!
    Thanks for your kind remarks Sanjay but I did kinda cheat buying 4.5-5.5" fish

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    You must have the touch Daniel with all the activity in the tank. You going to try your hand at raising discus should you get a proven pair?
    Pat
    Thanks Pat. I think I might divide off 1/4 of the tank for a pair if I see wigglers. I would love to see fry attach to the parents in person, and it would be great for my kids to see as well. At this point I do not have much room for growing out fry. Just a 10 gal & 12 gal, so we'll see as time progresses

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast