Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally!!

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Default Re: Finally!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayid View Post
    please send us a photo of your tank.
    I am no photographer Sayid, but as requested here is a full tank shot!
    20181016_114258.jpg

That is a very nice group Dan, when I'm ready I 'll try and give him a call, Thanks Jim in Ohio

Real Name
    Patty

Beautiful choices on these fish and that’s coming from someone who has a thing for the blues. Those yellows really pop! Nice bunch.
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Jim. Dennis definitely has some nice fish on offer!

Thanks Patty!! I am a blue lover as well. Dennis had some nice blue snakeskins and blue diamonds in the 4-5" range but I chose this mix cause my wife loves red and yellow and I want to keep her interest They do pop nicely against the black background.

Real Name
    Daniel

I love my 2 red albinos. Their shape is not quite as good as the red melons and the royal yellow but I love their unique color, especially the red halo! Here's a few more very average phone pics. Sadly I am no photographer, but I do like sharing pictures.
    I did a 60% water change again today, and bam, both pairs spawned again this evening. That is 4 times now in 3 weeks. Haven't seen any fertile eggs as yet. Not sure if it is a maturity thing, related to my pH, or so.e other unknown factor. In any case I am not set up to raise fry so all is well. The only issues is that the pandas get bossed around a lot...20181020_222729.jpg
    20181020_222629.jpg
    20181020_223334.jpg
    Enjoy. I sure am

Real Name
    Filip

Great colours Daniel. JUust keep on posting photos and you will improve your photo skills in time .
    Do you know your Cincinaty water TDS level ?

Real Name
    Daniel

Hi Filip. The most recent info on the TDS in the city's municipal water here in Cincinnati was from 2010. Its range was 135-250. I can find plenty of other more recent water specs, but not TDS for some reason...

Real Name
    Daniel

So the royal yellow and red melon are now a confirmed pair. There was a lot more wigglers last night, but I got this snap b4 they ate the rest this morning when the lights came on. Divider is going in today...
    20181023_074015.jpg
    20181023_061913.jpg
    In other news, when I came ho.e last night I found 1 of my red panda's dead on the bottom...after finding the wigglers i believe i now know why..a happy sad discovery to be sure...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Oh boy, sorry to hear about the panda Danny! You thinking it got too close to the wigglers? Congrats on the wigglers also...happy day
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Oh boy, sorry to hear about the panda Danny! You thinking it got too close to the wigglers? Congrats on the wigglers also...happy day
    Pat
    Thanks Pat! Definitely a sad day for the panda , and for my wife as it was her favorite fish . It's my hypothesis, that it got too close to the fry. It was dead on the bottom about 4 inches away from where the wigglers were. It didn't have any obvious damage but it was swimming around normally when I left the house at 1:30 p.m. and was dead when I came home at 8 p.m. It is the only real explanation I can come up with as everyone else is doing well. it was number 8 out of 8 in the pecking order as well, so it was already living a fairly stressed life as it was.

Hopefully the pair will do it again now that I have divided off 1/3 of the tank. I hope to be able to show my boys discus fry feeding off their parents slime coat

Have a great day Pat!

Congrats on the confirmed pair Daniel ! We both have similar strain pair now haha. Watching the parents taking care of the fry is an experience that I wish everyone should witness. Good luck after installing the divider. Keep the updates coming

Sorry to hear on the panda that you lost. Breeding can be very stressful for the pairs at times, especially in a community tank.

Real Name
    Daniel

Thank you Sanjay. I am excited they are now proven. The pair was cleaning off a new surface this evening in preparation for their next spawn. They have laid every 4 days since I received them from Dennis's Discus. Hopefully this next spawn will progress beyond wigglers to free swimmers attached now that have their own space, and hopefully feel more secure about the fry's safety...

Yes the Panda, very sad. I put it in a baggie in the freezer. It's our trash day today and my wife asked me if she could take it out of the freezer and throw it away...not ready to take that step yet...

Real Name
    Daniel

Here's the happy couples new love shack...they have laid on the thin pale branch twice already, so let's hope they can get it right next time...
    20181023_233940.jpg
    Thanks for looking!

Real Name
    Joe Zammit

Great to see how far you have come in such a short time Dan....it sure pays to get quality fish from a reputable dealer.
    How's the pair going in the new tank...If i can make a suggestion...turf the rocks and branch, and get yourself a breeding cone.
    We're here for a good time...not a long time

Real Name
    Daniel

Thanks Joe. I am very happy with the visual quality and health of the fish Dennis supplied to me. He was so great to work with as well. Very accommodating and patient. He regularly has adult fish in his imports and I definitely recommend him to anyone looking for quality discus.
    The pair seems to be doing well in their section of the tank. I am on a stretch of 5 x 12hrs nights as of today and they will almost certain spawn again after my big water change today. I am definitely open to the breeding cone idea, it'll be a hot second b4 I can make that change...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast