AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Help! Discus breathing heavy and has discolored growth

Registered Member
    iTrader

Unhappy Help! Discus breathing heavy and has discolored growth

Hello,

I noticed yesterday that my Discus was being very inactive. I have had him for a few months, and he has always swam around and played with the other fish in the aquarium. He is staying near the bottom of the aquarium mostly, breathing fairly heavily. Today, I noticed an odd discoloration between his ventral fins and pectoral fin on the left hand side of his body. It is red and white and appears to be bulging out a bit. I have added a little salt to the water, and have started doing daily water changes (I usually do a water change every 2-3 days). Ammonia and Nitrites are both 0. Temperature is 82F. Any suggestions are appreciated. I have attached an image of the discolored area. I am thinking something fungal, or maybe internal damage, but am not sure.

Update - He has died.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MRFISH93; 10-01-2018 at 02:29 AM.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

Default Re: Help! Discus breathing heavy and has discolored growth

Sorry about this. In my experience once fish start to discolor like this the fish is dying. While these situations bring a lot of new members here to the forum please hang around and introduce yourself. It is a great place to learn about discus and get to know other discus keepers.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member
    iTrader

Thanks for the reply. I have browsed this website for a while now and it has generally been very helpful. Was hoping it was something reversible, but wasn't very hopeful either. I'm sure I'll be around for some time to come .

iTrader
    Real Name
    Mervin

I had a discus that got burned on the heater;looked just like that.Mine was back further on the fin.The discus recovered but took about two years for the wound to disappear,which was a big hole.I just used lots of fresh water and it healed on it's own.There were no internal organs damaged where the burn was.Just putting that out there since it looks the same.