ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Thread: My 125

Default My 125

Due to my back problems I had to close my grooming shop in a small town and move all my grooming stuff to the house. I can't believe I made everything fit. I gave a way all the furniture in my sun room/dining room and turned that room into my grooming room. It's a little tight but it's functional, although not pretty like it was before.

My raised bathing tub fit in my laundry room. Luckily, I had moved the utility sink to the fish room a long time ago so there was water and a drain there.

I looked all over for a place for my 125 I had at the shop. There was zero room for it in the fish room. I had a place for a 5 foot tank in the living room, barely but the 125 is a 6 foot tank. Finally, I realized that if I moved my desk to another wall there was just enough room for the tank and a 50 gallon water storage container along that wall. It took 3 big strong guys to move that tank and the stand. They had to bring the tank in through the window! I was afraid to watch until they told me that they had it in place.

This is the tank I used to refer to as "the happy hunting ground" because I almost never vacuumed the gravel and only changed the water once a week. Despite that, the fish lived! They will get better care now that the tank is in front of my eyes. I'll have to do WC through the window but that's no big deal.

Here's a pic of the tank. I know that real planted tank people have more beautiful tanks, but for me, this is darned good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 10-01-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong pic
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: My 125

That's quite a bit of energy and thought lol... I think it looks awesome!!!

Real Name
    Dave

looks great. I put my 75 on a custom stand that has eight castors under the stand. The castors are each rated for 250lb capacity. I can drain 1/3 to 1/2 the water and slowly roll the tank out from the wall to be able to work on the back side of the tank (routing filter lines for canister filters, cleaning glass, and other such tasks).
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Looking good Liz..for me that is a lovely planted tank as well!! Good job!!

Real Name
    Willie

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    I'll have to do WC through the window but that's no big deal....
    Liz: We got to get a picture of your WC!

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Cyrus

Awesome looking tank!

Also, for a non-discus tank, I personally think WC once a week is kinda over-pampered
    Water change is not just a chore, it's my life now...

Real Name
    Steve

I think it looks great. I'm trying to get a few plants to grow so I can consider something bigger myself. Is that a pic of the tank currently, or are you having to re-do it now that it's in your house?

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Really pretty tank Liz and those angels look big. I bet you are happy it is home now?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Real Name
    Patty

Your tank is beautiful Liz. I think your plants and fish look great. Is it all angels and snails or are there some gouramis in there too?
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Liz: We got to get a picture of your WC!

Willie
    Willie, all I do is stick the hose out the window and give it a suck to get the siphon started and water the grass with the fish water. It's a little slow but it's just one tank. Re-filling is a snap. I have a sump pump in the 50 gallon water storage drum. What I still need are a couple of water alarms because the floor is Pergo and I'm a champion flooder.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueDiscus View Post
    I think it looks great. I'm trying to get a few plants to grow so I can consider something bigger myself. Is that a pic of the tank currently, or are you having to re-do it now that it's in your house?
    It's the tank now, Steve. I bought the Amazon Sword 10 years ago as a tiny thing in a pot. I've had to cut it back numerous times because it was taking over the whole tank. After the move I cut it back seriously.

I bought the two Anubius from a guy here on the fourm. They both have more than doubled in size.

I've never had much luck growing plants but this tank has done well for me. I put rotted goat poop under the substrate. That may have been the reason for my success.

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Really pretty tank Liz and those angels look big. I bet you are happy it is home now?
    Pat
    Some of them are HUGE, Pat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Your tank is beautiful Liz. I think your plants and fish look great. Is it all angels and snails or are there some gouramis in there too?
    Patty
    Thanks Patty. It's 15 Angels, 13 Pearl Gouramis, 4 or 5 BN, and a multitude of snails.
    Last edited by LizStreithorst; 10-02-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Mama Bear

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Looks great Liz! Job well done.
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Filip

Great looking tank Liz .I wonder if you only have that Internal power filter for a filtration on this tank ?

No, Flip. I have a canister in the cabinet the cabinet. I have two of those internal filters one on each end. They are polishing filters, the new replacement for the Magnum 250's. I don't like them much but but them in because when I set up the tank and disturbed the gravel the water was a total mess. I'm going to have to take them out, though. The snails get stuck on the intakes and can't get out.
    Mama Bear