ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I...

Default How do I...

How do I select parts of answers from multiple posts in a thread so I can reply in one post without doing a whole lot of deleting what I don't want?
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Mauro

Default Re: How do I...

When you chose "reply with a quote", the quote will start with follwowint expression betweden brackets [ ]:

QUOTE=usename; number

And will end with the following tag between brackets [ ]:

/QUOTE

Thus "QUOTE username; number" between brackets marks the beginning of the quote and the tag /QUOTE between brackets marks the end of the quote. You can copy and paste text in between the two tags as you want.
    Last edited by DiscusBR; 10-02-2018 at 10:07 AM.

Real Name
    Ricardo

Liz, look at the bottom right of the text body. theres a little box with quote marks(next to reply with quote). Click on this on all of the messages you'd like to reply to. On the final quote you make, rather than hit the above mentioned box. Click on"reply with quote"

Now you can reply to each one in one message

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

I think I've got it. I'm kind of a slow learner when it come to these things. I'll try it and keep at it until I get it right. Thanks!
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Let me know if you need more help. I can circle the correct buttons and send it to you so there is no confusion

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

HA! I got it on my very first try. Now I feel silly for being afraid to ask how to do this years ago. Thanks again, Ricardo.
    Mama Bear

You can copy and paste text in between the two tags as you want.

Oops, that didn't quite work for me - I was trying to quote only that sentence from Mauro's post.
    I guess I didn't copy & paste properly.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickztahone View Post
    Liz, look at the bottom right of the text body. theres a little box with quote marks(next to reply with quote). Click on this on all of the messages you'd like to reply to. On the final quote you make, rather than hit the above mentioned box. Click on"reply with quote"

Now you can reply to each one in one message
    Yes, Ricardo, I know how to do that - what I don't know is how to ONLY quote certain passages (words or sentences) from someone's post - not copy multiple posts and answer/reply to each one separately in the same post - which is what I think you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    How do I select parts of answers from multiple posts in a thread so I can reply in one post without doing a whole lot of deleting what I don't want?
    When I re-read Liz's above post, it sounds like she's asking how to SELECT PARTS OF ANSWERS from a post..... so she can reply to those parts only, without doing a whole lot of deleting - that's what I would like to know how to do (as commented on in my above posts)-

I've seen this many times - where only the PARTS of posts (presumably somehow copied & pasted) appear inside parantheses within the 'reply with quote' that a person chooses to respond to, or comment on.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying, and can tell me how to do it ?

Real Name
    Steve

I've always just had to do all the deleting. If someone has a better way, would be nice to know.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Hey all,

The initial question was:
    Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Ricardo then explained how to do what I'm doing now (quote multiple posts in a single answer).
    You click on this button
    multi-quote.jpg
    below each message you want to quote and then
    press on this button
    replyWithQuote.jpg
    below the final message of the thread that you want to quote.

A "quick reply" area appears:
    captureQuickReply.jpg

You can see what the code looks like (as explained by others in the discussion).

Concerning this:
    Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    Yes, Ricardo, I know how to do that - what I don't know is how to ONLY quote certain passages (words or sentences) from someone's post - not copy multiple posts and answer/reply to each one separately in the same post - which is what I think you're talking about.
    I also thought that it was what Liz asked though I'm not sure.

When I re-read Liz's above post, it sounds like she's asking how to SELECT PARTS OF ANSWERS from a post..... so she can reply to those parts only, without doing a whole lot of deleting - that's what I would like to know how to do (as commented on in my above posts)-

I've seen this many times - where only the PARTS of posts (presumably somehow copied & pasted) appear inside parantheses within the 'reply with quote' that a person chooses to respond to, or comment on.

Does anyone understand what I'm saying, and can tell me how to do it ?
    Yes I think that I understand what you mean.

[...] and can tell me how to do it ?
    From what I know, the only way to quote only part of what someone wrote is to delete some of the text that appears between the "quote" tags.
    In fact, you can also just type whatever you want. For example:

My name is not Paul and I have not written this.
    To conclude the whole story, here is a capture of what part of the reply looks like in text format:
    textReply.jpg

I've probably made it less clear than it was, but I hope that at least one person finds this post somehow useful :P

Thanks for your explanations, Thomas.....

However, Liz said: quote:

"How do I select PARTS of answers from multiple quotes....."

I think that's quite clear - she said she wants to know how to quote only PARTS of answers ...... (which can be from a single post, or multiple posts .... but only PARTS of the comments - meaning to me: only some specific words or sentences from the post or posts.

Is that not how you understand it ?

I've seen it done, where it appears like this:

(QUOTE)

"....... and she said the discus was very sick......"

(QUOTE)

When I've tried to do what Steve said above by deleting everything else in that particular post, it doesn't show up as a partial
    reply with quote at either end, highlighted like it was a copied quote, shown within a box with different letter font, .....

(You've done it in examples shown above Thomas, which seem to be quotes of only some words from a post, and not the entire post.
    Your quotes are inside a box with a different type of text, which is what I want to be able to do.)

When I try it, it comes out as a simple typed copy of the words which I had not deleted - there is no box - no different font - it doesn't look like a true 'reply with quote'.

Anyone agree or disagree with that ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-02-2018 at 01:48 PM.

Yes Paul, that is what I asked. But since I know how to multiple select I think that perhaps I know how to select just part of a post. I haven't done it yet, but I think that you choose the "+ then copy and paste the part that you want to quote.
    Mama Bear

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Sure, that's exactly what I understood. Maybe I wasn't clear enough
    To make it simple, let us say that you want to quote your previous post but only keep the last sentence. You should click on the "reply to post" button. This will automatically generate some text in a new "quick reply" area. It starts with

[QUOT&E=discuspaul;1299559]Thanks for your explanations, Thomas.....

and ends with

Anyone agree or disagree with that ?[/QUOT&E]

Note that I added the "&" characters for the code to show as text.

In order to keep only the last line, you should basically remove everything apart from the beginning code, the part of the text to keep and the ending code.

It should look like this:

[QUOT&E=discuspaul;1299559]
    Anyone agree or disagree with that ?[/QUOT&E]

(without the "&")

And you can then add what you want to say about this quote.

Thomas, there is no "REPLY TO POST BUTTON", as you said above.

Do I click on 'Reply', or 'Reply with Quote', on the right side, or 'Reply to Thread' at the bottom left ?

Whatever I'm doing to try & follow your specific instructions, it's not working - and a couple of times I received a pop-up telling me there ".....weren't enough characters in the message - add....."

and indeed there were at least 10 or 12 letter characters plus the QUOTE signs before & after.

And do I click on the '+' sign (at the extreme right) at any point to accomplish what I' m trying to do ? If so, when & where ?
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-02-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast