AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do I...

Default Re: How do I...

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    Yes Paul, that is what I asked. But since I know how to multiple select I think that perhaps I know how to select just part of a post. I haven't done it yet, but I think that you choose the "+ then copy and paste the part that you want to quote.
    I tried this too Liz, but it doesn't work for me - perhaps this just a bad day for me - I really don't wish to be a continuing bother to anyone - just trying to learn, & I thank you folks for your patience with me.

I know how you feel, Paul. I hate to be a bother, too. I've seen Pat do this many times. Surely she can 'splain it to us.
    Mama Bear

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I tried this too Liz, but it doesn't work for me - perhaps this just a bad day for me - I really don't wish to be a continuing bother to anyone - just trying to learn, & I thank you folks for your patience with me.
    You did it Paul. You can just delete text from that quoted text field and leave whatever you want

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

So I am guessing you guys are looking to include multiple quotes in a reply. As mentioned you click on the "double quotation with the +" to include a quote. When you click on the double quotation the plus sign becomes a check mark. Click on the double quotation again and it returns to the plus sign.

So once you have checked all the replies you wish to include you can click on the "Reply with Quote" to have all the checked quotes included on the reply box.

So now you wish to only include part of one of more of the quotes. This is where careful copy and paste is needed. The easiest way is to simply highlight what you do NOT want and hit the enter bottom the keyboard. If you are doing this on a phone that is a whole new level of pain. When I do a partial quote I try to not change the intent of the original quote. Does this help?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

It helps greatly, Pat. I should try it now, but I'm too afraid I will fail (you know how I am when it comes to things I'm not good at.) When I need to do it I have this post to refer to. Thanks
    Mama Bear

I know how you feel, Paul. I hate to be a bother, too. I've seen Pat do this many times.

Yes,I did it here, didn't I ?

I did do it Ricardo - many thanks - I think I was over-thinking it, and it was less complicated than I thought.
    Last edited by discuspaul; 10-02-2018 at 05:42 PM.

You are less fearful of failing than I am, Paul. Congratulations. You did it!
    Mama Bear

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by discuspaul View Post
    I know how you feel, Paul. I hate to be a bother, too. I've seen Pat do this many times. Surely she can 'splain it to us.
    You are less fearful of failing than I am, Paul. Congratulations. You did it!
    You guys are not a bother so don't worry about it. Best way to conquer it is to play with it. You can also use "Go Advanced" and then "Preview Post" to review what you did.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    So I am guessing you guys are looking to include multiple quotes in a reply. As mentioned you click on the "double quotation with the +" to include a quote. When you click on the double quotation the plus sign becomes a check mark. Click on the double quotation again and it returns to the plus sign.

So once you have checked all the replies you wish to include you can click on the "Reply with Quote" to have all the checked quotes included on the reply box.

So now you wish to only include part of one of more of the quotes. This is where careful copy and paste is needed. The easiest way is to simply highlight what you do NOT want and hit the enter bottom the keyboard. If you are doing this on a phone that is a whole new level of pain.

Pat
    Yes, it certainly does help, Pat - I just removed the last sentence of your above post, by doing just exactly what you said.
    I had not been using the enter button for this before, I had been using the delete button.

Doing this 'maneuver' is still quite a bit of work in a way, at times.

I recall reading a post where a poster quoted at least half dozen or more fairly lengthy posts in a particular thread - then proceed to carefully remove a lot of the commentary from each quote, leaving only the few words or a sentence or two he wanted to take issue with - then follow that up with his lengthy comments on the reasons why he was taking issue with certain specifics of what each poster had said.

I thought at the time - wow, how did he do that ? - and in hindsight of what I've learned here now, I'm quite certain this took the poster quite a long time to put it all together & post it!

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Thomas

Congratulations!
    And yes sorry for using "reply to post" instead of "reply with quote". I was on my phone and did not find a way to check the exact name of the button. Sorry for the confusion.
    I'm happy that you managed to do what you wanted!

You can use the "enter" button on the keyboard or the "delete". They result in similar things.

The problem you stated about not being able to post because there were not enough characters is because it is not possible to post a quote without any comment.

And yes it takes slightly longer than not quoting or that quoting everything. But I'm sure that practice will make it much faster and easier!
    Any way, I'm happy that you took this quoting issue off of your "things that I can't do yet" list

And Liz, feel free to let us know if you have some trouble the next time you try to quote parts of posts!

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswal View Post
    Congratulations!

You can use the "enter" button on the keyboard or the "delete". They result in similar things.

Yes, but it often seems that whenever I use the 'delete' button, I end up screwing things up more often than not. LOL

The problem you stated about not being able to post because there were not enough characters is because it is not possible to post a quote without any comment.

Stupid me - I didn't even think of that when I got the '... not enough words...' pop-up box. My thinking was the quote itself was enough words - not realizing I had to say something myself as the poster.

But I'm sure that practice will make it much faster and easier!

I'm sure it will. Thanks for all your help - much appreciated
    Wonderful of you to take the time to explain , Thomas - thanks again.

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Hank

How do I know the size of a picture or how do I resize a picture?

Real Name
    Willie

Right click on a picture and go to Properties to see its size. Right click and select "Edit Photos" to resize it, then "Done" and "Save". Easy as pie.
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12