pic of month     Australian Blackworms

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I beg you for urgent help

iTrader

Default Re: I beg you for urgent help

I keep all my discus in 380-400 TDS and they do great! The only time I use RO is to increase hatch rates. I've also read where Stendker's are grown out in high TDS. Don't worry so much about the ph, just be confident that you have consistent ph.

I think the issues you are experiencing are mild and easily cured, so treat is as a learning experience.

Liz covered some very good points! This forum is a great resource and everything you need is here. I would hide the books and learn from the people here who have been successful for decades...

Registered Member
    iTrader

Thank you Jeep for your advice. I will read into this forum more for sure. Each book says something else anyway, guess I'll have to learn from experience in the end like you're saying.

That's why I bought only 2 fish and a small tank for the beginning, I knew there would be a lot of learning to do.

I'll keep my fish in TDS of 55 ppm for now though, just because that's what they're used to as they were born and raised in such conditions by the breeder. I don't want to cause them anymore stress by changing water parameters now.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you all so much once again. ♥

Registered Member
    iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I've also read where Stendker's are grown out in high TDS.
    So I did some research and it turns out there are Discus fish intentionally bred to be able to survive in high TDS - for example Stendker's.
    My fish come from a guy who catches wild fish and then breeds them. They were born and raised in very low TDS, so I guess I will have to continue doing so.

Do you guys have any experience keeping such fish or is everyone here only experienced with special kinds of discus like Stendker's?

BTW I'm still doing the metro treatment and my fish look unhappy in this smaller hospital tank but they nibbled a little food today so I'm being hopeful.

Registered Member
    iTrader

Also is so much metro going to stunt the growth of my fish? They're still children - only 6 months old.

Registered Member LizStreithorst's Avatar
    iTrader
    12 (100%)

I am treating a pair of Angelfish for hex. (saw white poo coming from the male) Shortly after I started treatment the pair spawned. 3 days later I have wigglers.

I hope that answers your question about your perceived view that Metro will harm your fish in some way. We have told you several times that Metro is a gentle medication. Believe us now?
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Metro has to be fresh if you can find it. Water Hardness is fine. I always thought that if water was too soft it could leach calicium and mins from the bone structure of the discus and the thus the white spots then hole in the head or body after. Metro for 10 12 days at higher temps works fine. I had hugh hatches with decent amounts of salt and prozi pro in the water. Pairs feel good they breed. Side topic I know but how did the fry turn out on the angels Liz?
    Ed
    "There was no spoon"

iTrader
    12 (100%)

They just started wiggling today.
    Mama Bear

iTrader
    2 (100%)

Would be interested to see how they turn out. will You keep metro in water during first feedings?
    "There was no spoon"

iTrader
    12 (100%)

I'll let you know if I remember. I have 7 treatments to go they should swim free in 3 to 4 days. If they are free swimming I will for sure keep up treatments.
    Mama Bear

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123