AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I beg you for urgent help

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: I beg you for urgent help

Keep us updated with any developments. Hope the situation improves

What's wrong with your tap water than you feel it is necessary to boil it?
    Mama Bear

Quote Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
    What's wrong with your tap water than you feel it is necessary to boil it?
    I'm scared there might be some microbes in it. Also boiling a part of my water before doing the WC helps me to raise the temperature of the water before I pour it into my tank.
    Sorry if it's silly. As I said before, I'm a beginner.

My fish don't look bad and are not lethargic anymore but they still refuse to eat. I'm dosing metro. We'll see if they care a little more about food tomorrow.

And I have another question...

People from other discus forums (European ones) never suggest to dose metro for 10 days. They all say I should do 3 days of metro, then 7 clear days and then another 3 days of metro.
    What do you lovely people think about it? Some say that dosing metro for 10 days will damage livers of my poor pets.

Also assuming my fish are gonna start eating at some point as a results of metro baths, can I continue the treatment in clear water by feeding them food mixed with metro?

And the last one if you don't mind - if I did 3 days of metro before and then had 7 days with no medication, should I do full 10 days now anyway?

Real Name
    Brian

I have read that Metro is actually pretty easy on discus. 10 days is what I was taught so I stick with it. Other meds are not so easy. I would recommend the full 10 day course because you want to be sure you get this taken care of.

More about your water please. Where are you from? Is there any reason to not trust your water supply? You really should not need RO water or have to boil it unless you have extreme conditions.

Thank you jeep for your answer.

I think I'm gonna take your advice and do 10 days of metro this time. I can't seem to find any source of such dosage though. All books and websites advise 3 - 5 days.
    Could anyone link me to some information about it?

I can't put my fish into my tap water because it's very very hard. I live in Europe.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Water parameters vary a lot across Europe as they do in any continent. Here my tapwater is reasonably soft, comes straight out of a mountain, albeit one made of dolomite, but in other areas where it comes from artesian wells and in areas with a lot of agriculture water can be hard and full of nitrates and even pesticides. Water hardness per second is not a big issue at least with domestic strains, but the other nasties that could be in the water have to be ruled out. Keep dosing metronidazole and keep the temperature up (even 34C), do keep the airstone going at full capacity

Paul thank you for your input.

I do keep the water at 33 C and the air pump is set at max.
    And I did test my tap water using tests from a pet store before I bought my RO filter and it really is very hard (over 10 german degrees...). Way too hard for discus as far as I know.

Real Name
    Brian

I'm not sure how to calculate German degrees hardness into TDS, but I really don't think hardness alone should be an issue. Unless you are concerned about bacteria or other pathogens, you may want to increase the ratio of tap water. RO alone is not very good for discus and can cause issues and stress due to the lack of trace minerals.

Jeep I did my research and the conversion is:

My tap water - 180 TDS
    Water in which I keep my discus - 55 TDS
    Last edited by Lynx; 10-07-2018 at 08:46 AM.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

The bloke who bred mine in Bologna grows them out with a TDS of 600 ppm and a dKH of 14...

Paul, that's...That's actually shocking to me.
    Everywhere where I have ever looked for, be it the internet or e-books about discus, they say that this fish needs to be kept in soft and acidic water.
    Sorry I'm just feeling so confused right now... Has everyone been lying to me before?

Like I really no longer know what's true and what's not.

I upped my tap water to RO water ratio to 30% / 70% but guys I'm just so scared rn.

And my fish still don't want to eat. It's been 3 days in metro (500 mg / 10 gallons). Do I bath them in metro for 10 days or for 14 days in total? Do I up the dose from 500 mg per 10 gallons to 1000 mg per 10 gallons?

Why is my fish suddenly so sick when I bought them in perfect health?
    Is 10 or 14 days of metro baths going to cure them once and for all or should I expect more issues in the future?
    What do I do to prevent any further sickness?

I understand your confusion. There is so much misinformation out there. This reminds me of the time a man and his son bought a breeding pair of Discus from me. Their water was right but their eggs hardly ever hatched. I asked them what temp they had the pair at and they said 90 F. I said that the temp was too high, to lower it to 82. They said that the book said 90 and I said that the book was wrong. They reluctantly took my advice and had an excellent hatch rate. When people read something they find it hard to believe that it's not true. That's why they say, "Don't believe everything you read." You know that what you have been told in and read has not worked. Trust us. The real experts are here.

It sometimes takes up to 2 days after the metro treatment is completed before the fish start to eat. It depends on the severity of the infection. I go with 400 mg for 12 days. Many people go with 500 mg for 10 to 14 days. Metro is very easy on fish. Which ever of those doses you prefer will work. You don't need to up the dose to 1000 mg. That will do no good and just be a waste of metro.

Your fish aren't suddenly sick. Fish always carry a certain number of pathogens. When the fish are under stress, the pathogens proliferate to the point that the fishes immune system can no longer keep them in check. I would say that after you solve this problem you will suffer no more problems as long as you keep their environment in the conditions they are happy with.
    Mama Bear

Thank you so much for your answer Liz.
    I really appreciate everyone who's trying to help me here. ♥ Thank you so much peeps.

Ok so I'm gonna do 14 days of 500 mg. So it's 11 days left.
    I keep my fish in 33 C / 91 F while doing that and I have my airstone set at max.

What are your suggested "perfect water conditions" for my discus then?

At the moment I keep my fish in water that has the same parameters as the water of the breeder I bought them from, which is:

TDS - 55 ppm
    pH - 6.5

Doing my best to keep the NO2 at nearly 0 by doing 90% water changes daily.

I also add 1mg of methylene blue to my 10 gallon hospital tank after each water change because when I don't do that I have issues with bacterial bloom. :/ I hope what I'm doing is right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast