AquaticSuppliers.com     Cafepress Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I beg you for urgent help

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: I beg you for urgent help

I keep all my discus in 380-400 TDS and they do great! The only time I use RO is to increase hatch rates. I've also read where Stendker's are grown out in high TDS. Don't worry so much about the ph, just be confident that you have consistent ph.

I think the issues you are experiencing are mild and easily cured, so treat is as a learning experience.

Liz covered some very good points! This forum is a great resource and everything you need is here. I would hide the books and learn from the people here who have been successful for decades...

Thank you Jeep for your advice. I will read into this forum more for sure. Each book says something else anyway, guess I'll have to learn from experience in the end like you're saying.

That's why I bought only 2 fish and a small tank for the beginning, I knew there would be a lot of learning to do.

I'll keep my fish in TDS of 55 ppm for now though, just because that's what they're used to as they were born and raised in such conditions by the breeder. I don't want to cause them anymore stress by changing water parameters now.
    Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you all so much once again. ♥

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    I've also read where Stendker's are grown out in high TDS.
    So I did some research and it turns out there are Discus fish intentionally bred to be able to survive in high TDS - for example Stendker's.
    My fish come from a guy who catches wild fish and then breeds them. They were born and raised in very low TDS, so I guess I will have to continue doing so.

Do you guys have any experience keeping such fish or is everyone here only experienced with special kinds of discus like Stendker's?

BTW I'm still doing the metro treatment and my fish look unhappy in this smaller hospital tank but they nibbled a little food today so I'm being hopeful.

Also is so much metro going to stunt the growth of my fish? They're still children - only 6 months old.

I am treating a pair of Angelfish for hex. (saw white poo coming from the male) Shortly after I started treatment the pair spawned. 3 days later I have wigglers.

I hope that answers your question about your perceived view that Metro will harm your fish in some way. We have told you several times that Metro is a gentle medication. Believe us now?
    Mama Bear

Metro has to be fresh if you can find it. Water Hardness is fine. I always thought that if water was too soft it could leach calicium and mins from the bone structure of the discus and the thus the white spots then hole in the head or body after. Metro for 10 12 days at higher temps works fine. I had hugh hatches with decent amounts of salt and prozi pro in the water. Pairs feel good they breed. Side topic I know but how did the fry turn out on the angels Liz?
    Ed
    "There was no spoon"

They just started wiggling today.
    Mama Bear

Would be interested to see how they turn out. will You keep metro in water during first feedings?
    "There was no spoon"

I'll let you know if I remember. I have 7 treatments to go they should swim free in 3 to 4 days. If they are free swimming I will for sure keep up treatments.
    Mama Bear

Hi again. Sorry I went silent so suddenly, I unexpectedly lost my job and things have been rough...
    Also I'm really sorry I get a bit paranoid sometimes, I suffer from paranoid schizophrenia and even though I'm on my meds, I tend to get a bit overly scared at times, I'm really sorry if it's annoying any of you. ♥ I very much appreciate all the help I received here.

So after I did 10 days of metro treatment, one of my fish has started eating again and the second one nibbled a little bit of food, then stopped eating altogether again. The non eating fish is also suffering from fin rot. Is it possible that parasite infection is cured and the fish refuses to eat solely because of the fin rot? There are no white / gooey feces.
    I did a short term bath (5 hours) in acriflavine (a medication recommended by a pet store vendor), 2 days later fish is still not eating. I just did the bath again and will see if the fish starts to eat tomorrow.
    Both fish also started having mild hole in the head while being treated with metro. The eating fish still has small holes but they seem to be getting better, while the non eating fish seems to be getting worse. I suppose it might be from malnutrition at this point...? I have no real clue to be honest.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Real Name
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    Hi again. Sorry I went silent so suddenly, I unexpectedly lost my job and things have been rough...
    Also I'm really sorry I get a bit paranoid sometimes, I suffer from paranoid schizophrenia and even though I'm on my meds, I tend to get a bit overly scared at times, I'm really sorry if it's annoying any of you. ♥ I very much appreciate all the help I received here.

So after I did 10 days of metro treatment, one of my fish has started eating again and the second one nibbled a little bit of food, then stopped eating altogether again. The non eating fish is also suffering from fin rot. Is it possible that parasite infection is cured and the fish refuses to eat solely because of the fin rot? There are no white / gooey feces.
    I did a short term bath (5 hours) in acriflavine (a medication recommended by a pet store vendor), 2 days later fish is still not eating. I just did the bath again and will see if the fish starts to eat tomorrow.
    Both fish also started having mild hole in the head while being treated with metro. The eating fish still has small holes but they seem to be getting better, while the non eating fish seems to be getting worse. I suppose it might be from malnutrition at this point...? I have no real clue to be honest.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
    With all going on, how are water changes going?

@fljones3 When my fish were in a hospital tank I was doing 100% water changes everyday. Now when they're in a general tank I do 50% water changes every single day.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx View Post
    So I did some research and it turns out there are Discus fish intentionally bred to be able to survive in high TDS - for example Stendker's.
    My fish come from a guy who catches wild fish and then breeds them. They were born and raised in very low TDS, so I guess I will have to continue doing so.

Do you guys have any experience keeping such fish or is everyone here only experienced with special kinds of discus like Stendker's?

BTW I'm still doing the metro treatment and my fish look unhappy in this smaller hospital tank but they nibbled a little food today so I'm being hopeful.
    Hi again,
    Sorry this is going on still for you but a quick note here. You mentioned your fish come from a guy that catches wilds and breeds them? Though I dont doubt thats the breeder may do that the fish you posted dont look like wild stock. Also even if they were derrived from wild recently they can tolerate a wide range of pH and hardness. Its more important to give them stable water that clean to live in.

Where are you located? and what are you currently trying to feed? What have you tried?

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Hi again Al, thank you so much for your response.

I live in Poland, Europe. I think you misunderstood me slightly, my fish are not wild discus of course, but they are not Stendker's. My fish actually come from Andrzej Nowicki - the guy who was the first in the world to breed Heckels in captivity. And even though their wild relatives have been their great, great, great ... great parents, the breeder still kept all his fish in soft and acidic water.

I'm trying all my best to give them stable water parameters, I test my water everyday for nitrites, general hardness and pH.
    While I was doing the metro treatment, I was very very slowly raising the hardness of the water and went from TDS 55 ppm to 90 ppm and I've been keeping this reading stable for a while now.

I'm doing the everyday water changes because I read somewhere that fresh, clean water is super important when dealing with fin rot.

When it comes to food, I only feed a variety of fish foods from a pet store. It's also the foods that my fish both liked to eat before they fell ill.
    Last edited by Lynx; 10-30-2018 at 01:35 PM.

Thanks for the info. ..it helps but still even if they were wilds direct from the amazon they can adapt to a wide range of water parameters is what I am trying to say I guess.

Its been several weeks now of not eating or eating very little.Discus can go a long time but it can get to a point where they no longer will recover. Its important you get these guys eating. Do you have access to any live foods where you live? Live brine shrimp can be an excellent appetite stimulator as can live blackworms or even wild mosquito larvae if all else fails. You should also try freeze dried Australian blackworms if theres a supply near. These foods should stimulate their appetite. You can also try fresh mussels and live compost worms and white worms.
    hth,
    Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast