ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Passing of a Great Man, Jack Wattley RIP

Exclamation The Passing of a Great Man, Jack Wattley RIP

Hi all, I have been told by multiple sources now that Jack Wattley has passed away. I spent hours after hours reading his articles in my younger years and learned much from this incredible Discus Breeder. The hobby owes him much and I know That we have lost a great one of our Ranks.

I know he has moved on but I want to thank him again for all he gave our hobby.

Rest in Peace Jack Wattley, and Thank you!

Al
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Brian

Default Re: The Passing of a Great Man, Jack Wattley RIP

Wow. I've been reading his books and articles since I was 9 years old. He was one of the early pioneers of this hobby and we all owe him a debt of gratitude for sharing his knowledge..

Jack was just shy of his 97th birthday. I hope his long life was happy and fulfilling. If it weren’t for the pictures of Wattley turquoise that I saw in books as a kid, I probably wouldn’t have started keeping cichlids. I’ve read so many books and articles featuring Wattley. He was a pioneer to our hobby. Rest In Peace, Mr. Wattley. My thoughts are with his family.

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

In 1988 I saw discus for the first time. There were 6 of his Turquoise discus in the tank of a fellow fish club member at a meeting at her home. I have had them almost ever since. Thank you Jack!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Real Name
    Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Jack was just shy of his 97th birthday. I hope his long life was happy and fulfilling. If it weren’t for the pictures of Wattley turquoise that I saw in books as a kid, I probably wouldn’t have started keeping cichlids. I’ve read so many books and articles featuring Wattley. He was a pioneer to our hobby. Rest In Peace, Mr. Wattley. My thoughts are with his family.
    I couldn't have said it better myself.

Click here to view my 75g Acrylic Tank w/ Bean Animal Overflow with 40g Sump Thread

Also, click here for my 25 group of discus grow out thread

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/162117...ht=75&width=75
    Want to look like Al did at his ACA talk with his white Simply Polo shirt?(You can catch Al's awesome Discus talk HERE)
    You can get this and many more items such as T-shirts/Polos/hoodies/cups from our merchandise shop:
    Cafepress.com

Registered Member
    Real Name
    Raja

RIP May his soul rest in peace. Though
    I LOVE DISCUS KING OF AQUARIUM

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

I am sorry to hear this. I have "heard" of Jack throughout my life but it wasn't until I got into discus that I understood his impact on the discus world. MY heart goes out to his family.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

I spent a great deal of time reading & continually looking forward to Jack's monthly articles in Tropical Fish Hobbyist magazine, to which I was subscribed for at least 20 years.

He's the one who very definitely had me so interested in discus, that when I heard my employer was transferring me to Singapore from Canada in 1976, with a little research I knew that was the place for me to get seriously involved in discus- keeping and that's exactly what I did - that's what got me hooked and that's where I am to this day - discus are my favorite fish to keep as a hobbyist - even more so than the many beautiful varieties of saltwater fish I've also kept over the years as well.

Very talented man, Jack Wattley - RIP !

Real Name
    Filip

Rest in peace Jack .My condolences to his family.

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

I join all the above in mourning the passing of a pillar of Fishkeeping. I already missed his regular column on TFH, first thing I used to read even before ever thinking of keeping discus, sad hear he is no longer with us

Gold Member
    Real Name
    James Walker

Found this post on the Jack Wattley Discus facebook page, posted by Gabe the current owner of Jack Wattley Discus:

My condolences to the entire Wattley family and all his friends and followers around the world. Jack Wattley passed away last night with his family. To me he was my friend Jack since 1991. Very rarely did we talk about Discus instead we talked about our families. Maybe this friendship strengthened our partnership. I show you pictures of Jack and my children...they too called him Jungle Jack.
    Again not about me or my family. But about the tremendous dedication and devotion to the Discus fish which he had.
    He shall be missed and now he is free to explore without the physical limitations which his 95 year old body gave him. He missed his 96Th birthday by 7 days.
    Safe travels Jack

Real Name
    Dale

RIP Jack. He was considered the pinnacle of discus husbandry when I got into the hobby back in the late 80's; I still have several of his publications on my bookshelf. I firmly believe the hobby would not be what it is today if not for him. Fair winds and following seas Jack
    100 discus display * (2) 55 discus breeders * (4) 29 breeder tanks/fry tanks*
    (2) 55 discus grow out * 40 Hex discus * 265 saltwater predator tank *
    150 saltwater FOWLR * 75 gal reef * 20 coral frag

Registered Member

Rip

Registered Member

He was a great personal friend

-joeGargasMe and Jack Wattley.jpg

Registered Member

Had some of his fish. Read his books and got to meet him once. A very nice man and a pioneer. RIP Jack.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast