AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Uncle Sam's Update

iTrader

Default Uncle Sam's Update

I received these guys on July 18th. 3 Eruptions and 3 Curipera Cross. At first, they seemed to be very nice... round bodies and very nice coloring. After a few days, I noticed one of the Curipera's had white stringy feces, and upon closer examination I could see that it was skinnier than the rest and although it was up front and active at feeding time, it was not eating. I raised the temp to 93 for 10 days and added some salt and it came out of it immediately. However, soon after the heat treatment, one of the Eruptions stopped eating and kept its nose in the back corner of the tank. This time, I ordered some metro from Jehmco and ran a full tank treatment with metro and 93 temp. This seemed to do the trick. All of these guys are very aggressive eaters and are putting on size and weight. I feed them about 8 times per day and they hunt down every piece of food until all is gone, lol...

Overall, I am pleased with these discus. They are outgrowing their 40g QT tank and, after 3 months, I'm confident enough to end QT and give them a bigger home!!!

Curipera Cross
    uncle sams 1.jpg

Curipera Cross and Eruption
    uncle sams 2.jpg

Group shot attacking beef heart!!
    uncle sams.jpg

iTrader
    Real Name
    Bill

Default Re: Uncle Sam's Update

Looking good! Thanks for sharing your experience with them, too. I like the varieties quite a bit as well. What are your plans for them from here?

iTrader

Quote Originally Posted by Tshethar View Post
    Looking good! Thanks for sharing your experience with them, too. I like the varieties quite a bit as well. What are your plans for them from here?
    Well, my first plan is to grow them out as healthy as possible. As far as breeding them, I've always been a fan of Eruptions. I'd like to pick up a few more from a different source. Or possibly cross one of them with the little ones from the contest if I can get those going strong. As far as the Curipera, I'm not sure. I like the wild look they have. Either pick up a few more Curipera's or maybe cross with Rose Red or Red Cover.

Then build a bigger house, lol...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    iTrader
    9 (100%)
    Real Name
    Pat

They look great Brian, I think a pairing of the Eruptions with one of the snakes (fry) would be a great pairing
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

iTrader

Very nice fish. I have an Alenquer F1 pair from Uncle Sam's that I am really happy with. Especially the male.

iTrader
    Real Name
    Filip

Great looking discus Brian . Im a fan of eruptions and LSS too so I hope to see them breed for you with Als current fry you raise .