ChicagoDiscus.com     Cafepress Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uncle Sam's Update

Default Re: Uncle Sam's Update

Sorry to hear about the loss Brian When you noticed the bloat why haven't you considered using epsom salt as the first step ?

I agree about medications, its very expensive at LFSs and they are not 100% pure too. I started stacking Metro and Kanamycin as well. I'm starting to consider adding PP to my grow out tanks every 1 or 2 months just to remove any harmful bacteria in the tank. I've noticed Jack Wattley is been doing that even to smaller fry tanks.

Real Name
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by sanjay21 View Post
    Sorry to hear about the loss Brian When you noticed the bloat why haven't you considered using epsom salt as the first step ?
    Thanks Sanjay, I did use epsom salt, just forgot to say it. It seemed to be clearing the gut but didn't reduce swelling...

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Gotcha mate, so still a bit of a mystery.
    Thanks for replying. Hope all goes well with the remaining 5!
    Cheers,
    Danny

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Thanks Sanjay, I did use epsom salt, just forgot to say it. It seemed to be clearing the gut but didn't reduce swelling...

Yeah ! I've been in those situations..

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    Well, on the very day I last updated, the same Eruption began falling ill again, but this time it was different. About 3 days after it stopped eating I noticed swelling in the stomach, and after talking to Al, I decided to go with another hex treatment with 4x the dose of metro. The swelling continued, even into the eyes so I ordered some Kanamycin from Jehmco. Unfortunately, it was too late and I lost the discus this morning. It's a shame because it was beautiful.

I've never had this sort of issue in the past and was not prepared. It taught me the importance of having certain meds on-hand, especially Metro and Kanamycin. The standard LFS supplies are too expensive and not the same as a good brand of bulk medicine. I've also decided to de-worm all my fish, and future fish, with Prazi and Flubendazole as a precaution because I think there was more than just hex going on.

Although I'm confident in the remaining 5 discus, this shipment has just not been 100% right from day one. I just hope anyone reading this thread can see the history and learn the signs on what to look for. I also have decided not to release them from QT until another 6 weeks after de-worming...
    Bummer Bummer Bummer!
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12