ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Block Aquarium Filters

Default Big Block Aquarium Filters

Hi all,
    I am really pleased to introduce to you and welcome our newest Sponsor, Joie and Big Block Aquarium Filters. A Little history is in order here first though. Back in August I was contacted by a member by the name of Joie regarding becoming a sponsor. In our discussions he told me about a filter that he had designed and was starting up a business to market it. I am always intrigued by new ideas and I really like what Joie described as to the filter design and functioning. I offered to test the filter for him if he needed anyone to do this. This was back in the beginning of August. Joie was enthusiastic and sent me one to try.

I won't go into my experiences in detail in this thread as I am working on a more detailed review that I hope to post latter today or tomorrow but needless to say I was very impressed, not just with the filter which I think is just brilliant, but also with Joie. I gave Joie feedback as I could over the last 2 months and he listened to this feedback intently. I could see he truly appreciated it and wanted to improve his products where he could. Its always refreshing to work with someone that puts their heart into something and has drive and initiative. We discussed me trying the filter out back in August and then talking about sponsorships...Today I am thrilled to welcome him on as Sponsor.

I will let Joie introduce himself and tell you about his filters. I think these filters are really a great idea and well made.. They make use of 3 different biological medias, look really sharp, and best of all are Air Driven! I have been running my test filter with an inexpensive Whisper 60 pump and its been more than adequate as an air source.

Welcome aboard Joie!!! and best wishes for success with this Venture!

Al
    Last edited by brewmaster15; 02-08-2023 at 09:26 AM.
    AquaticSuppliers.com Freeze Dried BlackWorms and other foods your Discus will Love!!!

>>>>>I am a science guy.. show me the science minus the BS

Al Sabetta
    Simplydiscus LLC Owner
    Aquaticsuppliers.com

I take Pics.. click here for my Flickr images

Real Name
    Steve

Default Re: Welcome aboard Joie and Big Block Aquarium Filters!

Hello Joie and thanks for joining SD's group of sponsors! Good luck with your new filter enterprise. It looks very interesting.
    Steve

Welcome, Joie. Looking forward to seeing your product in Al's review. It certainly has a more refined look than the ugly sponges a lot of us use.

Registered Member

Thanks Al for the intro! I'm definitely excited to be a sponsor on Simplydiscus!

As Al mentioned, my name is Joie (pronounced Joey) and I've been a member of Simplydiscus for a few years now. I've raised discus since the 80's off-and-on and can remember getting Wattleys back in the day. Anyhow, my latest return to the discus keeping hobby began towards the end of 2017. I noticed a lot of new strains and I've always been partial to albinos. While doing my homework, I came across moving bed filters and was intrigued. The problem for me was trying to find a source other than a DIY set up. Not to take anything away from doing things yourself and saving a few bucks, but I didn't care for the look of an upside down 2 liter Coke bottle in my aquarium. That got me thinking...

Fast forward a couple of weeks and the idea of the Big Block filter hits me. I wanted a filter that could handle a large bio load without having to resort to a sump system, a large canister or HOB and was simple to set up and use. I also didn't care for all of the "accessories" that come with raising discus cluttering my tank, which for me would be a filter (usually a sponge), a heater and a breeding cone. The Big Block filter took care of all that.

While the filter is not small by any means, as Al mentioned it does incorporate three different types of filtration...a moving bed, static bio media and a sponge filter. The housing and end caps are made of PVC and are durable and easy to clean. There's also a clear plexi "window" that allows you to monitor the media to know when it's time to clean it, as well as show the moving bed at work. It's an internal filter so you don't have to worry about leaking hoses, or power outages shutting off your canister filter. It does run on air, so if your air pump shuts off, the circulation will stop, but at least the nitrifying bacteria won't die off as quickly (I've had many a canister filter stop working and when I got it back on, the water that went into the tank was disgusting to say the least). An added benefit is it serves as a breeding surface for discus and angelfish.

Large_Filter_2_720x.jpg

There's a lot more info on the website and pictures of the filter as well. Please take a look when you have some time and let me know if you have any questions.

Joie
    Last edited by Second Hand Pat; 10-04-2018 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Added pic.

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Joie, welcome to Simply's family of sponsors. Your Big Box filter sounds intriguing. Sort of an "all in one" unit. Would you like for me to post one of your filter images here?
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Joie I think you were alluding to this in your post as you shared the history of how you came to construct the filter, but is it possible to place a heater inside the big box tower hiding it from view in the tank?
    Thanks mate, and welcome TO SD as a sponsor!
    Danny

Registered Member

Hi Pat,

If you don't mind posting a pic, I'd appreciate it!

Joie

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    Joie I think you were alluding to this in your post as you shared the history of how you came to construct the filter, but is it possible to place a heater inside the big box tower hiding it from view in the tank?
    Thanks mate, and welcome TO SD as a sponsor!
    Danny
    Hi Danny,

Yes, I can definitely add a heater into the filter. I don't have it offered on the site just yet because I'm bringing in some heaters that I plan to offer as a package. Also, I know folks have their preferences when it comes to heaters and I can customize the filter of your choice to work with the brand/size you need.

I'll post some pics later of one of the heated filters I have in my tank.

Joie

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.BigBlock View Post
    Hi Pat,

If you don't mind posting a pic, I'd appreciate it!

Joie
    Hi Joie, I added the pic to post 4. Hope the placement is ok.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Second Hand Pat View Post
    Hi Joie, I added the pic to post 4. Hope the placement is ok.
    Pat
    Awesome, thanks Pat!

Joie

SimplyDiscus Sponsor and MVP Nov.2015 Disgirl's Avatar

Welcome Joie! I like your new filter, what a clever idea. I see you live in a wonderful place!
    Barb

Delightful Designs Discus Cones by Barb -- Check out my Sponsor section --HERE--!

Registered Member

Thanks Barb, living in Hawaii has its perks! Although, we've had to deal with some pretty rough occurrences lately...floods, hurricanes, wild fires and lava. Can't recall the last time all this happened in such a short span of time...

Joie

Real Name
    Patty

Welcome new sponsor! I like the sleek style and the idea being able to see inside. Will look great in a discus tank. Very cool Joie!
    Patty
    If the discus are happy, I’m happy

Real Name
    Brian

Welcome Joie!!! I was looking at your site. Very interesting!!!

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pices View Post
    Welcome new sponsor! I like the sleek style and the idea being able to see inside. Will look great in a discus tank. Very cool Joie!
    Patty
    Thanks Patty!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast