ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: My Auto water change

Registered Member

Default My Auto water change

My Aquarium in being set up to run on an autowater system / drip system.

Im going 12 to be getting 2 - 2.5 inch baby stendkers. The water will be about 1/3 ro water 2/3rds and at this point im guessing a ph of about somewhere between 7.8 and 8.2.

The system is attached to a pump that every 3 hours will pump out about 75 liters of water, Every 24 hours about 450 to 500 liters. this is between 80 and 90% per day.

I'll be doing daily wipe downs and siphoning the food off the bottom a couple of times a day.

Any thoughts on this system

Mick

Real Name
    Willie

Default Re: My Auto water change

Very doubtful you'll need R/O to raise baby Stendkers. Keep It Simple is my mantra.

Willie
    At my age, everything is irritating.

Registered Member

Ph can head up to 9 so that’s why ro, mixing brings it down to high 7s or low 8s. Even stendkers ! This is as kiss as I can make it.

Any thoughts on the on the rest of it ?? Has anybody tried anything like this

Mick

Real Name
    Filip

Quote Originally Posted by MickO'S View Post
    Ph can head up to 9 so that’s why ro, mixing brings it down to high 7s or low 8s. Even stendkers ! This is as kiss as I can make it.

Any thoughts on the on the rest of it ?? Has anybody tried anything like this

Mick
    My oppinion would be to set up your auto WC system to do one big WC at the end of the day instead of 7 small WCs throughout the day. it's more efficient when it comes to diluting organics that way .

Registered Member

Can’t set it up like that,
    I don’t have the space for storage of 500l per day for aging purposes.
    My tap water can change from 150 ppm to 250 ppm TDS from one day to the next, it can go from ph 8.2 to 9.1. One day it can have a low chlorine content, the next you can smell the chlorine from the tap as a kettle fills from across the room.
    This was tested with another tank for 3 years with the thought of keeping discus as the ultimate goal.
    On several occasions the more delicate fish got wiped out straight after a 2/3rds water change and no way back as the fix for this is the very water that killed them.

I suppose that’s why I’m asking has anybody done something like this ?
    I understand it’s not optimal but what do people think of this system I’m proposing and can it be tweaked to be better.

Thanks for the reply’s

Mick
    Last edited by MickO'S; 10-11-2018 at 04:37 AM.

Real Name
    Filip

I think it would be still manageable that way if you are
    willing to put a little extra work .
    Go Bare bottom and be diligent with the rest of the maintenance such as regular daily siphoning , glass wipes , keeping clean filter materials , not overfeeding and avoiding frequent messy feeds etc. and your WC regime will suffice their growing needs .