AquaticSuppliers.com     Golden State Discus

Thread: Tiny bubbles in my hair, and on the floor and everywhere

Real Name
    Dave

Default Tiny bubbles in my hair, and on the floor and everywhere

So a number of years ago I purchased some diseased discus from an online vendor that now has so many threads on various fish forums (including here) about his lack of ethics and poor stock that I had to strip down a quarantine tank and bleach it.

So I used a 10:1 concentrate of bleach to water and got that tank and filter nice and sparkly clean, and hey it even smelled clean. Once I was done cleaning this 20 gallon tall tank I took and dumped the water (well you know, except for that little bit that is kept in the tank by the brace/rim of said tank).

I filled the tank with water, and filled the Tetra Whisper HOB filter (the one for up to 40 gallons) with water and started the filter, and all was good. Wrong..... I came back 20 minutes later to bubbles from the bleach that was still in the tank and filter all over the floor.. the tank looked like someone had put liquid dish soap in the dishwasher. There were bubbles everywhere.

So I got to turn off the filter, wipe up the floor, tank and tank stand, and then I siphoned off about five gallons of water from the tank, and started the filter again. I thought this was the fix, and boy was I wrong again as I came back after a half hour to bubbles everywhere a second time.

So I drained the remaining water, filled the tank and wiped it down with a clean rag, and drained it again, and filled it a third time.

The third time I filled the tank and turned the filter on there were just a hint of bubbles on the surface which lasted until the bleach eventually evaporated.

I still use this tank today, but with a different filter as the old filter wore out, and I use the tank as a grow out tank for bristlenose Plecostomus (lemon drop color strain).

So now you can have a laugh, and share your own story about bubbles.
    God is the artist, he merely allows me to see and capture his work . http://davesphotography7055.zenfolio.com/ coupon code: angelfish
    some of my work accepted by Pentax (the camera bodies I use): http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/davidgray

Real Name
    Take a wild guess

Default Re: Tiny bubbles in my hair, and on the floor and everywhere

Thanks for sharing, I wonder what additives your bleach contained. I use plain bleach by the gallon (cleaning after the 30+ rescue dogs) and never seen a single bubble

Real Name
    Mervin

Default Re: Tiny bubbles in my hair, and on the floor and everywhere

My thoughts not 100% pure bleach;some do have additives.Best to buy the no name brands and cheaper ones.