ChicagoDiscus.com     Golden State Discus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: breeding discus

Registered Member

Default breeding discus

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated to solve this problem. I used to be able to breed discus when I lived in a major city and now I have moved to a small town with a deferent water system. It is is reverse os.mosis and the tds is around 25 from the tap. It has been 2 years now and Im cant even get my discus to pair off, you would think this is perfect water. I have tried everything raising temp, deferent food,water changes. I recently purchased a few young pairs and when I brought them home they started cleaning the cones but now have stopped and show no interest.,I have a total of 24 discus so some must pair and lay eggs. I should note that I have angles as well and have absolutely no problems breeding them in this water. Is it possible the tds is to low. Thank you for your comments

Registered Member

Default Re: breeding discus

I should mention a friend of mine has a female that was laying eggs on a weekly basis very regular he lent her to me and she quit laying it has been about 3 weeks

Registered Member

I am open to any suggestions anyone might have there is something that is missing maybe the water is to soft

Real Name
    Brian

You seem to have tried some good ideas. Just a thought, try going back to all tap water, for a bit. Then maybe add some RO back. Sometimes playing with the water chemistry can get something going.

Just be careful not to cause a ph crash with extremely low ph.

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Jeep I think he is saying that the "town water" is RO, as strange as that sounds...springer can you plz clarify that for us? If that is the case you may need to learn how the keepers of wild discus remineralize RO water. Sorry I cannot be of more help mate, your situation is beyond my knowledge/experience level...

Administrator and MVP Dec.2015 Second Hand Pat's Avatar
    Real Name
    Pat

Hi Springer, I would suggest adding a product to add minerals to your "RO" water and bring the TDS up to about 70. I use RO Right myself.
    Pat
    Your discus are talking to you....are you listening

Registered Member + MVP danotaylor's Avatar
    Real Name
    Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by danotaylor View Post
    you may need to learn how the keepers of wild discus remineralize RO water.
    I had you in mind when I wrote this Pat

Registered Member

Do u think a tds of 35 is enough to stop them from breeding I can raise the tds to 80 by using replenish but would that make that much of a difference. Thanks for the replies

Real Name
    Pat

The way I look at it Springer is what you are doing now is not working so try something different providing it is not harmful to the fish.
    Pat

Registered Member

Yes Pat u are so right. What I have changed so far is I raised the tds to 150 and I also am doing colder water changes. Did a major one today the temp was 85 and knocked it down to 80 a good 50% water change.

Real Name
    Pat

Hi Springer, could you post pics of your fish? Also what are you feeding them? Best to look at the big picture
    Pat

My TDS from tap is around 130 the last I checked. I put it straight into the tank. I have a pair that have been laying about 300 eggs each spawn lately and definitely hatch about 90% within that water. Sorry if I missed it, but did you check to see what your friends water was? And also, sometimes just moving them May abruptly cause them to stop playing for a while. Just don't overthink it! Keep them happy and it will happen. Usually I have one or two pairs actively breeding and then they will stop but then other pairs will start again. This past year they all pretty much stopped at the same time and now it seems like they are all starting to ramp it back up at the same time.
    -Elliot

Registered Member

My friends tds was 200 I have a couple pairs that dance for each other and always swim side by side and peck at each other but are not interested in cleaning the spawning cone, one of my pairs was cleaning the cone but quit however they seem very interested in each other hope they start cleaning the cone again. In the meantime my angels are breeding and laying eggs constantly they I have to stop.

Real Name
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by springer View Post
    My friends tds was 200 I have a couple pairs that dance for each other and always swim side by side and peck at each other but are not interested in cleaning the spawning cone, one of my pairs was cleaning the cone but quit however they seem very interested in each other hope they start cleaning the cone again. In the meantime my angels are breeding and laying eggs constantly they I have to stop.
    Did you raise your TDS Springer or did something else trigger the activity?
    Pat

Registered Member

I will post some pics soon just been very busy. I raised the tds to about 150 I suppose one should be patient things will take a while. Thank you for the reply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast